It's Just Not Working

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Big George, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Big George

Big George Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    I bought my first Squier in January 2018 and now, 9 months later, I'm giving up. It's a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster in white, and I've enjoyed playing it,............. some of the time. I got the bridge sorted out, ... mostly, restrung it with flat wound 11s, the best move on this guitar, fiddled with every sound possibility through a Boss 50, even with the add in online programs, and it's just not doing it for me. I can almost get the sounds I want, blues, jazz, country, old school rock and surf, ... almost. There's an inconsistency from when I get the sound right, but then the next time I plug in, the sound is off and I have to start all over again. The playabilty is not bad, but it's not great either. So, I'm going hunting for something that fits me better with an eye towards Gretsch. I know and have owned Gretsch and they've never let me down. I'll see about selling or trading the Jazzmaster, but I don't want it in the house anymore, it just frustrates me.

Many thanks to the posters here who helped me get the VMJM to where it is now, it's a very nice guitar, but now I know it's just not for me.

dbrian66, Taurus, Tele-kitty and 2 others like this.
  2. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Meister

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Sometimes a guitar is a perfect fit
    and sometimes not.
    And when it's not,
    it's best to move on.
    Good luck with the incoming Gretsch!

VealCutlet, dbrian66, Taurus and 5 others like this.
  3. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Couldn't say it better

4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    All the above expresses the truth about all things. And all words about things That there is no one "best" for all.

I have for years and years struggled to accept this truth for myself re Stratocasters. So many love them. So much great music has been, and is today being made ,with them, but that they simply are not right for me. Not the sound. Not the feel. In truth nothing at all.

You tried the Jazzy It wasn't you. Next....

Just be glad you didn't have to soak your lives savings and all your guitar dreams into one. Thank Squier for that!

:)

-don

5. Big George

Big George Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Funny you should say that, Don. In my small collection there's one guitar I keep going back to just to pick up and play, and that's a 22 year old MIM Stratocaster. It does just about anything I want it to do and for playability it runs rings around the Jazzmaster. Maybe I should look into a new Player Strat instead of a Gretsch. Hmmmmm......................

dbrian66, Tele-kitty and duceditor like this.
  6. Dan Martian

Dan Martian Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2014
    San Marcos, Texas
    Jazzmasters are notoriously difficult to set up, especially if you have little to no experience with set up and don't know all the quirks of this guitar. I set up a VMJM for a friend of mine and found that it liked .012-.054 even better than the .011 set we'd put on it. At that point, the strings stayed in the bridge slots better, it intonated better and sounded better. I also shimmed the neck, creating the necessary break angle over the saddles. Based on what you say you like to play, I could easily see another Strat in your future, and you may want to check out a tele (except for surf) or maybe a mustang.

dbrian66 and Tele-kitty like this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    First, I have had my VM Jaguar with 9s on it since I bought it in July of 2012. They're not THAT hard to set up. That's aside the point.

Over the last 40 years, there are some guitars I play more than others and really it is that connection -well this feels more cumbersome or I can never get the right tone out of it. But never have I nailed a tone only the next day NOT to have it. That's just weird to me.

dbrian66 and Tele-kitty like this.
  8. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    I had that problem with a ESP ec50. Wanted a Les Paul type for ever and ever. Great guitar, just something about it I couldn’t get along with.

Then I found telecasters...found my happy with them, and now it’s all I own. :D
    Gave the LP to a friend to that wanted to learn to play...=happy for all.

Sometimes it takes find the right guitar for you, not necessarily the one you like. :cool:

CVSteve and Taurus like this.