IronSchef's Guitar Finishing Camp opens!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Jul 23, 2017.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    yep - camp began today ... prepped two of the 3 bodies for finishing:

2017-07-23 18.34.10.jpg

Went through a couple itterations of wiping down w/ water, letting the grain rise, then sanding, finishing up @ P240 grit (Wudtone suggests not going finer than that). Then cleaned them off.

I chose to hand sand w/ a block (and fingers/palms on the rounds) as opposed to using the orbital. I did not really want to go "power" my first time doing this type of thing!!

Goal of the camp is to have 3 bodies finished over the next 2-3 weeks. First time I have ever tried finishing - so of COURSE, I have to complicate things by doing it on 3 bodies ;) Going to be using a LOT of "Cherry Flamenco", as all 3 finishes will call for it

Should be a cool learning experience

2. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  3. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Will definitely be following this thread.. 3 bodies at once is quite ambitious,, have you already tested your finish process or are you throwing caution to the wind... in anycase this should be good!.. will there be a video?..

IronSchef and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    This may be the first time I have said anything like this to a man but, that's some nice wood and I'm sure you'll do a great job of finishing it.:D Learning is fun.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    yes - I have been soaking in as much advice as I can for some time now - very glad I followed THAT suggestion! I didn't go the full 9 yards on either the poplar or the flame maple test planks, but I did get a good idea of what I could do w/ the wudtone hand-rubbed finishes (I'm not in a space where I could even consider spraying). Video is going to add too many variables to a hugely unsure process for me already :)eek:) but will stop to photo-document along the way!

2017-07-14 13.36.07.jpg

Attached Files:

ElRey67, theflow, Kickstand and 2 others like this.
  6. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Gonna be watching this one. I'm already planning my next project.... ;)

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Got body #3 in today ... its MUCH rougher compared to the tone bomb body, but it was much less expensive too - just means a bit more sanding. I am REALLY happy w/ the figuring on this one, and its a nice thick maple top

Going to attempt a wudtone cherry burst type of thing on this one, and no PG. :D

2017-07-25 20.30.34.jpg

So, the Mustang body is going to get a "Conch Girl" (kind of a shell pink, but translucent), w/ the figuring pre-colored darker and sanded back first ... and the Destroyer body is getting a "Cherry Flamenco" fading to "Black Onyx" wudtone finish.

Got some more sanding to do the next couple of nights, then hope to get some color on these things before I leave for the weekend. gonna go slow on these puppies :)

8. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    This is gonna be fun to watch unfold. Looks like they sent you the exact same body that they advertised (referring to your "evaporation of candy" post).

9. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Yes! same body as in those pics. :) (is there such a thing as an "un-rant"?)

10. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Well it's about freakin time dude! MAN that tele body is gonna look sweet bro. You got this schef!

I'm really curious to see how these turn out. Can't wait to see the finished projects.

11. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Haha! It was a great rant iirc. Was this the guy that said he didn't have time to take photos?

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    EDIT: Originally put this in the wrong thread! (sort of ;))

got some color down this evening on the Tele body - "Burning Sun" in the middle, w/ "Cherry Flamenco" ... this is all going to get sanded back and these will be the underneath colors. I hoping to achieve a burst from "Goldenrod" through the Burning Sun to Cherry on the outside and back - with the lighter colors having the darker highlights. I don't have a clue what I'm doing really - but it IS kind of fun anyway. Cheapest body first!

2017-07-26 18.34.41.jpg

13. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
  14. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    The grain on that Tele is AMAZING!

15. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    And he says that's the "cheap one " ? Nicely matched !

DaveDrums, IronSchef and Treynor like this.
  16. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    It sure is a prime burst base.

17. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    I know! yep, this one was only $89!

Treynor likes this.
  18. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Watching this thread too. How about a link to the source of the cheap Tele body?

19. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
  20. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    got a ton of sanding to do still, and I am probably going to hit it a second time and sand back again - but I am liking the flame-pop potential so far! :)

2017-07-27 19.00.59.jpg