I'm gonna check this out tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by mitch_cumsteen, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:55 AM.

1. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier Talker

Jun 25, 2018
    San Rafael Swell
    https://boise.craigslist.org/msg/d/fender-squier-strat-guitar/6662524259.html

I texted the owner and he doesn't seem to know much about it or he just didn't want to tell me much.

Looks like a '96 Made in China with 22 frets. This one has been modded with a 11 hole pickguard and a kill switch and some REALLY HORRIBLE screws.

How can I tell if the pickups are original?

$75 seems kinda steep for such a modded rig. He said he's firm on the price.

96.jpg 96 2.jpg

2. I don't know much about it either, but you have to go in letting him know straight off that there's a lot to correct on this. Price should be adjusted accordingly … or walk. See where he calls you back.
    Cheers, Barrie.

3. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
  4. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    He's made sure that even with HEAVY metal, that pickguard won't fall off

5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Can he forward you the serial number? 22 fret dakota red NC6 ?

dbrian66 and danzigdan like this.
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    All you would need is a new pickguard, clean up wiring, done...

I suspect that the screws may be sheet metal screws and/or with a wide and shallow pan head. I doubt they are countersunk pan or have a large diameter screw itself. Even so -toothpicks and Titebond is easy.

Go $55 and tell him what you want to clean up on it.

dbrian66 and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    San Rafael Swell
    Why? Is it the guitar itself or the mods?

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    San Rafael Swell
    He said he's firm on the price. He also has some other guitars listed and they're overpriced too.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    San Rafael Swell
    After some research, I'm pretty sure that's what it is without even seeing the serial number. I asked and he told me to come look at it myself in so many words.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    dbrian66 likes this.
  10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    well..ok. What is the market like near you and are you ok with it? In Chicago, I can easily pick and choose and haggle, maybe where you live not so much. And if he says you have to check it out, go check it out. You have to anyway, right?

And then I always break down my money. It's $75. maybe you will go $75 -have your top price in mind, but keep $15 in your pocket. You hold out your hand with $60, they may take it.

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    $75 is about the correct price for a dakota red NC6. Black tend to be a bit lower. White and SB would be slightly higher.

Fill in the screw holes and mod up a storm. The pool route and full thickness body are great for modding. Throw in some HB and make it roar !!!

12. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    San Rafael Swell
    I'm in Idaho. You have almost twice as many people in your city than I have in my entire state. So, what I'm sayin' is, "pickins is slim up on in herr". And our sellers aren't the most savvy or knowledgeable. There's an ad on CL right now for a Mexican Strat for $720 (started out at $800). I tried to explain to the seller that maybe the price was a tad high but they didn't want to hear it.

I don't HAVE to see it but maybe if I'm out that way.... ;)

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Wow. $720? I can get 3 MIMs here for that. 2 easily!

Good luck!

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    Looks like my Dakota NC6. Besides the pickguard mod if it’s in excellent shape and plays well I’d do the $75.

dbrian66 and mitch_cumsteen like this.
  15. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Anyone who is " happy " with that screw job would chase me away, wondering what other horror mods have been done, but that's just me.

16. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    Get it and play it !

You might diggit :0)

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    True. $80 off an $800 guitar is NOT true depreciation. He'll be keeping it until he dies.

Depreciation on guitars is around 50%.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Did you get it ???

dbrian66 likes this.
  19. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Check it out in person and if neck is good and no other major issues, it's only $75! I think I could do better in my area but if it's scarce for you then maybe! I'm assuming you have mods in mind! If buying to just play, I'd look a little longer. What's with the nut, is that just in the photo or what?

20. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    San Rafael Swell
    I looked at it, that white spot up by the nut is putty or bondo or some s**t, the neck had so so much concave bow in it the strings were about 1/4" off the fretboard when I held the string down at the first and last fret, and the pickups aren't original. I didn't even try/want to play it. That thing is worth about $25. The only good thing on it was the body.

I passed.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 1:01 AM
    so1om, Davis Sharp and duggerh like this.