Increasing reach

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by GeorgeA, Mar 14, 2018.

1. GeorgeA

GeorgeA Squier Talker

Jan 16, 2018
    Thunderbolt GA
    I'm having a little trouble with what I think is a pretty far reach power chord riff. Born to be wild, 1st finger on the 7th fret and pinky going from 11th to 12th. I have no idea how I'm gonna get this. I can barely get the 12 and it's really awkward. Any ideas on how to work on it.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. porkpie

porkpie Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    This has worked pretty well for me:

3. kosti

kosti Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2018
    Somewhere in Time
    Perhaps on that specific tune you can compensate by not following the tab as it is written and try to play those same notes on different positions on the fretboard that are more suitable for your fingers. I just tried the same thing you outlined using the low E and A strings and I find it impossible for me, but if I skip down to the D string on the 7th fret, it's the same note as the the A string's 12th fret. It may not sound the same, but it's worth a try.

4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Here are some workarounds, in I think the easiest methods:

Try using a short-scale guitar, or at least a LP scale guitar
    Tune all strings down to a D, and then use a capo on the second fret to move everything higher on the fingerboard or tune all strings to a D sharp and then put the capo on the first fret to move everything one fret higher on the fingerboard.
    Down tune the A sstring to a G (just don't break the string) so you can fret the A string on the 9th fret and make the transition easier. However this may throw off how you make your chords and other functions.
    Try fingerpicking the riff so you can play those last two notes on the G string at the 6th and 7th frets.

kosti and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I know this is "wrong", but if you can play the 7th fret E bar chord with your first and second fingers, instead of first and third, that will give you a bit more reach with your fourth.

6. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    ...and even 'wronger' - play the E open and barre the A and D at the 14th fret doing the little bounce to the 16th & 17th.