It takes longer to warm up these days...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I remember when I could pick up my guitar anytime and at least sound competent. It seems like nowadays my hands do not always want to cooperate with my brain.

Anyone else feeling a bit sloppy these days?

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    That's only the start of things to come..The real frustration comes when your brain can no longer do what's needed to send the message to your hands..

3. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I would be happy to be as "with it" as you are when I'm your age!

squierplayer likes this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    I'm 61 now and may be noticing some of that, I'm not really sure. One problem I have is an old injury to my left index finger that makes it hard to bend it for about the first five minutes of practice. Then I slowly warm up and play better, peaking maybe 30 minutes later, and stopping for a break around the 45 minute point.

Today I played to a metronome, and found that I'm not really as bad as I thought I was yesterday when I tried to play faster than my skill level. Playing at a reasonable speed really helps the brain keep up with the fingers.

I'll keep you posted as the decades continue to fly by. :)

squierplayer and Dr Improbable like this.
  5. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Same here. I've got a bit of neuropathy affecting my left pinky. That doesn't help matters. And I know those Barre chords didn't used to be this hard!

Dr Improbable likes this.
  6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Meister

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
    I have Hemochromatosis which s iron overload and it has damaged my liver so I have to give blood once a month and in the last couple of years ever since they started this treatment I have been a bit weak, sloppy, slushy or what ever you want to call it and cold. I hate it. I'm not exactly sure where the cold comes in to play. I just know I cant get warm very easy anymore.

RoyalWe and Taurus like this.
  7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yeah, I've been very fortunate..Good medical attention has been the key thing, along with a lot of good luck..
    So I have no complaints..

Dr Improbable and Taurus like this.
  8. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    That sounds really bad :(

It’s happened to me due to not enough practice. I was never good but was better than I am now in September. Too busy and too much stuff going on left no time to practice :confused:

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I generally hit a scale or 2 ,some hammer ons and slides to warm up before the endless noodling ;0)

Matt Shevell and Taurus like this.
  10. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Funny you posted this because since December, my playing has been a big pile of crap. Not sure why. Just noticed recently that I’m just stuck in neutral. So I tuned down a whole step on my Tele yesterday. Was slightly more pleased. I’ll keep trying. Thinking of just going acoustic for a few weeks.

11. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    My fingers seem to be pretty stupid lately. It doesn't help that this time of the year things in the house feel a bit cold to the touch.

12. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Sometimes my body and brain just do not cooperate. Too many years of hard living. I just keep playing. It doesn't matter if I sound good or bad. Playing guitar feeds my soul.

13. If you're a lousy player like me … no problem with "warming up". :D Cheers, Barrie.

14. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

My problem is the artritis affecting my left little finger. It's taking on a prounced curve, meaning that it won't Always go exactly where it's supposed to on a guitar neck. The result is more sour notes showing up than I'd care to admit,...:rolleyes:

ElRey67, Taurus and Dr Improbable like this.
  15. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

In your case I'd say that any good brand of rye whiskey(and even some of the not-so-good ones) will help that problem: I know my playing always seems to improve,..:D

ElRey67, Taurus and Dr Improbable like this.
  16. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Good ol’ Marty. At first based on the title I thought this thread was about tubes taking longer to warm up haha. I’ve definitely started to really take notice of the importance of warming up in recent months. Funny how the brain and body need to be reminded that they know how to play for a good 5-15 minutes before they’ll actually do what I want.

fattboyzz, Taurus and Dr Improbable like this.
  17. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I have Fibromyalgia and I have a little osteoarthritis in my hands. Now, I always do a warm up before I play. I stretch the whole body.
    Then I work on my hands. I do some stretching to warm up my fingers. After that, I play 2 or 3 very easy tunes and it's usually to the trick for me.

fattboyzz, Afrika61, ElRey67 and 2 others like this.
  18. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Get plenty of sleep, try to destress and warm up those hands. Last night I came home from work, laid down in my bed in the dark and did some breathing exercise while trying to chill from the days stress. Then I ate dinner and went downstairs to play. Actually played better than I have in a long time. Peace of mind is needed to keep my mind off everything but playing. I turn the space heater on and then wait a while sometinmes. Even my guitar feels a little cold to the touch. sometime I run hot water over my hands for about 30 seconds and that helps. I have been using a metronome to try to slow down my playing cause I have a tendency to rush thru a lick to get to the next one.

fattboyzz, Afrika61, ElRey67 and 3 others like this.
  19. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    As not only a guitarist but as a boxer too, can’t imagene how my hands will end up :confused:o_O:confused: