Is this a CV70s or a VM?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Lonn, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Looks like a CV 70s to me but the color is kind of throwing me off. It’s kind of a milky beige color. Got it for $129 out the door.

6A10D7DC-912B-48E7-A9F3-1007EB1E6C0C.jpeg 11BC0452-6619-4D68-AD1F-1D20FFDD61F0.jpeg 872D8F60-BBE9-4B88-A3E8-141EEEE53A23.jpeg 0D75AE51-EA50-4C94-9D57-F732F2C81A8F.jpeg

duggerh, corn, mdparent03 and 3 others like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    There is no CV70s....this one is $300 new....

There's Vintage Modified, and Vintage Modified 70s....this is a VM....non 70s model....tribute to late 60s Strats I think.....same specs just different body paint color and pickguard/pickup covers / plastics color....

Easy way to tell them apart = VM regular model has 1 string tree, the VM70s has 2....

Previous owner changed the Kluson split shaft tuners to 70s Fender 'F' tuners.....on the one you posted photos of....and possibly pickups too since they don't say DUNCAN DESIGNED on the covers like they should - they're the same SC101's when stock

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-vintage-modified-stratocaster-vintage-blonde

RoyalWe and squierbilly like this.
  3. Lonn

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Thanks. The saddles say Fender as well so I guess I’ll see what’s under the hood when I get home.

RoyalWe likes this.
  4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I thought CV had the stamped saddles, but regardless, that's a great price/deal.

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    They do on all the VM's....it's stock bridge/saddles - nice score as usual!

The CV's don't have Fender stamped saddles, they are blank / no markings....

[​IMG]

duggerh and so1om like this.
  6. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    @Lonn
    You totally scored! Fantastic necks. Excellent tuner upgrade. Looking forward to see if any of the guts were upgraded.

Fender SN Search.jpg Squier VM Stratocaster Vintage Blonde.jpg

RoyalWe and squierbilly like this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I always took the stamped F as just fancy trap tuners. Take them apart, that's all they are -though perhaps in the earlier days 50 years ago they had better machining tolerances? But i would go a with a nice sealed unit any day. but you can't discount the style points.

Pat V. likes this.
  8. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    The internal workings inside of most tuners whether sealed or not are pretty similar. The important differences are in the materials, machining tolerances and manufacturing.
    Trap style tuners are notoriously lousy because they were cheaply mass produced. The Kluson F-Styles used in the seventies were quite good. I'm probably in the minority but I will choose a well made set of Split shaft classic style Klusons over just about anything else. They are easy to string, work well and light weight. (They can save over 3 ounces compared to a set of sealed diecast tuners).

so1om likes this.
  9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I agree 100% including on the Klusons. I like the styling of the F, but on an old Coronado i was like.. Really?

Pat V. likes this.
  10. Lonn

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    It had all stock electronics, someone must have just changed the pick up covers. I removed the S101’s and installed this knockoff Seymour Duncan Everything Axe set I bought off eBay the other day. They sound great! Now if the UPS guy would just deliver my 83 Smith era Strat my day would be perfect

9E4AFB49-A901-4881-84B2-82CB5C658F7E.jpeg EDA574B3-D5DA-461D-A2A4-D08869C3E2A4.jpeg

11. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America

That looks great! Those pickups have me intrigued.

duggerh likes this.
  12. Lonn

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Little bit of luck today, the 83 Strat that came via UPS today had an extra trem are that just happens to fit this Squier.

duggerh and Pat V. like this.