I'm Gonna Just Say It...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, May 18, 2017.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The better Squiers are as good as any other guitar.

(Boy it's good to have that of my chest!)

As a bit of background to support this subjective claim: I've been playing for well over fifty years (be sixty soon!). Owned lots and lots. Gibsons. Fenders. Some as old as the late fifties, early sixties. Own several fairly pricy guitars now.

These days I am playing the Squier VM Jag the most. It wants for nothing.

Really and truly.

It is gorgeous.
    It feel great in my hands.
    Three years of regular use and nothing has failed or ever hinted that it was ever going to.
    My Affinity Tele -- a 2004 -- is worn down to bare wood on parts of it's maple fretboard. Ditto the above.

Okay, I haven't bought into the "tonewood" and "thin finish" legends. View that as a fault if you will. But if so the fault is mine, not the guitar's.

Nor have I seen evidence that those made "here" are better than those made "there." Chinese. Indonesian. Korean.

In truth in all my years of playing only one guitar was a true PITA -- one thing failing after another. It was one of those famed Made-In-Japan Fenders. A fifties reissue. A total roach, at least as to the wiring and electrical components.

No, I am a Squier man. Likely now and as close to forever as this ol' bod will allow.

-don

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    jamndad, theflow, eaglesgift and 24 others like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What are you saying?

:p

Brever, Bailey1214, jefffam and 4 others like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I know that today's beginner instruments are world's above yesterday's beginner instruments.

Variability may be wider between instruments. I have two Affinity's at home now ... one is almost brand new, but has really jagged fret ends. The other is smoother than a baby's butt.

My Pink Bullet is one of my favorite instruments to play. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Love it to the ends of the earth.

jamndad, skypeace, Brever and 7 others like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    In truth that was so for my Affinites as well. Took 'em down to smooth some time ago.

I think this is an area where newer are initially better than older. One rarely hears this any more.

-don

jamndad, willhowl, jefffam and 4 others like this.
  5. FretYeNot

FretYeNot Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2015
    UK
    I'm with you on the VM Jazzmaster, despite that pesky bridge which I'm still on a quest with, and the Cabronita Tele. The 51, however, has been a reminder of the bad old days. There really seems to be something in that gold vs black logo thing.

jefffam, ElRey67 and Rollmeaway like this.
  6. Bear

Bear Squier-holic

Oct 29, 2013
    Kentucky
    I have been a player for sixty years and have owned and played some of the finest and most revered guitars ever built and my go to guitars are my Squier Bullet Strats. If I were still gigging, they would be my guitars of choice onstage.

Both of my Bullets cost $120.00 in 2016. In 1967, they would have cost $16.60 when you figure in inflation. The only new guitar that you could buy for under $20.00 in 1967 would have been made of plastic and found in the toy department of Sears & Roebuck.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    jamndad, Cavediver, skypeace and 10 others like this.
  7. Dan Sotelo

Dan Sotelo Squier-Nut

Sep 19, 2013
    progreso tx
    Best Guitar I've ever owned was a Squier I miss it!

jamndad, skypeace, ElRey67 and 2 others like this.
  8. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Another great post, Don!

I know it's largely environmental (or so they say) but my Epiphones and Squiers have, for the most part, had wonderful necks and good fret ends. Just some minor, amateur luthiering, and they look good, they feel good, and they sound good.

I know the old, tried-and-true adage , "There's not thousands of dollars of difference" but I've found this to be esp. true with the Squiers vs. Fenders that I've handled/played. Not that I've noticed that the Squiers are better, but, that there's not really a difference in my hands. And, in the same environment, I've felt Fender fret-ends to be more obtrusive than Squier fret-ends.

I'm no expert, but, in my mind, I'm happy enough with Epiphones and Squiers that I doubt I'll ever pop the extra hundreds (Fender) or thousands (Gibsons) for the "better" name.

jamndad, skypeace, DaveDrums and 5 others like this.
  9. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I hear ya. I have owned at least one guitar continuously since about 1968-9 when my old man got tired of me borrowing his gigging axes and bought me my own Gibson acoustic.

It's almost a given on this forum that we are going to have to setup and smooth some frets on these new guitars. I have not owned a fraction of the guitars that some of y'all have. I have a good understanding of them anyway, thanks to "Carolina Charlie". (my father)

In my younger days I owned a Tele, a Strat and a P-bass. All probably mid to late 60's pre owned Fenders. I sold them and all my other equipment to pursue motorcycling. In the last few years I picked it back up to get closer to my son, who I taught to play. I was completely ignorant of Squiers until the first day I started on this new journey. When I get into something it's all or nothing. I am the guy who buys a new pencil sharpener and spends a hour reading the instruction manual before using it.

So I found out about the new construction methods of these new guitars. CNC machines etc. Getting into Strats was just a circumstance of them fitting the best while seated in my wheelchair. Besides the Fenders I owned as a youth, I have not owned one ever again. I have played enough high dollar instruments, over the years, to have a feel for them though. They are great instruments.

