In Need of Some Honest Opinions and Expert Advice

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by WNCStratman, Sep 8, 2019.

1. WNCStratman

WNCStratman Squier-Meister

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    Evening y’all!!
    I’ve been really enjoying my time and the content here. Since I’ve just recently gotten back into electric guitars, I’ve got one Affinity Strat that was given to me and I have an older Peavey Raptor EXP Plus on the way(should be here Wednesday). I’m thinking that the only other electrics I really want are one more Strat and I also want a Tele.
    I’ve read, researched, and given a lot of hours of thought into it. I am not interested in buying anymore completes, I’d rather build the Strat and Tele I want from parts so I can really make it mine. I’ve got a good idea what I want to do electronic/pups wise. My biggest question is what direction to go with bodies and necks for these two builds. There’s so many opinions out there and so much information and I will be the first to admit I’m overwhelmed.
    The Strat and Tele builds will both be done over a longer period of time I’ve decided. I’d rather take the time to save up for good quality parts and build what I want without compromise. This isn’t about doing this on the cheap, I want to build a Strat and a Tele that I will not only be proud of them, but to be able to keep them for the rest of my life, play them, enjoy them and one day pass them down to my kids.
    I also do want to say, even though I’m going to be doing this over a longer period of time, I’m also not looking to drop 3 grand on one guitar build. What I’m looking for is that sweet spot between cheap and expensive.
    What are the best quality bodies and necks for a build like this? Should I go Squier CV, Fender MIM, Fender MIA? Price wise, I’ve found MIA Fender bodies for $300 or so. Is it worth the extra $$$ for MIA or is MIM Fender truly the middle ground? Or should I go a company like Warmoth for bodies and necks?
    Any help, thoughts, or input from any of y’all with experience with all of these would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate the help fellas!!
    -Josh

CVSteve and dbrian66 like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    If you’re completely disregarding budget and are looking for quality customizable body and neck options, it’s hard to wrong with Warmoth.

Caddy, Wizzer, strat_strummer and 2 others like this.
  3. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    That’s kind of the direction I’ve been leaning after looking at countless sites for used and new Strat and Tele bodies. I just wanted to get some input from others on here as I’ve never had any firsthand experience with Warmoth but I have had my hands on Squiers, MIM Fenders and a couple MIA Fenders in times past.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Any way you want to go is up to you - the most important advice I can give is that it's important that a guitar be assembled and setup properly. Nut slot depth would have to be fine tuned on any neck that wasn't from a previous factory guitar, and possibly fret level and crown. There's also the issue of drilling the neck holes in the right spot and aligning it. I've seen many people try to build guitars with not a lot of experience and end up with something very unplayable. How experienced are you?

5. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    First, welcome aboard. If you've never built a guitar before, perhaps a starter project is in order. There are a great number of CV 50's Tele fans here, who feel the quality is equal to some of the best MIMs & MIAs built. Test one to verily what we already know. If you agree, buy one used, try some of your proposed mods, and build it to your specs. You will gain some valuable experience for future projects and maybe wind up with one hell of a guitar.

6. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    I’ve swapped factory parts out on different guitars over the years but I’ve never ventured into custom stuff before. That’s why I’m asking for advice. I mean I definitely want to learn but maybe now isn’t the right time for a custom build. Maybe I just need to find factory parts from Squier and Fender and build, or buy a higher end used Squier and swap out the tuners, pups, pickguard, etc and make it what I want.

zammie and dbrian66 like this.
  7. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    That’s really solid advice dude, I appreciate it.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
  9. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    You could look at getting a classic vibe Tele and modding it. I had one like this and replaced all the electrics, 4 way switch, pickups ,jack plate (stock cup type sucks), and saddles and it made for an incredible Tele, after a pro setup it was definitely an amazing guitar for what I spent all up. Much better than stock mim teles, and after doing my own builds, I'd definitely do the CV things again over piecing together another guitar.
    Would look great with a bridge cover too.
    images.jpeg

