IronSchef's Guitar Finishing Camp opens!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Jul 23, 2017.

1. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hey schef. I tried that ritz dye also on my tele body and used the premixed one in the bottle from wallworld. I did three coats of the red just straight outta the bottle and it wasn't nearly as good as the way that yours turned out. Which one are you using? The regular powder , or the one in the bottle? Or are you using the ultra liquid in the bottle?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Hey @nitro - I used the RIT dye just for the prestaining (which got mostly sanded off) on the mustang body, and just a bit of it mixed into the first few coats of the pink. It was the liquid.

theflow and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    And I diluted it w warm water - but not the 3-1 mix they suggested - mine was more like 1 part water to 1 part dye

theflow and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Huh. Straight outta the bottle should be stronger I thought. Maybe that's what I did wrong.

Your are looking good so far man. All the vids I've watched on using dye like that show them doing the lighter color first then the darker.

5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    It's all about the "sauce" ! ! ! ! lol

theflow and IronSchef like this.
  6. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    first coat after the mulligan (sand back to start again) -- I think I got the black/red blended the way I want it this time - one more coat of deep red over the whole thing tomorrow -- then onto the 2nd/3rd base coats...

2017-08-10 20.59.30.jpg

so1om, DaveDrums, theflow and 4 others like this.
  7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    going into the final phase of the Mustang body -- all base coats have been applied, as well as the graphic - top coat going on next (I'll breathe a TON easier after the first coat when, hopefully, I find out it won't ruin the decal when I apply it)

2017-08-12 11.49.30.jpg

so1om, mdparent03, DaveDrums and 4 others like this.
  8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

your really doing that tonebomb justice - be sure and send him some finished photos - increase his sales !

IronSchef likes this.
  9. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    ragged on the first coat of the "XGloss Ageing" topcoat on the Mustang - 48 hours cure time for these coats (!)

2017-08-12 20.25.26.jpg

Wizzer, so1om, BorderRadio and 5 others like this.
  10. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Tele Body - I think I am done w/ base coats on the flame top, as the 3rd base coat is supposed to add a deep red, going to put the 3rd base coat on sides/back only most likely

Destroyer body - re-start on the top is progressing nicely, 2nd base coats started

2017-08-13 19.24.32.jpg

this REALLY seems to be taking a long time - not sure I am going to be undertaking many more unfinished bodies. The cool thing about building from already finished parts is you buy it - you get it - you build it - you play it... bang bang bang ... this way is SO much waiting!

11. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Meister

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Well, it was worth a shot -sometimes if you haven't gone too deep into the surface with a dye or a stain you can lift it. But no matter, trying to lift that pigment is a slow gradual process - and as I had mentioned before, the slow ways (bleach, mineral spirits and lacquer thinner applied directly) are good when you're in a situation where you really can't sand too much material away, like an older arch top.

You're not afraid to go for the effect you want even if you have to start over. Sometimes that is exactly what you have to do. Since you're doing new work and custom finishes of your own concept, you're going directly for the effect YOU want to see....and it looks like you're pretty much at the point where that's what you're going to get every time because you know how your materials will behave.

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    midway through week 5 of the camp ... all 3 bodies progressing nicely (SLOWLY!!)

Mustang - 2 coats of topcoat down, gonna do 1 or 2 more ... then 1+ more weeks to cure
    Tele - Finished all the base coats, starting on top coat tonight
    Destroyer - moving to base coat 3 (going to need at least 2 coats of that one before top coats)

2017-08-17 09.50.03.jpg 2017-08-17 09.50.22.jpg

13. Paully

Paully Squier-holic

May 29, 2014
    Maine USA
    Very cool thread.

IronSchef likes this.