Images!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Sep 6, 2018.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    A 1980 Yamaha 400 I built and painted. I always liked this pic of it.

2.jpg

2. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Nice café, beautiful photo.

MrYeats likes this.
  3. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    I like the full manual control without all the bulk of an SLR. When my G12 dies I will replace it with what ever the top of the line G model is or equivalent with a viewfinder and hot shoe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Which ties in interestingly with your signature line -- "It's the Indian, not the arrow."

In imaging as in music making some find the tool key, others see it as a mundane necessity and little more.

That said it is, from what I have seen, generally where most of us start, and only slowly do we realize that the greatest tool is the one within our own head. (Although telling someone that before they have reached the conclusion themselves seems of little use. It is a lesson we each must learn on our own and in our own time.)

Maybe it is the years of handling pro equipment, and being able to justify getting anything I needed, or that just caught my fancy, but "cameras" to me have become of little interest.

A good many years ago I had the joy of teaching a class on photography to the students in Boston's then existing "Gifted and Talented" program. (Today I think such would not be allowed to exist.) The two biggest obstacles I faced -- and I faced them head on among the first lessons -- was that there is a difference between the statements "It is good" and "I like it." (Although both are legitimate responses.) And that what matters is not the gear.

The greatest help in the later was that Polaroid Corporation had jumped at the opportunity to sponsor the class by providing the students (and me) free cameras and film.

"These are crap" was the response of more than a few of the students as I distributed the plastic cameras that popped out already developing prints. "They have no adjustability."

I'd just point a finger to the students head and say "all the adjustability you'll need for your assignments in this class will be found here." Then we'd get busy learning to "see" and isolate color, shape, form, texture and pattern, and then to create images using those "crap" unadjustable cameras that revealed each of those qualities.

By the end of the class the work of many of the students was thrilling. And the capability (or lack thereof) of the cameras became subjects of less and less interest to them.

Which is not to say that later they wouldn't come to appreciate what a "better" tool could do in their hands -- if their minds remained active.

What was equally fun was watching those two different perspectives -- "It is good" and "I like it"-- merge as some of the students began to develop the beginning of a personal vision and style.

Again, it may have been the gear I used during my working years, or perhaps the technical aspect of so much that I did (imaging for scientific and medical journals and presentation), but these days as I am happy with my iPhone as with my DSLR system.
    -For for me the "camera" no longer exists as a point of interest. But turning whatever "it" captures into what I see/saw in my mind, that is what fascinates me and absorbs me totally.

Is that a gain, or a loss?

I suppose that in the end we'll each have to decide for ourselves.

-don

5. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    There is an old photographers axiom that goes something like "The best camera in the world is the one you have on you when you need a camera." Back in the day before digital I had the big honking Nikon F1 with the 40 pound bag of expensive lenses, but the camera that got the most and the best shots was grandpas old hand me down Leica because it easily fit in a jacket or cargo pocket, the only downside was remembering to remove the lens cover, a non-issue with an SLR. :)

Afrika61 and duceditor like this.
  6. jgn1974

jgn1974 Squier Talker

Nov 9, 2018
    Scotland
    I studied photography at college in my early 20's. I've managed to keep it up since then and still enjoy the feeling of capturing something special. A few pics attached. I'm a big fan of Mountains... IMG_0621-4.jpg IMG_1084.jpg DSCF0920.jpg _MG_7097.jpg IMG_0711.jpg

Loin Lover, DrBeGood, Wizzer and 3 others like this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That is beautiful work @jgn1974 ! :)

-don

jgn1974 likes this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My Image for the Day

"Sun Through Icy Trees"

Sun Through Icy Trees.jpg

-don

Las Palmas Norte and jgn1974 like this.
  9. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
  10. jgn1974

jgn1974 Squier Talker

Nov 9, 2018
    Scotland
    Thanks Don. I'm a better photographer than I am a guitar player unfortunately! Cheers, John

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  11. FretYeNot

FretYeNot Squier-Nut

Jan 8, 2015
    UK
    Canon EOS 1000D, acquired when I left the news biz and set off on a six-month journey around the country until the money started running out. I dropped the 18-55 lens last summer in a moment of carelessness and it went flaky for a while, then stopped communicating with the camera altogether. Unless Santa is kind this Xmas, I remain reliant on a 55-200 Tamron. Pic is of my cosmetic adjustments to my 51 (which has been behaving much better with 8s fitted and the nut lubed).
    Other pics are: Festive scene in Canterbury Cathedral; and yours truly using the Canon in bluebell wood.
    Not been on here in a while, real life getting in the way and all that ... hope you are all well.

Attached Files:

daan and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  12. After the morning rain today (Dec. 11-18), I stepped out around the property for closer look around.

Dec.11-a.jpg
    Dec.11-b.jpg
    Dec.11-c.jpg
    Dec.11-d.jpg
    Dec.11-e.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

Loin Lover, jgn1974, Wizzer and 3 others like this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My Image for the Day

"Snowed Last Night"

Snowed Last Night.jpg

-don

14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
  15. jgn1974

jgn1974 Squier Talker

Nov 9, 2018
    Scotland
    Hi. Thanks. I do enjoy a bit of climbing but nothing too technical.

We have a young baby now so I have not had the time to get out climbing since he was born.

That's a beautiful photograph. Where is it?

16. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Thanks. It's at my backyard ski resort, in Sutton, Quebec.

17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My Image for the Day 2

"Ice on a Tree"

Ice on a Tree.jpg

-don

daan and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  18. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2018
    KcMo
    I am a total Luddite. I like to use these 94EF6E39-00E9-4EED-9D8D-86328E2FA139.jpeg
    And photograph these. CBA51C6B-1D31-457A-82F2-B45978EE0A49.jpeg EB23EF6D-B978-406D-B962-5B85AEEBCFB5.jpeg 3D70C352-FD65-44A1-A055-E1DA015B3FA9.jpeg C1ABECC2-C49A-440D-B07B-4756FBD57F7A.jpeg I

19. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Two images today.

"Snow Blown"

Snow Blown.jpg

and "Snow Shadows"

SnowShadows.jpg

-don

Loin Lover, daan and Nickadermis like this.
  20. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice