It makes me want to tear my hair (what's left of it!)

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Old Crow, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Old Crow

Old Crow Squier Talker

Mar 7, 2019
    West Midlands UK
    I'm an old blues-playing dinosaur from the sixties - I've heard some really great players from the past who had huge tone and dynamics and could chill you with one note - but I'm not hearing it now.

I go into the big guitar store and guess what? Some guy has got hold of a guitar that's the £ equivalent of $3000. He goes over to the nearest high gain amp, turns the gain up 11 and makes a $5 noise! A horrible racket of nasty distortion coupled with widdling "musical masturbation" that sounds like a toy guitar through a tiny cheap tranny amp - only louder! He grins; he thinks he's got great tone! I feel for the poor guys that work in the store!

Now I've lost count of the bands I've heard clear the bar with a blur of garbled self indulgent ear assault - surely there has to be some acknowledgement of tone, feel, dynamics, clarity - an ability to listen to other musicians in the band; to actually accompany the singers and even - to play chords!

Now I'm going to upset the cart by saying; If you can't play clean - you can't play! Sure, we all like harmonic distortion and letting it rip - sometimes - but if you are going to work with other musicians and singers you are going to be expected to supply something sympathetic and complimentary and not go "yadda! yaddy! yadda!"

Is it maybe that younger folk haven't heard the great players of the past who really did have "tone?" Of course each generation has it's own thing but do they think "metal" is all there is? And if you are going to pay a lot of money for a guitar that has great tone it should be heard, not murdered!

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    And the world keeps turning..Just gotta hang on and hope it comes back around to sanity..

3. dlew919

dlew919 Squier Talker

Apr 22, 2018
    Belmore
    I don’t want to sound like a curmudgeon but I agree. Don’t get me wrong I love ripping it up on my tele with some gain and I love hearing a great solo.

But if you can’t play clean you can’t play well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    I heard the same thing from my Dad and Gramps when they heard me listening to Cream, Led Zepplen, and so on back in the 60's when I was a teen. However, I hear nothing today as good as the afore mentioned groups. I believe we are going thru the dark ages in music today.

dlew919, Caddy, Old Man and 2 others like this.
  5. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I saw a documentary about Metallica when they made their first album. James Hetfield said they didn’t know they were supposed to be playing the same progression and didn’t even know what melody meant. Just four guys making four different noises as loud as possible. They figured it out.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    dlew919 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’ll settle you down a bit by saying that Metal certainly isn’t all there is, but it’s one of the few genres who’s players still care to use a hi gain amp, or any truly bulky amp at all. Most guitar/rock bands I see out are indie bands, using anything from surfy cleans to fuzzed out chaos tones, but people’s rigs have skimmed down. Lots of small tube combo amps and quirky vintage solid states. Some even run without a real amp at all, pedal amp simulators and computer software that gets sent to the board & PA is popular for people who change their sounds a lot and/or need high mobility.
    Anymore if I see someone plugging into a Marshall, Mesa, or a half stack of any kind I get ready to plug my ears from the assault of harshness to follow.

7. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Donal Gallagher called those sorts of stores "cacophany canyon." I agree.

Some pretty great things can be done with lots of gain. It does take timing and musicality, which can tend to be in drastically short supply in the canyons.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    They ain't listening to dad's music.....yet

CVSteve and Old Man like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice