Is this a thing? MultiFx -> Hifi PA -> 1x12 cab

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by drneilmb, Aug 25, 2019.

1. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier Talker

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I'm building a tube amp head and a 1x12 cabinet to go with it. The speaker cabinet is going to get done first (by a long time) and I'd like to be able to test it out and use it. I have a Zoom G1FOUR multi-effects unit that has treble/mid/bass EQ and a master volume. I also have a little 15W Class D amplifier module with its own volume control that I use for powering some speakers on my computer desk.

Can I run the Zoom into the little Hifi power amp, then into the cabinet? It seems like it is completely physically possible and as long as I don't use the cabinet simulations on the Zoom, it seems similar to what a normal preamp, power amp, speaker cabinet signal chain would be.

Is that reasonable for temporary use at least? Modeling and effects into a full-range, high-efficiency power amp, but then using a guitar speaker and cabinet instead of a full-range speaker? It seems like modeling amps like the Fender Mustang or Boss Katana must be essentially the same thing, a DSP audio chain fed into an off-the-shelf low-distortion audio power amplifier.

Has anyone else tried something like that before?

-Neil

Rey08 likes this.
  2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I've no idea how it is going to sound, but from an electronics perspective it should work. The only thing I would caution is to be certain the amp can handle the low impedance speakers. Guitar cabinets often run at 4 ohms, and 8 ohms is more typical for general loudspeakers. Headphones can run much higher than 8, so an amp designed for them would not like a 4 ohm load.

drneilmb likes this.
  3. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier Talker

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    It works and it sounds fine. It's got plenty of volume (more than my small office can take) and the tones are fun at least. I'll have to test it head-to-head with the Roland JC-55 to get a better feeling for how the class D amp and 12-inch speaker color the sound.

0828190853.jpg

Rey08, Triple Jim and drewcp like this.
  4. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    If you are using outboard effects, then (in my opinion) using a hifi as an “amp head” is just as good.. in some cases maybe better... then using a guitar amp head. The biggest effect on the overall sound will actually be your speaker cabinet.

Rey08 likes this.
  5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I went the FRFR route for my mfx.

Boss GT-100> Headrush FRFR 108.

I would say the Headrush FRFR route is almost affordable compared to building a PA system.

Also, whatever patch I create is what perfectly comes out from the FRFR. It's like painting on a clean blank canvas.

6. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    <posted to wrong thread>

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    drneilmb, Rey08, rbh32 and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice