Is this squire in any way unusual?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by djm67, Oct 10, 2010.

1. djm67

djm67 Squier Talker

Hi Guys

A week past Saturday I picked up this guitar from my local Cash Generators store for £60 used. I have searched the forums and google for any info but can't get the whole picture.

Description :

Small headstock, Squire Strat by Fender black logo.
    No stripe on neck, 22 frets.
    Squire written on tuners.
    Squire by Fender on Pickup covers.
    CA serial number on rear on headstock.

The only thing I'm pretty certain about is that it was made in China. It would be nice to know the year of manufacture of any information about the pickups.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Attached Files:

mb doug, TEXINGA, kenneth and 4 others like this.
  2. JimR

JimR Squier Talker

Aug 5, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    It's interesting looking. The head looks like an SE with the same tuners the SE has. SE's also have the serial number on the sticker under the headstock like that one. But I've never seen a 22 fret SE neck. Never seen PUP covers like that either.

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  3. hornet258

hornet258 Squier-Meister

Jan 26, 2010
    Kansas City
    The maple on the back of the neck is gorgeous!

mb doug, TEXINGA and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  4. Suek

Suek Squier-Nut

Apr 12, 2010
    New England
    It IS really nice. I believe I've never seen pick ups covers like that, Pretty cool.

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. djm67

djm67 Squier Talker

Thanks for your replies and comments.

From what I can gather the embossed pickups are a UK thing.

Does anyone else have a Squire with these pickup covers, especially if you acquired it outside of the UK?

6. Jocko

Jocko Squier Talker

May 10, 2010
    Kirkcaldy Scotland
    Guitar would appear to be made in China in June 2003 (CA-03-06-****) I have never seen one with the pickup logos. If you bought it in Smack Generator in Kirkcaldy then damm - I missed it.............

7. djm67

djm67 Squier Talker

Thanks for the info on the serial number, seems obvious now that you point it out.

I bought it in Dunfermline. I had to redo the setup as the action was way too low causing fret buzz but now it plays and sounds pretty good. I'm really pleased with it. :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  8. motoman45

motoman45 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2009
    portland, Or
    love the flamed neck, what size nut?

9. djm67

djm67 Squier Talker

Thanks, I must admit I do like the neck too. The look and the feel.

The nut is 1-5/8 inches (about 42mm).

10. edandis

edandis Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2010
    Orlando, Fl.
    That is a great looking guitar you purchased, enjoy her.

11. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2010
    pittsburgh
    Yes, a bit odd. But very nice, some things about it I have never seen before.

mb doug, SquierTap and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  12. Muddslide

Muddslide Squier-Meister

Sep 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well, I was thinking I had something like the same model until I viewed the pics and read more of the description.

I bought a very similar Squier last month for $35.

Mine, however, has the serial # on the neckplate...it begins with 'NC' and from what I gather it was MIC in 1996.

Also, mine has a single-ply white pickguard and it has "by Fender" out on the rounded part of the headstock. It has no writing on the pup covers either.

It does have 22 frets and no skunk stripe though. Great neck.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. I am planning some mods/upgrades, but it's the first Strat I have truly enjoyed owning.

Congrats!

mb doug likes this.
  13. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Great guitar.

As others have said, it seems to be an SE with a few differences. I think the tuners with 'Squier' written on them are a feature of the SE (I'm pretty sure the one I owned had them).

I would actually say that the neck may be custom built, because the SE has a skunk stripe, and that kind of flame is rather rare? Also, the SE neck had a satin finish. Is the neck glossed?

The pickup covers may well be a custom job also, because I have NEVER seen that before.

In all it really looks like a wonderful guitar, and I hope she feels and plays just as well :)

mb doug, SquierTap and Mr Bones like this.
  14. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2010
    i have seen a few with those pickup cover lables,

nice guitar

mb doug and SquierTap like this.
  15. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Apr 19, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    It is an SE from a Strat-pack. The particular variant you have was as far as I've been able to gather only sold in the UK. The things that make it distinctive is the 22 fret neck, because most other SEs have 21 fret vintage style necks and the "Squier by Fender" on the pickup covers, because most SE pickup covers are plain white.

As for the stripe on the neck... some SEs have them, some don't. Most SEs have Squire on the tuners, although I've seen a few that were plain. The CA serial prefix is fairly common for SEs. Another common prefix is CAE. The CAEs I've seen have conformed to the US norm with 21 fret neck and plain pickup covers.

16. Muddslide

Muddslide Squier-Meister

Sep 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Here's a question--how long have the Strat Paks been around? The SE models that go into them?

I believe my Strat was made in 1996, but from what I read here, it seems like it might be from a Strat pack...

17. D34dBaWx

D34dBaWx Squier-holic

Dec 23, 2009
    Ark
    This is correct! I have seen them like this before and they were from Europe.

18. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Apr 19, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    the Special Edition SE Strat Pack at least dates back to 2000, because that is when mine is from. What is the serial # prefix of your Squier? If you can post that plus some pics showing the important identification details like the headstock (preferably front and back to aid in tuner identification), the fingerboard, body, trem, etc...

There are a number of threads on this forum related to SEs, many of which include information on how to identify one.

19. Muddslide

Muddslide Squier-Meister

Sep 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Serial # is NC677544. From my researches it looks to have been MIC in 1996, but the 'NC' designation don't seem to have hard and fast dates of manufacture.

I have snapped a few (pretty abysmal) pics but I need to get them uploaded to PhotoBucket or something so I can post them here.

I can tell you it's a small headstock. A former owner removed all of the writing from it except a tiny 'Fender' logo on the rounded part of the headstock.

Due to "tan lines" you can see where the headstock used to read "Squier STRAT" with "Made in China" underneath it in small letters and the rounded part of the headstock once said "by Fender" but even the "by" has been removed.

Very cheap tuners (nothing written on them)...22 fret neck, no skunk stripe...full size/thickness body...

It's really a fine guitar (with a great neck) though the finish is in pretty poor shape.

I will try to get the rest of the pics posted.

One thing that is kind of odd is that I believe the neck plate is installed upside down. Perhaps the neck isn't original to the body. At any rate, it appears as though the neck plate (which contains the serial #) has been removed at one time and put back upside down.

20. Sjablul

Sjablul Squier Talker

May 1, 2017
    Netherlands
    ALthough this thread might be dead by now, I stumbled across it by accident. I bought a Squier exactly as you described:
    No stripe on neck, 22 frets.
    Squire written on tuners.
    Squire by Fender on Pickup covers.
    CA serial number on rear on headstock.
    The squier text on the pickups.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice