In honor of Black History Month, which African American has personally inspired you most?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Chuck Berry
    Charles Mingus
    Big Jack Johnson
    Muddy waters
    Son House
    Hubert Sumlin

Wow, I could go on for hours!

2. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Ray Charles
    Stevie Wonder
    Tina Turner

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    For me it's Prince. I could listen to Purple Rain forever I think. One of my all time favorite albums. More recently I've been listening to Gary Clark Jr. a lot.

^^^^^^I agree^^^^^^

Wizzer, DougMen, Jim Belaye and 5 others like this.
  4. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philly Area
  5. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    The greatest early blues man that I can think of is Robert Johnson.

Treynor, DougMen, Jim Belaye and 2 others like this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    ...and there’s Wes Montgomery....

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    A great live video of Freddy King. This man rocks!

8. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    SO many have inspired me, and more than just "musically"...

two in particular, however - both spent a large part of their short lives spreading the power of love:

Jimi Hendrix
    Bob Marley

Me thinks the world could use a bit more love today (hate seems to be gaining strength) :(

EGrier, Shine, Treynor and 3 others like this.
  9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Rear Admiral Grace Hopper. "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission..." And coined the term "bug" relative to computers when a moth was found in a series of relays.

I don't think any of us would be interacting without her contributions to computer science.

ADLGMT8, Treynor, VealCutlet and 6 others like this.
  10. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    Music delivers that love and peace. Barry Gordy's Motown broke down barriers and gave the world something to sing to and dance to. Epic and legendary songs and artists.

The Temptations
    The Supremes
    Marvin Gaye
    The Four Tops
    Martha and the Vandelas
    The Marvelettes
    Stevie Wonder
    Jackson 5
    Mary Wells
    The Miracles

I think Barry Gordy had a bigger impact on the world, and music, than The Beatles. But, wow, this thread has reminded me of so many greats...

James Jamerson
    Stanley Clarke
    Bootsy Collins
    Sly & The Family Stone (First concert I ever went to)
    GEORGE CLINTON & PARLIAMENT!
    Tower of Power (I've seen the original band open for Jeff Beck)
    Victor Wooten
    Marcus Miller

The list is almost endless.

11. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Jimi , Billie Holiday and Charley Pride

12. southsidesmoka

southsidesmoka Squier Talker

Feb 3, 2018
    Columbia, SC USA
    If I have to be specific and pick...

From a general perspective: my dear, old dad

From a musical standpoint: Jimi Hendrix

Robb, squierbilly, Treynor and 7 others like this.
  13. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

nelson-mandela-02-1.jpg

Not a musician but a man utterly without rancor in spite of the system that kept him locked up for 27 years.

Treynor, VealCutlet, grizmit and 3 others like this.
  14. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    Elmore James
    Jimmy Reed

Treynor, VealCutlet and DougMen like this.
  15. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Jimi Hedrix . The question said which ONE, he was the first on my long list.:)

Treynor and DougMen like this.
  16. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
  17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Most of my favorite horn players and other favorite guitar players were already mentioned. Except for my first major guitar player influence - Wes Montgomery. My guitar teacher turned me on to jazz when I was maybe 10 or 12. I was already getting lots of Carlos Santana's melodic lines in my head and I knew about Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton. I really liked the way Jimi Hendrix played clean rhythm guitar - you could tell he played with horn bands because he wasn't just slamming out power chords. But when I heard Wes for the first time it was like this was the guy you wanted to hear playing when there was no piano and no horns - he could cover it all - but of course he was great with horns and keys as well. The recordings he did with Jimmy Smith are still fun to listen to. Even today, Wes is never that far away on any gig. But I'll never be able to play the way he did. That was definitely all his own.

Afrika61, Treynor and DougMen like this.
  18. KankRat

KankRat Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2018
    Chicagoland
    Sonny Sharrock

wonkenstein, DougMen and Treynor like this.
  19. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Very hard to pick just one. Famous historical and pop culture icons are plenty, but I've had a number of people close to me who have also been a huge inspiration.

The father of one of my best friends when I was growing up in the 80s was among the first black students (the 5th to be exact) to be enrolled at VA Tech in 1955. This was back during a time when he wasn't allowed to even go out and have coffee with classmates. But he graduated, and went on to become an engineer. Retired not long ago.

As a kid, he provided great inspiration for me musically by always playing great jazz records around the house. He knew everything about the greats, and turned me and other kids in our friend group on to some fantastic artists.

What's interesting is that I actually never knew his Tech story until many years later when I was a grown man myself. It wasn't something he or his family ever mentioned. I'm not sure he'd want to be singled out as an inspiring African American figure, but when I found out, I was pretty floored.

On a side note, my good friend went on to also graduate from VT and years later became the senior executive for alumni relations at VA Tech. He holds the job today.

20. SkeeterSkooter

SkeeterSkooter Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Ms. Eileen.

She was the best teacher I had in school. The only teacher that I ever had who truly treated every student equally. Not the same, b/c kids need different things to learn, but we were all equals, all of our voices mattered, all of our voices were heard. Nobodies opinion mattered more than anyone else's.

She taught us so much about life and being a human being without ever lecturing or talking at us. Her actions and body language did all of the work.

I miss her.