brians, dbrian66, surf green and 3 others like this.
  10. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Thats how I got started...Depending on what you mean by putting a guitar together. With a body here and a neck there problems can arise from mis-match neck pocket to neck fitment. Even factory's fit there necks differently. I mean whats with the neck-tilt adjust on AM strats, why wouldn't it be perfect from the get go....
    Unless your gifted....experience comes from mistakes.o_O
    I just finished a Tele project I started in February...Went from a Squier HH Bullet and turned it into a "Non" Thinline '72 modified Tele. ( Got a Loaded Pickguard ) Did a complete Fret Job using Jumbo Frets. (Frets are cheap). Redid the Body configuration, and painted it using Areosol automotive paint.
    Check out this place to kinda of pricy sometimes.. http://www.ebaystores.com/thestratosphere
    Lots of places sell guitar that they get tear them down and sell it parted out.
    Go to Pawn stores and get something to start on. TOOLS can be made ..You Tube is Full of Info !!!

In closing..I spent alot of money just for the experience. My Fret job , I went thru the first set of frets cause the Fret board was not Totally FLAT...It's a must !!! I made a bunch of mistakes and read about better ideas later...Like wet down rosewood, it wont chip out as bad when you pull the frets.
    I had alot of wood working tools already when i started this, sanders, routers and such...but you don't have to buy all you tools from the pro's, unless you are gonna be one... your young...you got's lot's of time.....:)

Attached Files:

brians, zammie, Viking and 7 others like this.
  11. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    Appreciate the advice man, that sunburst Tele is slick!!! That’s definitely more of what I have in mind for a Tele.

12. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    Hey Dave,
    I really appreciate your advice and willingness to share it. There’s a lot of helpful information in your comment and I needed the encouragement!!

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Fender sells necks and bodies now so you can pick and choose what you want and build from there.

14. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier Talker

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    The only reason I would go with a MIA body over an import is if it were a Nitro finish. If you are going to go with a custom body and finish it yourself then I suggest building a sacrificial guitar on the cheap first as part of a learning curve.

I love Teles but needed a Strat and was considering building a Tele-Strat over buying one of those $2k dollar parallel universe models Fender USA is producing now. That is just ridiculous money compared to what MIA were going for when I was a kid in the 90s. But then I picked up my CV Thinline for $200 online and was blown away by the quality coming from Asia. So I stalked the internet for a CV50s Strat because I prefer maple necks and found the one I own now with some upgrades I would have done myself eventually(CS Texas Special p'ups, Emerson wiring, Tusq nut). For $401.25 delivered with a Fender USA SKB case, I couldn't pass it up.
    IMG_20190908_230455538.jpg

brians, Rat cam 68, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  15. chefjeff

chefjeff Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2019
    California
    Just throwing this out there, because I have not used products from this company, but have heard they are solid. But MiteyMite sells reasonably priced necks and bodies as well. Honestly though the advise you have in this thread to start with an inexpensive Squire model (not bullet but Affinity at least) is a great starting point. There are so many options to upgrade components now. Just find a model that you like the neck dimensions and feel, and build from there.

drewcp, dbrian66 and WNCStratman like this.
  16. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    I’ve got an Affinity that was given to me. It’s the one in my profile pic. It’s an ‘03 Indonesian model. Maybe I just need to take it apart and rebuild it the way I want first as a way to learn and get more familiar with it.

dbrian66 and fattboyzz like this.
  17. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    Appreciate the advice Buddy. Beautiful collection you have there!!

dbrian66 and BuddyLee like this.
  18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Great idea !

You will gain some knowledge and have a nicer guitar too ;)

Win win !

zammie, dbrian66 and WNCStratman like this.
  19. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    If you are able, go to a store and find a neck that you really like. Then base your build off of that. In my rather limited experience, it's all the fine tuning and finishing work that makes a guitar feel great. Both of my Squier Standards feel better and (to me) have better play-ability than a MIM out-of-the-box at Guitar Center. I've even put my hands on some used MIA Strats at Guitar Center only to feel somewhat disappointed in the feel. I don't think you have to spend a lot of money to get a great feeling and playing guitar if you put the elbow grease in to dial it in.

Dave M, fattboyzz and WNCStratman like this.
  20. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    That’s what I’m thinking!! I’m gonna wait till that old Peavey Raptor Exp Plus I ordered shows up to my house(supposed to be here Wednesday). Once I get it cleaned up, some new strings on it and get it setup, I will start surgery on the Affinity lol. Want to make sure I’ve got a playable electric before I deconstruct my Squier.

Dave M, BuddyLee and fattboyzz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice