Is it possible to change teams?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've been a Dallas Cowboys fan since 1978 ... I was 8 years old. I was enamored by the stars (Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Randy White, Ed Too Tall Jones) as well as the cheerleaders.

I've been through the lows and the highs, and the lows ... the end of Landry's career, the dynasty of the early/mid 90's, and the futility of the last 23 years.

I was excited at the early 3-0 start of the season, hoping again hope that something has changed and the stars have aligned.

But going 0-2 over the past two games, and now watching them get crushed by the 0-4 Jets is about as much as any long time fan can take. 20+ years of watching Jerry Jones' ineptitude destroy this once storied franchise.

I know it's difficult and almost impossible to just pick another team to root for, I've gotten to the point where I'm numb about the Cowboys. But I do have an absolute hate for Jerry Jones and what he's done to this team ...

I'm thinking I'll be out enjoying the nice weather for the rest of the NFL season. Maybe time to let it go.

Is it possible to pick another team to root for? Geographically, I live in the Giants and Jets area. But I never considered them NY teams as they play in NJ. I went to school in Buffalo, and always had a sentimental side for the city ... I've always had a soft spot for the Bills. But not sure I can root for them week in and week out.

Maybe I should spend football time playing guitar instead. :)

Mr Bones, MrYeats, mb doug and 9 others like this.
  2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I gave up on the NFL about a decade ago. There were lots of reasons, but for me it was the move of my beloved Cleveland Browns to Baltimore. There are several activities that have occurred since I quit actively rooting for an NFL team that do not make me want to come, not the least of these are the political stances taken by the team. I watch football for entertainment, not political B.S. I am an avid college football fan, and never miss a Saturday game. Whenever I cannot avoid an NFL game (not often, but it does happen sometimes) I root for whatever team has the most former Ohio State Buckeyes on it.

So yes, it is possible to leave. I don't think it is easy to pick another allegiance.

3. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    When the Jets signed Vick years ago I stopped watching games .
    I’m at the point now where I would rather do something than sit around watching other people do something :D

4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Before I was married, I used to watch a lot of college football and college basketball. But these days, time is limited ... so I'm allowed 1 NFL game a week. I'm thinking I'd rather do something else at this point.

5. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It could be worse Eddie. Time to root for a NY team

mb doug, VealCutlet and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yep, Cowboys just lost to the 0-4 Jets.

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    My Chiefs got beat today too. Andy Reid needs to get the penalties under control.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I have to have an emotional connection to a team to follow it. I started watching football about the same time as @Eddie and picked the Cowboys (the only other team I had heard of the Steelers and I had no idea what a Steeler was). After a while, I decided to switch allegiances to the Dolphins - after all, I lived in Florida. But no NFL team connected with me like the Florida Gators did.

I moved to Minneapolis, ditched cable TV, and never saw the Dolphins on broadcast TV. Out of sight, out of mind. I didn't follow the local team (Minnesota Vikings) because the media oversaturation annoyed me. Later, when I moved to the Washington area, the media oversaturation of the local team also annoyed me. So I didn't follow them either.

Shortly after I moved here, Major League Soccer began and DC United quickly became the class of the league ("glory days, they pass you by"). Tickets were cheap, the games were exciting, it was the hometown team. So that's my professional football team since 1996.

My son developed a fondness for the Baltimore Ravens. I watch games with him and we even attended a game (last time I'll pay to see and NFL match). But I can't say that I'm a Ravens fan.

So yes, you can switch allegiances or drop them altogether. But (for me) a team is more than the owner, coach, or a group a players. It's a culture. I think you lack this if you follow them from afar and don't watch the games with fans in your area. After all, sports teams are tribes.

Have you considered following NYCFC? The are very similar to the Cowboys: (1) they have rich owners who spend recklessly on players, (2) they play in a storied arena (even if it's not theirs), and (3) they haven't won anything :D

mb doug, Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Growing up, I was a die hard Cleveland Browns fan....loved them, remember Red Right 88 and The Fumble and The Drive. Then along came the belicheck regime and the release of Bernie Kosar. That was it for me, I switched allegiance to Kansas City. Now, the NFL is something I could care less about with all the anthem stupidity and stupidity like deflategate and the like. I'll watch the original football and be far more emotionally attached (I cried when Liverpool won their 6th European title this past June. I never shed a tear for anything NFL) and more entertained. Watching an NFL game is like watching old people have sex...its slow and sloppy and totally uninteresting.

mb doug, Shaytan, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  10. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Support the Bears.

Because reasons.

11. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'm a Saints fan but hate the NFL.

12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Long time Green bay fan. But still a fan of the game more than the team. Football and the news makes up 90% of my tv watching.

13. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I’ve been a Cowboys fan all my life, even though I live an hour from Houston. Never got into the Oilers or Texans. But I lost interest in football when it stopped being that my fat guys could push your fat guys out of the way and my beer gut quarterback would hand the ball off to a toothless tobacco chewing running back who would make four or five yards (and I was a quarterback in high school). I’ve started watching rugby when it’s on.

14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I am a die hard Redskins fan, but this season has finally brought me to my limit. I have watched one game this year. Unfortunately, we have a young owner that is a complete idiot. I may die before him so I may never see the Redskins be the proud team they once were. Football is the only sport I have ever followed and I have seen very little this year. My interest is just not there. Kind of sad really. :(

mb doug and Eddie like this.
  15. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    I absolutely despise professional sports for many legitimate reasons I will not go into here.

Enjoying the weather sounds like a great idea. Reading and playing music sounds a lot more profitable. To be honest doing just about anything else will be more rewarding, I promise you.

mb doug, Afrika61 and Eddie like this.
  16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    It's amazing how Snyder has done so little with so much for so long.

17. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Yes. I am in Ontario Canada and grew up a Bills fan due to proximity more than anything else (it tended to be what was on TV). After the '94 Super Bowl something just snapped in me. I was done. I've been rooting for the Seahawks ever since.

mb doug, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  18. NewsCam 603

NewsCam 603 Squier-Meister

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Ok, being a New Hampshire kid I'll say it. As long as there's a Tom Brady and a Bill Belichick, there's the New England Patriots and a bunch of other teams, lol.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  19. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Can't relate, never been into sports that way. Went to HS games as a teen (was dating a boring cheerleader), went to out local HS games as parents (both out kids over the years were in marching band...yeah, self-confessed band nerds), but have never felt an inclination to "pick a team", let alone watch games....in all honesty, I wish we got Canadian broadcasting down here.....curling is the SHAT!!! Seriously!!!

mb doug, SoundDesign and Eddie like this.
  20. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    I was born and raised in Philly. I was a Dallas fan as a kid, I quickly changed to Eagles under pressure. We will stink this year. Hopefully not as bad as the Phillies were.

I've told my son about the old days with Tony Dorcett. Those were the great games.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice