Is this 1976 Fender Stratocaster worth the price?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by stratman420, Apr 13, 2019.

1. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    On my local facebook marketplace, they are asking $3165 for this guitar. Now, I know the price of guitars here in Chile is expensive, but idk, this seems like too much, especially considering the mods, such as the "upgraded" Khaler bridge. It also has Gotoh tuners. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe this is a good price? It comes with the original case as well. 56800652_730572790673781_6903637479908179968_n.jpg 56938185_730570354007358_1525398853975539712_n.jpg 56518242_730570367340690_1890176198860865536_n.jpg 56584200_730570387340688_3760289896812511232_n.jpg

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I can tell you that if someone offered me $3165 for my '76 it would take me about 1/4 of a second to say "sold".

3. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    That bridge kills the value..
    not to mention it has a goofy serial no. (Maybe its a transition)..

4. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    I had a 1977. It was nothing special IMO. I MIGHT go 1500, but that's pushing it. The bridge kills the deal.

The late 70's Fenders were not Fender's best years. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    Frankly, in my eyes (I own a 79 Strat), I don’t think it’s worth $316.50. The body ought to be real clean for the price you mentioned, and it’s anything but. In fact, it is a mess. Then there’s the combo of the mocha with the rosewood neck. I love the mocha, but it looks far better with a maple fretboard. I didn’t even think it was offered with the rosewood, and since someone already mentioned something funky about the serial number, I’m suspicious. Either way, though, the mocha looks ordinary with no contrast from the rosewood.

Then, there is the trem. Looks awful. Any vintage mojo this once had was sucked out with that monstrosity.

Sorry, but no, not worth it at all.

6. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I was thinking, that if anything, the bridge would lower the value. I also heard that late 70's weren't the best at all either. Early 70's are what to look for is what I've heard. (or late 60's if you like the oversized headstock and logo).

I didn't notice anything odd about the s/n until it was pointed out. It is strange that the 76 at the beginning is in a different font than the rest of the numbers, but I have no real life experience with a real 1970s strat, so I didn't know.

As far as the color of the guitar, and the rosewood fretboard, I actually like it, but like you all seem to agree with me on, that bridge is completely hideous.

Speaking of which, please correct me if I'm wrong/inform me, but I was unaware that they made hardtail strats in the late 70s. This is clearly a hardtail, as you can tell by the lack of back cavity for the springs... Could this entire guitar be some sort of fake partscaster?

Taurus likes this.
  7. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Now this is a personal opinion. But I like the Stratocaster Logo smaller. Like I said, it's just a personal thing with me.

Kenneth Mountain and stratman420 like this.
  8. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Unless this specific guitar speaks to you and makes you play like a supernatural being...

...you can guy a MUCH better guitar for that price.

9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

You're right that it's a goofy serial number, and it's hard to actually find a reference to that type, but it's the same kind of number mine has and I'm sure mine's real.

What seems strange to me is the thin finish. I didn't know they did those in '76. Mine has the really thick finish that's like gelcoat on a fiberglass boat.

10. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Not with that bridge leave it for another sucker! neck looks cool though

11. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Yeah I'm definitely going to pass, not like it would even make sense to fathom shelling out that kind of cash for... this thing.

I have questions about the body. As @Triple Jim mentioned about the thin finish, I also noticed that it's a hardtail body. I was unaware of Fender making hardtail strats in the 70's so can someone let me know if they did, because I'm starting to believe this is some sort of partscaster, with perhaps only the neck and neck plate being real....? hmm....

Taurus and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Toddcaster64

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    CEDDE6A0-376D-4B60-B915-870D3791D360.jpeg They definitely made hardtails in the late 70s, as that is what mine is. The thing about the late 70s strats, they weren’t all bad, in fact there were some gems - the problem was the quality control, or lack thereof, and lots of instruments poured out of the plant in a non-playable and substandard state. Some were probably lost causes. However, in most cases it was nothing that a good setup and some minor tweaking couldn’t fix. You have to figure that for those you find today, those defects were long since cured as part of the ordinary maintenance involved in keeping a guitar playable for forty years. So I think some of the horror stories are at this point in time a bit overstated. Mine is decent. It’s not insanely great, mind you, but neither does it suck. It’s also clean as hell so if that guy gets $3,100, well hell, I’m sitting on a goldmine! (I’m not)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Big tuna, Taurus, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  13. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    My '76 hardtail had a polyurethane finish so thick it looked (and felt) like it had been dipped in plastic. That was the worst guitar I've ever owned. It had major flaws in design and manufacturing. Bad in every possible way.

14. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    I know a little about these, I have a '75 strat. It looks totally wrong to me. Have the guy send you a pic of the back of the neck with the serial#, he should probably already have this pic if this is the real deal, should be stamped in green or red ink. It's a partscaster at best IMO. BTW original parts are what makes these guitars valuable , once you start replacing parts with anything other than original you significantly decrease the value. A pic of the original hardcase may help to date also.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Right, my '76 is a hardtail and it's a very nice Strat. I'd hate to part with it, but offer me $3165 and I will.

16. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    In the US.

$1200-$1400 guitar in much better original condition and with a matching condition case.

$550-$650 with “upgrades”.

I can see adding a few dollars for it outside the US, but that price is just silly.

17. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    In the third pic I posted, it shows the back of the neck, and it's absolutely blank, however on the headstock picture, is the serial number, right beneath the Fender logo. It is 7673319.

Good to know they made hardtails in the 70's as that leads me to believe that perhaps this could be the original body.

Another thing worth mentioning, is where I live (Chile) because of import taxes and what not, all new instruments are at least double the cost as they are in the states and in the UK. Used is the same. For example, I paid close to 300 for a used Squier Standard Series strat recently, that's just the selling rate. Affinities go for close to 300 used all day and the used market is flooded, but they still sell like hot cakes. With that said, it's likely that if sold in the states, this guitar would probably sell for $1582.50 if you divide the price.

With that said, all of you who have 70's Fenders in conditions better than said guitar, very well can sell your guitar for 3000+ USD in Chile. People are just so used to paying more for instruments because they've never known any thing different.

For example, I posted a thread about the official Fender store in Santiago, and the Eric Clapton strat is 2000+ USD while I think in the states it's around 1200 or so.

Still, even at $1582, I don't think this guitar is worth even that price, mainly because of the bridge. Not only do I find it hideous, but I like my strats to have a tremelo system even though I don't use it, I like the option.

Hypothetically, if I had the money and desire to buy this guitar, the only way to fix the damage of the khaler bridge is to spend a lot of money to having an Evertune bridge installed, which while might be amazing and never go out of tune, it's even larger than the khaler, so it would look even more hideous.

I still love the mocha finish though, and the natural wear...

I just love 70's strats, and squiers with 70's headstocks and graphics.

BTW @Toddcaster64 That is a beautiful guitar, and that means a lot coming from me, as I'm usually not a big fan of natural finishes, but man is that guitar beautiful!

18. Toddcaster64

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    Thank you! Like I said, it’s hardly the best strat, but it’s ok. It’s biggest problem is that it’s heavy as hell, but that was somewhat common back then. If you know someone down there who wants it for $3,000, I can ship it immediately!

Big tuna and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  19. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    They for sure made hardtails in the 70’s... And I think I might be the only person who actually likes “mocha brown”.

20. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Sorry, what I meant by the back of the neck is the heel or part of the neck that fits into the pocket on the body. That will tell you what year the neck was made at least.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice