IronSchef's Guitar Finishing Camp opens!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Jul 23, 2017.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Finally got some color down on the Mustang Body this afternoon - TY @squierTony for the great tip on using RIT dye!! I went ahead w/o testing :eek: this time!

Here I have a nice coat of Fuchsia RIT dye on the top - this maple has much more subtle flaming than the Tele Body does. Most of this will be sanded back, and the Conch Girl finish will go over the whole thing

2017-08-02 14.40.24.jpg

BorderRadio, theflow, mb doug and 7 others like this.
  2. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Meister

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Hey Schef you got this going - you're building your color up slow and gradual and you're seeing it pop the grain. When you're happy with your color build up, each successive clear coat will make that grain look deeper and deeper.....it's cool to watch this happen, man! Very nice work indeed!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  3. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Wow, Schef.....what happened to that "Cheap" Tele body......All I see is a Tele givin' Gibson LP 58 Reissues a run for the money in the Flame category!!!!!!!

Serious, your stuff is looking Fabulous.......Great Work!!! I think we are all stoked, seeing this................willhowl:);):D

4. wonkenstein

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    If you ever need to go backwards......

There were a couple of old finishes I needed to go 'backwards' with and lift the old color out of the wood altogether. If this ever happens in your shop and you're not in a hurry, you can use a paint stripper (Kleen and Strip or equivalent) to remove all the external clear coat, then you can gradually lift any pigments in the wood grain itself by brushing lacquer thinner on, letting it dry, wiping the crystallized pigment off and sanding very lightly. This is a very slow, gradual and somewhat painful process - in one case it was several months for me getting 20 year old stain out of a laminated maple semi-hollowbody - but it all lifted out and it's ready for a new translucent finish.

I've noticed on a few of the things I've tried (before shooting any clear coats) that the liquid dyes and tints (water based, alcohol based) will actually raise the grain of the wood a little bit. So when you're sanding at this stage you'll get a tad lighter because you're also removing surface grain. If the aim is to go gradually lighter and you've got some dye or stain already in the wood (but no sealer or top coats yet) and you want to sand less, you can try bleach, lacquer thinner or mineral spirits. It's deceptive at this stage (as you have already seen!) because when that initial tint goes on it doesn't seem dark enough, but then it dries in and it's darker - this where I always have to be most careful.

Out of these three (bleach, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner) the bleach will raise the grain the most and evaporate slowest. Lacquer thinner won't raise the grain and will evaporate the fastest. All three will crystallize the layer of water based or alcohol based color closest to the surface of the wood. When it's dry you can wipe the finish crystals off with naptha - that will chemically clean it without raising the grain more than it is already and then you're sanding back a little for surface leveling and tweaking your color just the way you're doing it now - you know it works and damn if it hasn't been a good trick for me when I want just a little less color.

In a case where you've got a burst going and it's still in a "tints and dye colors stage" with no top coat you can work the lighter area with a soft rag and bleach, swirling as you go and get a more dramatic color graduation in the burst.

Again, can't tell you how cool I think this is, the way you're just going for it. But man, you are going to have excellent results the way you're going!

5. wonkenstein

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yeah boy, these are very nice examples for sure! See if you can buy a new guitar that's got a finish this cool- but you probably can't. I've seen your approach used on swamp ash and oak (deep, porous grain patterns) where you'd just quickly wipe on/wipe off a dark or black dye long enough to make the grain pattern darker. SquierTony - these are nice looking axes!

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Sanded back the Fuchsia and applied first coat of "Conch Girl" ... this one has much more subtle figuring, liking how its starting out:

2017-08-03 17.24.53.jpg

theflow, Wizzer, mb doug and 6 others like this.
  7. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    IronSchef, yer killing me with the progress reports:eek:..........Please, keep 'em coming!!!!!:D....................................willhowl;););)

theflow, Ghostlyone, rorygman and 3 others like this.
  8. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    added a bit of the Fuchsia RIT to the second coat of the Conch Girl and did the front -- seems like its bringing more depth to the figure:

2017-08-04 22.44.59.jpg

theflow, Brever, mb doug and 5 others like this.
  9. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Looks freaking great. And it looks like she's smiling

theflow, squierbilly and IronSchef like this.
  10. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Tx!! looking back, I see her smiling AND waving "hi"!!

11. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I'm impressed on how good the Rit dye is working for you. One good thing about it is you can get it at Walmart and it's cheap.

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    So, I am told "2 out of 3 ain't bad" ... and while the Tele and the 'stang bodies are progressing relatively smoothly, I think I am not so happy w/ the Destroyer so far :

2017-08-06 13.20.37.jpg

I realize the mistake I made -- I first did the whole body in the Cherry and then tried to put black down over it ... two issues, 1 that the black wasn't dark enough (even after a couple of apps) and 2 that I can't seem to get a nice blend. I think I may have to punt on this one and sand it back. Ordered another Cherry Flamenco finishing kit so I can do it right this time. I am still going to try and get it black around the edges, but I am going to put that color down first this time

13. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    Just go slow. You'll get it.

theflow and IronSchef like this.
  14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

Props for the "Loaf" reference ! That wood may never meet the picture in your head - it isn't 100% you ! This a lot of first's - very ambitious ! It's all lookin good !

IronSchef, theflow, willhowl and 2 others like this.
  15. wonkenstein

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Hey man, try the soft rag and bleach trick on this one before you take all the color out - you might get the blend to feather out as the bleach moves

IronSchef and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    thanks - I am going to try that today, before getting out the sander :)

theflow and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. wonkenstein

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    And if the bleach doesn't give you enough of a smooth graduation in the blend you can sand the surface back to where you want it anway. The other way you can get a nice gradient in the blend is to use the stain just like you are doing for your lighter color, then you can spray on a darker translucent color for the gradient burst you're after (you'd be surprised at a what a little bit of translucent red could do or even fade in a brown or a black. You already know you have to work by eye for the effect YOU want to get.

18. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    last coat of the fuchsia tinted finish ... next couple of coats will be pure Conch Girl (hopefully leaving just little highlights of the fuchsia)

2017-08-07 11.33.28.jpg

mdparent03, ElRey67, theflow and 5 others like this.
  19. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    yep - tried the bleach thing, it did not soak in enough to have any effect (I think I went too many coats past my initial mistake, thinking I could blend it along the way)... oh well, sand the top back to 120, then 180 - back to the drawing board (for the top at least, will be leaving sides and back at the point they are now):

2017-08-09 11.31.19.jpg

20. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    nothing like a blank canvas ! you'll get it !

Treynor, theflow and IronSchef like this.