Jagmaster Mod Project

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by Botso, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    I scored a Jagmaster off reverb. Here is my plan so far.

Phase one -

Replace Pickguard - It will be cut from WDMUSIC. I live in the town they are located.
    Replace Tuners - Want something that fits that are black.
    Replace Trem - Want something that fits that is black.

Pick Guard - I'm going to attempt to do make this things pretty cool (my opinion of cool).
    It will be cut for HSS with a five way switch. I plan to use GFS REDACTIVE pickups with (if i can find a used one cheap.) fishman strat trem rechargeable battery back plate.

Future plan will be to refinish the guitar.

I NEED YOUR HELP - does anyone have recommendations for the tuners or trem replacements in black? Thanks everyone and i'll post an update as soon as I get the guitar.

2. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Very interested in the pickguard. There is no stock aftermarket pickguard for these guitars.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Yes. I use Allparts mini locking tuners. I have them on several guitars. They are great tuners! Ive bought a black Musiclily bridge for a guitar that I was blacking out. It worked fine. Its not a Gotoh, But you're also not paying $70. If you want a better quality bridge just look up black Stratocaster bridges on eBay. They have them at every price point.

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    I don't see the point of converting a Jagmaster to a Strat layout....when you could just have a Strat for that....? lol

5. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    Did you you put them on a Jagmaster though?

6. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    I want the offset body.

7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    I can see that, if it suits you and is more comfy etc.....can't wait to see it finished!

Kenneth Mountain and Botso like this.
  8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Not on my Jagmaster. But the tuners are the same style as my SE Stratocasters. The trem in a Jagmaster is a Strat 2 1/16" trem. At least my 2006 jag was.

9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Welcome to Squier Talk ! Cool Project ! Pic's when you can !

Taurus likes this.
  10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Jagmasters come stock with Strat bridge/trems. Mine had Duncan Designed HBs with push/pull coil splitting. Same style tuners as a SE.

11. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I just looked at some old photos of my Jagmaster and i am not correct about the tuners. It looks like they are either one pin or two pin sealed tuners. If I was you I would take one tuner out to see what you have.

12. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    Small Update-

1. Jagmaster will arrive Monday. I will take and post picture.

2. I was thinking about those RedActive pickups but they are out of stock. I found some used EMGs. 89/Sa/Sa those should arrive around the same time.

13. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
  14. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    Does anyone know for sure if the guitar fetish import Trem fits on the 2007 jagmaster? About to pull the trigger on it.

15. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    UPDATE:

I scrapped the idea of using the REDActive pick ups from guitarfetish. I picked up a used set of EMG 89/sa/sa with the solderless harness.

I did however order the black import Trem from Guitarfetish. Should look nice on the guitar

Still haven’t pulled the trigger on the tuners yet.

The neck plate and nobs I want from amazon. Has anyone used any of these before? I’m looking at Black tele nobs but they all have mixed reviews.

Lastly the finish. I believe I will strip the guitar and do a tru oil finish. That natural wood look with the blacked out hardware will look amazing (IMO).

When the guitar comes in on Monday I’ll post pictures!

16. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I'm not sure if you have stripped / refinished a body before but I would suggest you have a "Plan B" solid colour in your back pocket. Not all bodies lend themselves to a natural finish.

17. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    :( Hoping it works out and has a great wood grain. Otherwise I don’t really have a particular color in mind. I’ll get there when I get there. I have watched about every refinishing video on you tube though.:D

18. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

A caution on the Tele knobs ... some are made with grub screws to hold onto solid shafts while others have plastic inserts to match to split-splined shafts. Sometimes mixing the push-on type knobs to pots creates an uneven number/spacing of spline teeth (mostly to do with Imperial/Metric sourcing of the two separate parts) -- just check before you hammer them on and collapse the pot split shaft which could end in trying to straighten the split end and breaking off one side resulting in a pot replacement project.

I've considered a similar project but using more of the Robbie Robbins SSS Strat layout of pushing the middle Strat pickup back next to the bridge pickup so it looks like an HS guitar, but with the 5-way and a series push/pull option. Easy to use and remember controls. Two regular plain Jane 6kohm Strat coils in series make for a 12kohm hot humbucker (50% more output than a PAF). If running more often with a humbucker then push/pull tone knob gets set so 'down' is series and pull up for classic SSS.

Kenneth Mountain and Botso like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice