In Praise of Guitar Madness Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by DougMen, Jul 17, 2019.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier Talker

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    I sent GM a message thru Ebay and Joe got back to me in under an hour. Pretty good customer service it seems. I may try a set of 62'z. I am sure they are better than the stock ones in my SE.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I'm planning to assemble a nice custom Strat with USACG and Warmoth parts sometime soon. I'm going to use a couple humbuckers that GM says are similar to the old PAFs. He says that both the '59ers and the '57 specials sound like that, so if anyone here has experience with his PAF style pickups, please let me know which ones you think are closest to the real thing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    dbrian66, Flying Z and radiotech like this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Alright folks, you sold me on it.

I'm currently in talks with @rocknrguitars for a loaded guard with some GM pups to go into my red contemporary strat. I'm going to have to wait a little until he gets in some brown tortoise pickguards though.

dbrian66, Flying Z and five teles like this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve got the ‘57’s (Alnico 2), and they nail that classic LP tone, can’t speak for the 59’s.

5. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    I don't know that anything nails the PAF tone, since the tone of PAFs is all over the map. But, given that we've pretty much decided on the tone that we would want from our ideal PAF...

I've got a pair of GM 59s in a Bullet Strat and like them. I'd say there's nothing special about them, but they do a good job of warmth with enough clarity. Dialed back, I don't think they get a spanky, woody tone like some PAFs do. Tone is really the sum of a guitar's parts and characteristics, so it's hard to say what the 59s would sound like in any other guitar.

I'd definitely get another pair of 59s if I had the need.

dbrian66, Flying Z and Triple Jim like this.
  6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Here's my latest GM install project:

It has GM Railbuckers on the bridge and a Fleor coil sized rails on neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yep, it has 2 output jacks. It has the capability to play bass at the same time through an actual bass amp. I'll demo the guitar on a separate thread soon.

dbrian66, Flying Z, radiotech and 5 others like this.
  7. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    dbrian66 and Flying Z like this.
  8. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Flying Z and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Well...if you "adjust" them , by raising or lowering them, (they are screws), some of mine "dropped" in, so they are "not in a screw hole but just squeezed by 2 magnets...So I used the silicone between the screws and magnets to provide them something to bite on. It's not cheesy ..it's clear and looks like wax... Oh it works, I had some laying around,,, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MKBBQTC/?tag=squiertalk-20

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Has anyone else tried the Hybrid 25’s? I put a set in my Starcaster build and absolutely love them. They use three Alnico V’s and three Alnico II’s. You get nice bright clarity ont the three bass strings, but don’t have the ice pick harshness on the treble strings. Cool idea in my opinion.

Flying Z likes this.
  11. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Dave M, thanks for that information, I was curious about that too. So the silicone drys solid enough to give support to the threads, but doesn't "glue" them in place, right?

I haven't been able to find a good YT clip of these pickups in use, but hope eventually there will be one. The only one I found is pretty noisy.

Having no threaded "cores" for the screws to go in is why there is such a big difference in price between these and a more advanced design like the Rose Morticias. But I'll give the GMs a try in one of my budget builds soon.

https://www.rosepickups.com/new-products/freedom-t-90-bridge
    Not sure why the Rose site mentions the Tele T-90s, but the pic is the Strat set. I know the Rose design works beautifully since I have a set of the Freedoms in one of my Teles.

12. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Yes...GM knows about the problem cause I talked to him...I like 'em, so i wanted them to work...

dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice