Improving your sense of rhythm

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fattboyzz, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    that is good advise for players that need better rhythm. I have good rhythm mostly due to takeing some drum lessons when I was 14. Did my instructors start us off using a metronome you bet they did.

dbrian66 and fattboyzz like this.
  2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Very sound advise..My biggest problem has always been my poor sense of meter..I have a tendency to speed up..Always on ahead of the beat..Couple that with a drummer and bass player with the same issues and it gets crazy mixed up..Been there done that..
    Use the metrodome..

Afrika61 and fattboyzz like this.
  3. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Meh....the slow decay of the quartz crystal implanted in my sinus by extraterrestrials keeps a nice steady beat, although it's a bit monotonous...

WNCStratman, Afrika61 and oneLOCOman like this.
  4. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    I never had a metronome, but for years (in college) I always jammed along to drum patterns on a cheap old Casio keyboard. I've been told I have impeccable timing.

fattboyzz likes this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    There are two major aspects to "rhythm." Constancy and accuracy being one, elasticity -- its opposite, but in absolute control, being the other.

The worst players lack both. The best players excel in both.

Most of us through practice (and yes, a metronome is a good tool for this) can master the first. The 2nd seems to fall more into the "what God has left out no man can put in" category.

I today play almost exclusively with what I call The Black Box Band. It sounds pretty human, but its heart is a metronome.

That, though, is in one way a plus: Its constancy allows me elasticity, even though I do not possess a true master's control.

Those with that gift are rare, and even working with such is wonderful.

Mike Machat (drums) and Roger Ponzi (bass) were probably to Abstracts fans the least musically front and center of the band's members. (Roger's showmanship, though, put him out front) But we band members knew that the exact opposite was the case. For the two of them together was perfection in both categories. Creative but absolutely on the mark beat and rhythm-wise

Here's one of my favorite tracks of them working off one-another. (Notice how my guitar become the metronome!)

-don

Roger Memorium.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    heehee... it don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing.....

duceditor likes this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Exactly!

And just as a child can often tell when they are being lied to so something within us knows.

Kind'a wonderful when you think about it. Even for those of us without "it." Right up there with "truth" and "beauty." :)

-don

8. WNCStratman

WNCStratman Squier-Meister

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    Rhythm is something I’ve never struggled with. It seems like it’s something that was just ingrained in me from the moment I picked up a guitar. I do think that through lots of practice that someone can definitely improve their rhythm but there’s a certain point where no amount of practice is going to replace something that’s just naturally there. Prime example, a kid I grew up with started playing guitar around the same time I did. He spent hours reading tablature and learning different songs but regardless of how much he practiced, his rhythm was horrible. As far as I know it was something he was never able to remedy. Just my two cents.....

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

I've always had a metronome of some sort around. But, once the loopers and Trio devices became available, I have found them to be much more useful tools.
    Not only do they keep my timing on track, but they allow me to work on my improvisational skills as well.
    Hours on end.........

waynes world likes this.
  10. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I agree with all of the above. I just wanted to throw this into the discussion.

WNCStratman and fattboyzz like this.
  11. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I agree there's a lot more to rhythm than playing in time with a metronome but I don't think it's a gift that you're born with. In my experience, the most 'talented' musicians are those that have worked the hardest to learn their instrument. Playing with swing is quite simple for example - just play a bit behind the beat (from a guitarist's perspective I mean).

12. WNCStratman

WNCStratman Squier-Meister

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    That’s a fantastic video, thanks for adding that in Steve!!

CVSteve likes this.
  13. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    ;)

14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Thanks for posting this . It's like a mini rhythm clinic ;)

CVSteve likes this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice