It is almost like people don't even want to sell guitars sometimes...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by mduganjr, Nov 7, 2019.

1. mduganjr

mduganjr Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I would say about a third of the guitars I see for sale locally always have terrible pictures and/or descriptions. Why not even try to get a clear picture of it?? In this day and age when you literally have a nice camera in your pocket would you not try to make it appealing. I mean after all you are trying to sell something... make me want to buy it!

This isn't exclusive to guitars though, it seems to be the same way with old 4Runners too.

Case in point: (This guitar is too far away for me but looks interesting). She posted the same picture (the second one three times)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    "honey I tried to sell it but no one is interested."

3. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I post bad pictures AND price them too high.

But yeah, that peeves me too. Some shots are so dark that can't tell the color.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    That, and they may take days to respond when you ask about whatever they’re selling. I was in Minneapolis for a long weekend and responded to an ad for an Epi Les Paul. The seller replied a week after I got home from the trip.

5. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Here's one From local CL.

Dean Dave Mustaine Sig. Zero - $349 (Boulder)
    image 1 of 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  6. mduganjr

mduganjr Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Yes, it seems like this is the case on Facebook mostly. If this person replied to me tonight, I might be able to have someone pick up the guitar from her this weekend... but odds are they will never reply.

7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    There are loads of people who have older smart phones and only a couple of lamps in their house for lighting. I don't see anything wrong with the photos posted. They're good enough for me to determine if I am or am not interested. I've gone on bought guitars that had worse pics than those.

And if it's craigslist, that photo uploader can really be trash sometimes. If they only had one photo posted several times I might be concerned, but they probably just had some hiccups getting the 2nd one to show that it was there.

Not everyone cares to spend the time to go back and fix things. Not everyone is motivated to move their gear so they can get the next thing.

TL;DR, I don't see a significant problem here.

8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    You only know what you know. And the truth is some people are as illiterate visually as they are with reading and words. And some people are downright slovenly and uncaring in pretty much every aspect of life.

I hate the snobbishness that often is behind such, but I am sure most of us have seen posts of how some Walmart shoppers dress. "How could they not know?" Even more "how can they not care?"

Some people don't.

It seems to me to be that simple.

-don

9. Lousy pics or worse … no pics at all in their ads.o_O Some people even use stock pics from the manufacturer.:mad:
    Cheers, Barrie.

vlxerdon, Viking, mduganjr and 3 others like this.
  10. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I go thru a lot of guitars and I feel like some guitars are just for business, and there are some that kinda grab hold of you and you don't ever want to let go....Kinda like the wooden lady.

11. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    It's up to the ad poster how he/she wants to present the item for sale but I think a little care in how things are pictured and described makes a big difference. It does to me when I'm buying and I've had positive comments about my ads from buyers.

"Mint condition just a little dusty." Take a rag and dust it off and you wouldn't need to take the time to even type that. Sheesh.

But, to the OPs point.
    It is almost like people don't even want to sell guitars sometimes...

12. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Right, it is the game. Got to be in the game....

13. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    On the other hand, I've replied to lousy ads figuring that since the seller didn't take a lot of care in posting the ad I might get a good deal, and I usually did.

14. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Meister

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Exactly. The camera on my phone is crap. But then again it is my PHONE when I bought it the camera was not the deciding factor in the purchase. Also my house has very poor lighting for photography. It's fine for everything else but pics just turn out dark. I have learned a few tricks to overcome these obstacles when photographing something I want to sale, like opening a window for sunlight and setting my phone for highest quality resolution yet sometimes the result is still less than perfect. I do try to list as much detail in ads as possible so there is no question about what it is but those close up fretboard pics showing fret wear or lack thereof, well that's just not happening. You'll just have to come see/play it yourself for that. After all I am a Vet tech by trade, a hobbyist musician and reluctant photographer and salesman.

15. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Ya lost me there MrYeats. :)

16. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    I find it more aggravating when the seller is an excellent photographer. Once drove an hour to buy a gorgeous car that was advertised on craigslist. When I got there I threw up in my mouth a little. It was the same car pictured but was so geeeeerose that I didn't even want to touch it. If only the guy was half as good about maintaining vehicles as he was at photography.

17. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    See...
    There was a Mexican Cabronita Thinline in White Blonde posted locally for $500, dude replied several hours after my first text and told me to call him the next day. He never responded again despite 2 calls and a text. Ad remained up for several more weeks until it expired.

Viking, mduganjr and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I meant the people out there that advertise but just don't want to sell their guitar, just be in the game of talking to people about it but not ever be reasonable on the price.

19. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    I bet you've got some splinters!;)

20. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    We have a lot in common. When we first met, she said, "Show me your wood and I will show you mine."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice