interesting use of noise gate

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by guitar guy, Dec 16, 2017.

1. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area

I thought the part where he puts it in front of the dirt box was an interesting tidbit.

2. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Uh oh.....I might need this. Was just talking about finding a really good NG the other day. Damn you :)

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    MF has them for $57 with free shipping...really considering pulling the trigger. After that and an Ibanez DE7 or Digitech Hardwire Delay and I think I'll be ready to assemble my metal pedal board.

4. mustang freak

mustang freak Squier-Meister

Nov 4, 2017
    london
    looks good. in the past the problem i have had is the gate/noise suppressor cutting off the sustained note as you probably know. the best gate/suppressor i have ever used, and i have used loads! is in guitar rig the vst plugin, its just amazing. saying that, this does look really really good, cant beat Electro harmonix!

5. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    I'm going to hold off of getting one until I get the rest of my board together. See if I really need it.

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Can a noise gate help if your palm muting sucks? I'm.... umm... asking for a friend.;)

7. Jaymo

Jaymo Squier-Meister

Mar 11, 2017
    GA
    Will it help a DOD FX69B suck less?

8. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    It will bring down the noise between notes if you have a good noise gate. It could serve to tighten it up a tad...but honestly practice is going to do more than a gate will.

9. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    A friend of mine uses a noise gate to explore different galaxies.

Or is it a star gate?

Nevermind.

11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yeah. I don't understand that at all. I always thought you put it after your noisy pedals. However the Silencer does have its own effects loop so I thought he would have connected the Metal Muff through that but he just runs it straight through. Now I want to try that with my Donner Noise Killer to see if it changes anything if I put it before my dirt pedals.

Oh, but I don't have any dirt pedals, just my Joyo American Sound which I can get it somewhat dirty if I punch up the drive.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Basically how that worked is based on the theory or idea that every guitar, regardless of how quiet it seems to our ears, produces some amount of noise. Drive effects, as well as some modulation designs, amplify said noise until it is grating and annoying. Using the gate in front of the drive, or other offending pedal, negates the noise that the guitar feeds to the pedal. This ultimately results in a quieter sound.

13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    So technology can't compensate for the lack of skill? Then what's all this science for?! :)

Kenneth Mountain and Shine like this.
  14. Jaymo

Jaymo Squier-Meister

Mar 11, 2017
    GA
    I've been thinking about getting a noise gate because, single coil pickups.

Also, I think it would go well with my both my Tele and my GAX-70 ad DOD Grunge.
    That GAX-70 is weird. I can plug it in and it will start making noise without touching it.
    It was worse with the stock pups. I put some Agile pups in it, to allow it to play clean notes.
    They helped but it's still there, to a degree.

And, the Tele. Well, 60 cycle hum. No surprise there.

I have a DOD Boneshaker on the way. Thinking I could use the Silencer with either or both pedals.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  15. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Putting the ate at the end of the chain will make it more likely to cut off notes as well as noise. Having it at the beginning basically gives the other pedals absolute silence when you're not playing.

Kenneth Mountain and Treynor like this.
  16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Great Post GG ! ! thanks

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Huh? I have a used GAX-70 I bought 2-3 years ago used at my local GCenter for about $50. Mine is doubly silent ... silent when you play it or with a very minimal noise ... and silent by nature because I don't like humbuckers but, you know, it was good a deal and I have several Ibanez guitars and basses so it needed a playmate.

18. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    They have their place but if you've never used them, expect that they will affect sustain. In other words, once the signal isn't loud enough, it'll cut off entirely, chopping off the note.

19. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Most noise gates will certainly do this. E-H is plugging that this one does not do that. I've seen youtube vids where this is demonstrated as an accurate claim, but I have yet to verify this for myself and it is important to note that the particular video that I saw this demonstrated, I do not remember them posting the settings they had it at. So, if I get it, we shall see.

20. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Sounds like a grounding issue in the GAX-70. I'd try going through and re-soldering all of the solder joints. As far as the 60 cycle hum is concerned, you may want to look into the E-H Hum debugger. It isn't a gate and focuses pretty specifically on reducing and/or eliminating the 60 cycle stuff.

https://reverb.com/p/electro-harmon...wr38ICUa2qAKpHwCTTgaAvG0EALw_wcB&hfid=7890738