Then I walked into GC one day a saw three identical black Squier Bullet Strats they were clearing out for new stuff. $70 each, get them now or never. I went back and forth for about an hour. Looking at them from all angles, playing and trying to sound them out with my old ears. One stood out. Straight neck, nice action with plenty of adjustment on the saddle screws telling me it didn't need to be shimmed. I bought it on the spot and got a huge discount on a floor model Mustang 3 amp. That one is my favorite guitar despite owning several more expensive models.

So yea, like they say, the Squiers we play today are better than the guitars they recorded our favorite music with back in the sixties. I think my Standard is just as good as anything short of something out of the Fender custom shop.

If I did gig, I'd use a Squier just to bug the crap out of people.

jamndad, skypeace, Kickstand and 8 others like this.
  10. Hard Road

Hard Road Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2017
    Orange County
    Squiers are great. The stigma attatched to the name just makes them more affordable to me so im good with it. I will play my tele anywhere.

11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I Love all my SQUIER's ! Well said Don !

jamndad, skypeace, Robb and 3 others like this.
  12. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I'm a squier nut for sure. I'm a recruiter for the squier army lol.

jamndad, skypeace, Robb and 7 others like this.
  13. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

Oct 19, 2010
    seattle,WA
    I wouldn't trade any of my Squiers for anything.

jamndad, skypeace, Robb and 6 others like this.
  14. Joe90

Joe90 Squier-Meister

Jul 6, 2014
    Western Canada
    I'm too inexperienced to know if this is true or not, but I like hearing it.

I'm one of those people who like to brag about how little they paid for quality, whether it's a guitar or wine that comes in a screw top bottle.

My name is Joe90 and I'm a screw cap sniffer.

jamndad, skypeace, Kickstand and 9 others like this.
  15. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I love my Squiers!! I like high end guitars too, but only at a bargain price. Lol. My Squier E9 MIA is an excellent instrument! I really dig my 2000 Squier Standard Jimicaster! And lastly my 2007 Squier Affinity Stratocaster - Blacked out is a blast to play!

16. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Great post Don & all the others.

Personally I would even take it further. I have Squier's dating from '92 through 2015. All are decent guitars to fantastic.

My absolute favorites are the '92-'97 'NC' ones from Yako in Tiawan. Nice wide, flat, rosewood neck,full size body, decent to really nice pickups.

This is to the point that I don't really look at the expensive models, even in Squier. Yes, at some future date I want a Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Les Paul and a 335 style semi-hollow, but am well satisfied with the guitars I have, so I can wait for a steal price on what I want. The vast majority of my guitars are Squiers, ('NC's as of today number 5, by themselves. :) ).

17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Some guitars back then were very good. Yes, and they were the expensive ones.

The inexpensive ones typically were crap. That's a fact.

Now whether recordings were made with the latter... Not that I am aware. Most of us started with crap and moved up to good as quickly as we could. Faster than most of us made it into the studio, much less a recording contract.

I'm sure some exception(s) can be found. But playing a crap guitar wasn't then like wearing torn jeans are now. A "statement." (Neither was wearing torn jeans back then!) No, every player I knew wanted good gear. We just didn't obsess about it. What we obsessed about was the music.

This photo clipping from Ugly Things Magazine pretty well tells the story. The Abstracts first studio session. Al and I both were playing Gibsons, Our only guitars. Our first electrics. Less just wouldn't do.

Ugly Things Clip.JPG

-don

18. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I also love the fact that Squiers are typically undervalued in pawn shops. A Squier strat, is a strat, is a strat. It doesn't seem to matter what model, from Bullet to Affinity to SE to Standards, they are all priced the same around here, which has led to some great finds for me, including the practically free Standard pictured in my avatar.

19. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    It is not just the higher end Squires. I have told this story before, but will again.

I have an old buddy I have been playing guitar with since high school over 50 years ago who owns a house full of high end MIA Fenders. I still jam with him and a couple other old high school buddies. One owned a 1959 Strat back in high school. He now plays a Gibson LP. The other owns a bunch of high end guitars and normally plays a PRS when we get together.

One time earlier I had taken my Squier SE to the one's house. The one with all the Fenders. After we played for a while he asked to play my SE. He did for a while and said that it was a great Strat.

Later I took that SE to one of the jam sessions we had with the other guys.
    When I took the SE out of the case he told the guy that had owned the 1959 Strat that he had to try my SE. He was also really impressed with it, as was the guy playing the PRS. Pretty good for a modded pawn shop acquired Squier SE that I have about $200 total invested in

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    jamndad, skypeace, Kickstand and 7 others like this.
  20. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    I couldn't be happier with my one and (so far) only Squier. I've heard Fender quality went down during the CBS period. I also wonder how today's modern construction techniques compare with those of the early days.