If you gave Squier advice

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DUSTER, May 21, 2019.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Based on their current job listings, it looks like they do a lot of this in-house instead of outsourcing it to an agency. But, they seem to have a lot of senior level positions open right now so that could indicate a change in direction is coming and maybe nobody is managing it right now. These jobs are mostly based in Hollywood, CA so they'll have to pay a whole lot more there to get someone decent than they would elsewhere (outside of CA and NYC anyway).

2. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    It could also be nice to see more 12 neck radius in the Squier range...

drewcp likes this.
  3. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

Squier versions of the Alternate/Parallel universe models.

Also, maybe Squier would be a way to get out some concept guitars that never were, or made very brief appearances (I’m thinking the Marauder from the 60s, that appeared briefly about 7-8 years ago as a Fender Modern Player

On a similar line, Squier could be a cool way of reviving pawn shop series guitars - or something in a similar vein

4. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

Also Squier guitar kits and parts

drewcp and BlueSquirrel like this.
  5. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Or conversely 7.25" for vintage models.

Davey, -r3- and BlueSquirrel like this.
  6. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Actually, I've never tried it. Is it more comfortable?

7. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I think it has a nicer feel in the hand, but if you're used to 12+ necks, leads can feel awkward at first. The rumors of bends fretting out, I find to be overblown.

Davey likes this.
  8. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I love Squiers (and I have 40+ of them to prove that), but I don't think Squier should make "vintage correct" radius guitars (leave that for the Fender brand), but I'm quite fond of the "experimentation" idea. In fact, more than half the "vintage modified" series consisted of models that would fit that category. Now that the (similar idea) Fender Modern Player guitars are apparently no longer produced, this could be a great idea.

Still, to be commercially viable, the lineup should be as simple as possible. Looking at the success of the recent Bullet teles, and comparing the quality with the Affinity and Standard, perhaps now is the time to consolidate these three series into a single model (with many fun colours). I think the current success of the various Bullet teles is direct competition for the Affinity.

That would make a "standard", "experimental" and "classic (vibe)"-range...

Coming back to the different radiuses (and Squier parts): offering Squier after-market necks (possibly with different radiuses) could be a fun idea, but I think that would result in even more fake Fender decal guitars popping up everywhere. If Fender would do this, I would advise them to make Squier and Fender necks with completely different specs, like use a different radius for Squier than for Fender, let's say 10". That would be a slight difference from the 9.5" of most guitars and slightly closer to the 12" some guitars have. It would also make it easier to identify fake decal Squier necks/guitars. Of course this could also be accomplished in another manner, like using a totally differently shaped truss rod nut (not just metric/imperial difference). I would use allen key vs torx.

squierfire likes this.
  9. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I honestly don't see the concern over this, and I don't see an association between radius and imposter guitars. If that's your concern, AND you don't want traditional measures used, than make all Squiers 10.5" radius with a 25" scale length and 11 mm tuner holes.

I'm being ridiculous, because I think the sentiment is ridiculous. You don't design an instrument with the principal goal of making it easy to distinguish from other instruments of the same model name made by the same company. The point of a Squier Stratocaster is to make a budget guitar as close to a Fender Stratocaster as possible. If it wasn't, they'd call it something stupid, like "Starcaster". (Sorry, but I really despise those abominations.)

Anywho...I worked in various areas of identity and security for decades, and whether it's breaking into your house, computer, or selling you the something fake, there are two related realities: 1) if someone has the resources and tries hard enough, there's nothing you can do to stop it, and 2) it happens to people every day. This isn't to suggest it's not worth trying to protect yourself, but it does suggest that everyone needs to pick the point at which they feel safe but aren't ruining they're lives as they struggle to be needlessly safe--that is, a kind of safe that isn't measurably better, but consumes more of your time and resources or restricts your choices.

I think some of the things suggested above, such as reducing options from fear they might invite criminal activity, would be the kind of action that is in the needlessly safe category.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice