Installing strings

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by mwmeci, Jun 29, 2019.

1. mwmeci

mwmeci Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2015
    Minneapolis
    Is there a BEST way to install strings to stay in tune with a Fender/Squier tremolo bridge?

2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I have yet to successfully float a trem. I always give up the tail chasing and deck it. Curious about this as well!

SquierTap, dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    One at a time. Especially if you aren’t decking the trem. I find the tension changes too much between no strings, then strings again, then strings stretching.

I almost always do half a wind above the string in the tuning machine, then the rest under, so the string locks itself into place. Unless they’re vintage style tuners.

4C34ADDF-C8B0-417D-A659-696D138DF208.jpeg

SquierTap, mb doug, Viking and 3 others like this.
  4. mwmeci

mwmeci Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2015
    Minneapolis
    I get close but only a Floyd Rose type seems to work.
    There's a guy called Scott Henderson that just abuses his and seems to stay in tune.

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  5. JBrooks, dbrian66 and DrBeGood like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    One thing sometimes overlooked is greasing Every metal to metal contact point in the trem system.

SquierTap, ElRey67 and dbrian66 like this.
  7. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    There are allot of different opinions on the subject. I have my own method but usually find the trick is in the nut. You can setup a guitar awesome if the nut is done rite. If it is not done well you will fight the guitar forever

SquierTap, so1om, ElRey67 and 2 others like this.
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I like this guy. He seems to know his stuff!

SquierTap and JBrooks like this.
  9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I use the over/under method to lock them to the post..Then remove as much resistance as I can..After that it's just a matter of balancing the tension between the tuners and the springs..This takes some work but I have been quite successful with it..

SquierTap, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  10. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    When stringing and floating a trem, I use a couple of tricks, and have had success. I start with lubing the tuners by adding a drop of White Lightning Epic Ride bicycle chain semi dry lubricant, to the gears. Then graphite the nut slots with a regular pencil. I suppose you could graphite the saddle tops as well. On stringing, I go with the @drewcp / @Papa Joe over under wind. It's a bullet proof system that even works on stock or cheap tuners. String choice is up to you, I usually use Slinky 10's or Chromacast Max Sustain 10's (very inexpensive on ebay). When tight but not tuned yet, start stretching the strings from nut to butt. With tuning close, stretch again, closer, keep stretching. When you are in tune with the trem starting to lift, place your trem cover under the lifting trem. Do the back and forth, tuners to spring adjusting, until the cover falls away from the trem. You are now in tune with trem floating 1/8" above body.

I swapped a Squier SE (white) to @Kenneth Mountain for a great tele. I set up the SE and floated the trem to perfection. Not wanting to bleep things up, I shipped without loosening everything up. Shipping time was only 2 days. The 1st thing I heard back from KenMo was "how did you get the trem to float like that...….". Magic I guess.

SquierTap, Dave M, ElRey67 and 3 others like this.
  11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

there's this weird thing between our zipcodes - I have sent a whole guitar to Surf for 15 and change ? and pretty close vice versa ?

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I float my tremolos no problem. I've had all the strings off and strung them up or replaced them one at a time, makes no difference. Most often, just one at a time just well.. I suppose it's only when I need to work on the guts or something that I'll take them all off completely.

But as @fadetoz points out, if the nut is not properly dressed, the strings will bind in there all the time, followed by bridge points and all the other possibilities.

If you find the only way you can ever get it to be in tune is by having it decked, where the strings are always being pulled out of their binding points, well it's the binding points that need fixin'.

All mine float about 1/8 or so. Enough for a light touch to enact some effect to nice dives, always stays in tune, tuners don't matter. (Super Slinky 9s.)

Kenneth Mountain and fadetoz like this.
  13. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    This Guy also explains it Well....

Kenneth Mountain and JBrooks like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice