Jack Pearson gigs with a used Squier Bullet strat he purchased for $87

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by SoleilSF, May 22, 2019.

1. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    Go to time 3:50, though the whole video is excellent!!

Jack Pearson, one of the best guitar players on our planet, gigs with or plays a used Squier Bullet strat he purchased for $87.

--

techowiz, RoyalWe, DrBeGood and 13 others like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

A favorite video of mine.

Kenneth Mountain and SoleilSF like this.
  3. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Just goes to show ya it is all in the fingers.

4. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    What started this post? The following video did... which also has a jack Pearson mention and his Squier Bullet Strat.

--

fattboyzz and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    FYI, just got a flier for Guitar Center's memorial day sale: 20190523_015220.jpg Squier Bullet Strat HSS limited edition $30 off... $99.99

--

6. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Man, if only I liked black hardware... :-/

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I'm thinking about getting one of these.

When does the sale start ?

SoleilSF and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I don't know. Really? I'm always looking for talent that's new to me. Sell me on this guy, because as far as I can find, he played in the Allman Brother Band during the on-again/off-again 1990s, and doesn't even warrant his own Wikipedia page. His play in the video was fine.

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. I'd be happy to be enlightened.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Here is some enlightenment....

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Not having a Wikipedia page doesn't say much about a musician's ability. He has lots of videos on YouTube if you're interested in his playing. I'm hoping to get out to Nashville to see him live sometime before too long.

five teles and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I never heard about this guy before I came to the forums but I love that he talks about how his guitars are custom made for him in Indonesia.

Squier for life!

CVSteve and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I don’t think he’s bad...but “best on the planet” would have a Wikipedia page, right? The wiki page on the Allman Brothers Band lists 20 former members, 5 I’ve heard of. I’m just saying that he’s one of the four listed who doesn’t have his own page.

I’m not making any judgement about him. Like I wrote, I don’t know him, It’s the one of the best in the world claim that perked my attention.

13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
  14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Apparently not. :)

My own evaluation is that he is truly one of the top guitar players in the world. It's a bit like Roy Buchanan, who while he was alive was sometimes called the best unknown player in the world.

surf green and daan like this.
  15. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    --
    @fattboyzz

GC sale dates: May 23 to May 28

Their own Mitchell brand double cut away is 1/2 price at $99 too.

--

IMG_20190523_085425.jpg

Attached Files:

fattboyzz likes this.
  16. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Granted, but the word "unknown" is an important qualifier, yes?

I think all points have been made. Happy day to you. :)

17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Maybe there is good tonewood up on candy mountain Charlie :eek::eek:

Dr Improbable likes this.
  18. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    Swedish Guitar Nerd: Love this guy's reviews ... this is about the Squier Strat Affinity model

"If the head stock had Fender written on it ... I would not have been able to tell the difference."

Paraphrasing the next quote in video: "I have played MIM Fender's that suck compared to this Affinity model"

--

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  19. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Ok I wasn't going to say anything again on this post, but then this...

I really love my Squiers. I think most are a good to excellent value. I think many play and sound very nice.

BUT, I'm sorry, the hyperbole needs to get rained in. These quotes are absurd.

I think I've owned 15+ Squiers and worked on dozens more.

I can believe that there are good and bad examples of every model. I cannot believe that anyone who has spent any time with the Fender line can think that a MiM and an Affinity are so close as to be virtually indistinguishable. Not by look. Not by feel. Not by tone.

Now I can believe that a person can like an Affinity better than other Fender/Squier models--heck, my Bullet is probably the guitar I play most frequently recently, and I have two MiMs and a MiA--but insofar as having an understanding of what a Strat generally is (historically, and most commonly) across all tiers, there is simply no way I can buy those opinions as informed and honest.

And, while I would have made the same response if the comparison was not Affinities, but Bullets or Standards, I have to admit that I think since the modern Bullets came into their own, I find the Affinity line to be the weakest offering, weakest value, and easily replaceable by the much better valued Bullets.

But agree or not with every one or any of my points, we need to stop hyping everything. Every dang thing is the best in the world or the difference between a Fiat and Bugatti is indistinguishable. Stop saying things that make you look ridiculous. I mean, it bugs me, but let's lay of the hyperbole for your sake.

For example:

This actually seems about right to me. His play is solid. It's not innovative or an example of the genre which is mind-blowing in its expression. He's a very good player, and to me, it seems he's probably playing where he should be--in what appears to be a modest sized bar. He's a good player, but from the few videos I've seen, he's not changed the direction of the genre, nor has he taken hold of it. He's good, but I know a lot of good players.

There is nothing wrong with being a solid guitarist. There's nothing wrong with liking a solid guitarist. I'm a fan of a bunch of players who didn't change the world, and that's fine. That's 99% of live music. We need these folks. If he were in my wheelhouse, yeah I'd travel to see him. But I think people need to offer a little more than that to be talked about as best players on the planet. It's tired and cliche, but there's a reason that Page, Beck, Clapton, and many others are considered the worlds best. It's not just in their play or in their catalog, it's that music changed because of what they did. And these days you'll even get arguments on these old timers.

My point is, it's ok to say "this Affinity strat is a remarkable value, and it feels and plays great, but the pickups aren't remotely traditionally voiced, the body is light, and the finish is cheap." That doesn't mean it's bad. It means it is what it is. Saying that this $200 Affinity was awesome and $600+ MiMs are garbage" is nonsense. It's exaggeration to make an emotional point, but when it goes that far, it just isn't reputable anymore.

So that was long. Sorry. Feel free to TLDR. Nothing personal at all here. It's why I cannot watch Anderton's anymore. At a certain point every product cannot be amazing.

RoyalWe, DJGranite, Bassman96 and 2 others like this.
  20. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri

Yeah that's what I say too!!!

RoyalWe likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice