IronSchef's Guitar Finishing Camp opens!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Jul 23, 2017.

1. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Oh man Mike , that is gonna look amazing. I can't too see how it turns out. Are you using tints or dyes ?

2. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    So thats not the guy that was too busy to take a couple pics,, but not too busy to put you in your place,, as a pain in his business..

IronSchef likes this.
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Thanks! -- not really sure what a Wudtone "Deep color Coat" - dye? stain? tint? I don't know - its wipe on stuff, doesn't quite soak into the maple quite as much as I would like ... I am just going forward hoping the end result is cool, learning as much as I can in the process -- worst case, I can always grab a finished body of the bay :D

4. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    No! I never gave "that" guy another browse ... this dude had THE body he was selling in the pics, so I could see it was a nice thick 2 piece top (not a veneer).

DaveDrums, ElRey67 and squierbilly like this.
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    put some more color on, hoping to even it up a bit more ... going to do some serious sanding tomorrow, so I am ready for the real color coats next week (going away for the weekend)

2017-07-27 22.45.21.jpg

jjudas, wonkenstein, nobucks and 6 others like this.
  6. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    It's gonna really bring out that flame. I like where you are going with this

7. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Going away? What are we supposed to do?

8. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Sanded back AGAIN, and tonight I added one more color coat that I am going to sand back again, before starting with the first coat that will NOT be sanded back. Each time I went back on w the color, the flames seemed deeper and richer.

2017-07-31 18.18.29.jpg

I think I have learned something already - so I am glad that I decided to do one body first. I think the Wudtone is probably not the best way to do the sand-back coats - I'm running out, I think (I did get a second color kit, just in case) - next body I think I am going to try using a ColorTone Liquid Stain for the sand-back process, then Wudtone when building the final finish

Oh, yeah - I ALSO learned that if you spill, try spilling AWAY from the guitar body (see below the bridge :oops:)

mb doug, jjudas, wonkenstein and 11 others like this.
  9. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I did 2 with RIT dye from Walmart and turned out pretty good.

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    That is a super-cool tip, @squierTony !! I never would have thought of that - and knowing you have done it successfully makes it even sweeter! I have watched many videos, and it seems like they use all kinds of dyes and tints for this process ... makes total sense that RIT would dye wood fibers as well as it dyes fabric :)

I just ordered several of them (Amazon) in various colors for less that what one bottle of ColorTone from StewMac would have cost! this may REALLY me on the Mustang body (got TWO different Pinks on the way)! :cool:

11. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    Here's how mine ended up with the rit dye. 20160309_130314.jpg 20160318_160246.jpg

12. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
  13. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Did one last sand-back, but left more color this than the last 2 sand-backs - then hit the whole top w/ the first coat of Goldenrod:

2017-08-01 13.01.38.jpg

really starting to see some "pop" now ... I am really happy w/ the top half so far, but below the bridge its not showing the figure quite as evenly and cleanly. I think it will still look pretty cool though :)

theflow, Wizzer, mb doug and 14 others like this.
  14. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    That's coming out really nice. As for the inconsistency you mention below the bridge, I think this adds to the flame's character. Too often I've seen flame that looks too uniform, and can look like fake (foto) flame.
    You don't want a boring look. I like what you have!

theflow, wonkenstein, Treynor and 3 others like this.
  15. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    coat one (on the top at least) is now going to dry for a couple of days ... got a chance to get a nice close-up in a ray of the late afternoon sun :cool:

2017-08-01 16.30.49.jpg

Attached Files:

theflow, mb doug, squierbilly and 9 others like this.
  16. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Final task for today completed - finished sanding and applying "Cherry Flamenco" coat #1 on the Destroyer body:

2017-08-01 17.24.42.jpg

Sammy did NOT want me to darken the grain and sand back - he liked the natural Cherry graining ... I have to say after coat 1 I think he was right :D - this inexpensive poplar body is taking on a Mahogany-like tone as soon as the WudTone hit it

theflow, mb doug, squierbilly and 5 others like this.
  17. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Nice close up. I always loved the 3D or holographic characteristic of flamed maple. Your closeup captures that. It will only intensify with the clear finish.

18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Subscribed, all looking good Schef!

19. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    Envy! Great body, great work!

20. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Damn, where's the LOVE button. That looks KILLER Chef!

theflow, Treynor, ElRey67 and 2 others like this.