if you had say OVER a thousand dollars what strat would you buy.

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by gary mitchell, Feb 8, 2020.

1. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Don't hold back Doug. Tell us how you really feel.

2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

All I'm missing from my Strat collection is the MIJ 12 string. And they run a little over a grand, including shipping, on Ebay

3. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    OVER $1000? Hmmmmm.

How 'bout buying a dozen Bullets or Affinity's (OP didn't say how much over a grand) and making them available, for FREE, to youngsters in need who will benefit from such an opportunity?

4. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    That Se of mine about to make that choice for me. TOOK another shot today.. No tango..lol..

gary mitchell and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
  6. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire Pub
    To sell to people that didn't like the shape of a Telecaster and to maximise profits.

Las Palmas Norte and dbrian66 like this.
  7. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Meister

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I like Fenders about all my basses are fender except my Lakland, and I have a Fender AMS telecaster, but i am not a big fan of fenders tremolos. I guess cause i am use to using Floyd Rose tremolos, I could do more with a floyd. my ibanez ex140 has a fender type tremolo i don't care about it i just soon have a bigsby and i was thinking about putting one on my tele, skwhmvg6b6wutkvjn2nf.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    ToneChaser77 and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Nor did anyone else :D Cheers, Barrie.

9. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    gary mitchell likes this.
  10. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier Talker

Jan 22, 2019
    Ohio
    I'd also go with a Clapton Strat, but in pewter.

gary mitchell and BlueSquirrel like this.
  11. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Good choice, Clapton strats are great! So versatile!

I would possibly go with something totally different though, such as the Ed O'Brien strat with a sustainer pickup in the bridge for ethereal sounds (besides, I love Radiohead's music).

12. Squierman65

Squierman65 New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Rayleigh, Essex, UK
    Honestly? I'd be looking for a JV series Squier Stratocaster. The '57 model, like Buddy Holly played. From top price to bottom of the barrel, mine was the BEST Strat I have EVER played.
    I was forced to sell mine years ago, then managed to buy it back, and then my ex-wife sold it again while I was away on tour and wouldn't tell me who she sold it to. Hence, "EX-wife".
    My Strat of choice these days is the Squier "Classic Vibe" version of the same model vintage Strat. I honestly think the Squiers beat the Fenders, because those original Fenders were NEVER broken, yet Fender has been trying to fix them ever since with all manner of modifications. Squiers are the closest I've found to the original glory that was Fender in the 50's.

13. alan01346

alan01346 Squier Talker

Dec 20, 2017
    Heath, MA USA
    I'd spend it on Bitcoin, about Christmas, and it would triple by summer. Set the original aside for next year, spend the $2000. Probably something hardtail because it stays tuned better.

14. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
  15. david.dowty

david.dowty New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Fayetteville
    I would build my own and build to my liking...
    As first thought it would be:
    Hardtail strat body hot rod red
    HSH duncan Jb/59 and fat 50's in the middle
    Roasted maple neck and fingerboard
    No face dots only side dots
    10" to 16" radius
    Stainless narrow tall frets
    Locking staggered tuners
    Babicz bridge
    Sealed cts pots
    Pure tone jack
    Zero glide nut
    Preferably with an electrosocket jack instead of strat jack plate.

That's my dream one. I've built it over and over in my head.

LefteyeBill and ToneChaser77 like this.
  16. sunnysal

sunnysal Squier Talker

Mar 2, 2016
    San Salvador
    I like the Eric Johnson Strats, they feel and sound great! I am very happy with with CV 60s but if I had the itch to blow >$1,000 that would be what I would buy

Rodiebobw and SoundDesign like this.
  17. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Change the $ to £ and I'd buy an American Performer Strat as I've never owned a US Fender and that's the only US model which comes in at bang on £1000, nothing under that, I think. Either that or I would buy a second hand US model which just felt right when I picked it up. Had that a couple of weeks ago in my local independent music store when I played a strat which was a partscaster put together by one of the customers who had died (Japanese Fender neck on an unknown strat body, 50's style pickups, played like a dream, £300), would have bought it but I really need to downscale rather than upscale but that's a thread within itself.

18. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I have that exact same strat, but it is still in its original configuration. I bought it new from GC about six years ago, and it was ~$450, so you got a good deal. If you have the original humbucker, or even the loaded pickguard from it, I'd be interested in perhaps acquiring it from you.

Regarding the ill-placed volume control, on an old Squier strat that I have, one of the tone knobs didn't work, I decided that I only need one tone knob, so I eliminated the bottom one, rewired the middle tone knob to be a master tone, and moved the tone and volume down to the bottom two holes. Then I put a low-profile kill-switch into the top hole. I never hit it with my pinkie anymore, and I HAVE A KILLSWITCH!!!

The volume placement always bugged me too. The single-tone is fine because I don't have to do quick tone blends between the pickups. Maybe losing one of the tone knobs would bother someone, but not me. The killswitch in the top hole is almost flat, and just fun as hell.

Regarding a killswitch, you can use one that opens to interrupt the audio circuit when pressed, or you can use one that closes when pressed, shunting the audio circuit to ground. Don't worry about whether it's an NO or NC switch. Get one that looks good and then determine how to wire it later.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    drewcp likes this.
  19. Christegs

Christegs New Member

Feb 4, 2020
    My first guitar was a sunburst squire in the early 90's. Then I think I got a good report card or something that was very unusual and I got the guitar that would stay with me until 2015 when half my collection was stolen. It was a Yellowish Fender Strat Deluxe Plus and I think it was $1400 back in 1994. I look from time to time to see if anyone is selling one exactly like that on ebay and I sometimes see one for around $1,000 to $1,300.

We are talking about Brushed Locking Tuners, Floyd Rose Graphite Floating Bridge that lets you change the same string when you break one. Leo Lace Sensor Pickups Red, Silver, Blue). Graphite ball bearing nut, rose wood fretboard - She looked like the one below, but it was better, fretboard was rosewood, but I kind of like maple more now on a strat. I cant find one like the one I had, case was different, the tuners were brushed locking, This is the closest I have found and its just one year older. I have strats that cost more, but I want that strat from my childhood with all the dings in it. If I ever find the person who took it I am going to ... I.. I will find it..

Or maybe I'll just go on AliExpress and buy a Chrat with a squared off neck that looks like crap, put all of the parts mentioned above on it, and call it a day

1994 fender strat deluxe.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice