Incoming!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Merv_j, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    So I dropped in a cheeky offer on a random guitar from Gumtree.... only 10 minutes from my house. Rubbish photo. Peavey of unknown origin. Two broken strings. But it's a 'burst, and I want one.

Have I been silly???!!!

What are they worth??....
    ....and then I'll tell you what I paid!!!!
    1528457101459.jpg

2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Peavey Raptor I, International Series. Asian made, probably Korea. Ply body, very nice neck. Best playing guitar I own. I've had two, both best playing guitars. I gave one to my son. Price? I've seen them all over the place here, but buying, I'd stick around the $50.00 mark. They're worth more but most just see a low line Peavey. I really like mine & am always on the lookout for another, especially at times I have cash to buy. I prefer the Raptor I to the 'better' models, the Raptor Plus & the Raptor Plus EXP, although they are all great players and inexpensive.

091.JPG

mb doug, corn, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  3. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I'm glad to hear that. I'm looking forward to picking it up now!!!! The guy accepted £15 pounds for it!!!! Let's hope he sticks to it.... 4 hours to pickup time!!!!

4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Sounds great! If shipping from U.K. was not prohibitive, I say if you don't like it, send it to me but it's a bit too far. As I said, It's the hands down best playing guitar I own, iincluding all my NC's.

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and Merv_j like this.
  5. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Then I'm REALLY looking forward to getting it home. I have a YN6 ( NCs are a bit scarce over here) and I absolutely love that....

6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    The necks play awesome...

7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Looking at YN/NC, it is a smaller body, more like a modern Affinity or Bullet. But both of mine play(ed) great when I got them, little tweaking needed. Peavey Raptor pickups sound decent too, although pretty strong. I think the pickups in my white one have been changed as they are real low power (3's) but sound warm and creamy. I've never found much information on them online. Mostly my own experience with two Raptor I's & a Raptor Plus EXP.

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and Merv_j like this.
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    One note, don't bother trying to date. The best you can do is year ranges the model was made, (Peavey changes model names fairly frequently). Apparently from my research, all Peavey S/N are pretty much meaningless numbers. I've not found any code keys anywhere. In model listings, I can't even find some models. Their records are worse than Squier's.
    You also get your nose sniffers that relegate all Raptor's to student line crap guitars. I've never understood why if a guitar plays fantastic, sounds decent but does not cost exorbitant (generally totally unjustified) money, it is student/beginner crap.

9. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Excellent! That's saved me some time as it was the first thing I was going to do after the strings and clean up!!! And hey, if I don't like it I'll let you know

10. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    If you every run across a Peavey Preditor with 4 tremolo screws instead of 6 grab it. Those are USA made ones.

11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    15 quid is how many US ? I think you did well !

12. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    20 of your finest bucks sir!!!!
    I've got her home at last.
    I picked it up and the chap said... "I bought it for my teenage lad, but he couldn't get on with it so it's been left under his bed for years"....
    Hmmmm.....

Eeeew!!!! I was a teenager once. Under my bed was a health hazard lol.

So.... Before....

1528491050312.jpg
    1528491079612.jpg
    No USA made goodness here for me today!!

1528491094493.jpg

But after a very brief wipe over (whilst wearing latex gloves due to the DNA alert lol)...
    1528491215856.jpg
    Shiny Goodness!!! I like it! And there's even a strap... more for Shirefolk than real people, but a strap nonetheless!!!

A quick tune of the four remaining rusty strings revealed a lovely LOVELY neck as was promised, massive fret buzz and intonation that's far out it is akin to continental drift...
    So I'll order a new tuning peg, some cheap strings, this one hasn't earned her Slinkys yet!!!! And a play about with the action. All pickups and controls work perfectly.

For £15 ($20) I'm really quite happy!!!

nobucks, willhowl, jjudas and 6 others like this.
  13. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    SCORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Glad it worked out well. HNGD!

Merv_j, dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    The EXP version, notable by the 6 inline tuners rather than the 3x3, are basswood body 3-5 piece construction. The original raptor plus models with the 3x3 are 5-6 pieces of 1/4"-ish thick wood, varietal unknown, laminated together in a sandwich style construction. Not quite ply, but still very similar construction. The latter versions feature a full size 1.5" body, while the original raptors were a 7/8 sized 1.5" body. Both models are great mod platforms, though with the original Raptors i highly recommend only using rail pickups due to the . The original raptors actually have a bit of an underground cult following here in the States and fetch a tad bit more than the EXP models. I usually see the EXPs going for $45 to $75 and the original Raptors going for $60 to $110, depending on mods, condition, and color. That said, buyers can be hard to find, so don't buy it to flip it or you will likely sit 0n it for a while.

jefffam and Merv_j like this.
  16. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Nice snag! I'd drop a new nut and tuning machines in it, personally.

jefffam and Merv_j like this.
  17. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I'm on it! It needs one new machine anyway, so I'll do them all. Might as well do the nut too, I've never done one so here's my chance!!!

Kenneth Mountain and jefffam like this.
  18. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    If I could make some suggestions, so that you don't end up spending more for tuners or nut, than you paid for the guitar:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=161465844614

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=130833363201

I've used the exact same tuners from this vendor and very similar nuts, but different vendor (I mostly use 43mm, on NC's), with good service and success. Yes, there are better ones carrying a name brand I'm sure, but, these type have served me well over the last few years. Just a suggestion.

BTW: I like your AV. Enjoyed my Triumphs.

80 TR7 contrast adjusted..jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Kenneth Mountain and Merv_j like this.
  19. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Thanks man!!! I'll nip into my local guitar shop and see if he has any oddments laying about for cheap first lol!!!
    Yeah, I love my TR7 too, I've had her a few years now And loved every minute of it. She needs to be back on the road this month. They never really took off over here, I think they were designed more for the US market

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  20. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    They never really 'took off' anywhere I don't think. Triumph tried to maintain the wedge shape too long and did not come out with the convertible until late '79 (U.S, market). By then they had missed the boat. If they had done a convertible in '75 or '76, they might have lasted much longer. The hardtop was not popular, especially from a marque known for convertibles.

I had a '75 Spitfire 1500, too. Now that was a seat of the pants fun car. No power, but she cornered like she was glued to the road.

Kenneth Mountain and Merv_j like this.