If you gave Squier advice

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DUSTER, May 21, 2019.

1. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
  2. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    The purist in me agrees, but...

I’m disabled with a back injury. Having extra-light weight, thin cut guitars made of light wood allow me to play much longer. I’ve a dozen guitars but I play my customized Strat HT Bullet the most because of its weight and feel.

Maybe I’d counter and say more full-sized instruments at all price points (without removing existing models). Maybe?

dbrian66, SquierTap and BlueSquirrel like this.
  3. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I only know about telecasters, but my main idea is: SIMPLIFY MODELS.
    • Affinity S/S (nothing else), top load, but full width nut (but please don't believe the Fender website if it states 40.6mm, I have only seen ONE ever that was that narrow), at the price of the current bullet, but in LIMITED colours (1 or 2 at maximum).
    • Contemporary: basic S/S, S/H, H/H tele, string through, belly cut, comfortable radius (if flatter is more modern, then use 12"), but NO matching headstock if that would raise the prices, but the HIP colours should be here.
    • Classic Vibe: 6 base models: 50s/60s/69 thinline/70's thinline/70s custom/70s deluxe
    • FSR more "experimental" models in Classic Vibe quality, available for short periods only (6 months to a few years max). Artist models should be FSR by design. I would call the FSR models "Bullet", because: they're announced, then they're fired, and then they're gone, like a bullet. In no case should a "bullet" be like one of the other regular models.
    SIMPLIFY PRICES
    There should be 3 price levels (Affinity, Contemporary and Classic Vibe/FSR). Prices should NOT vary much within each range.

SIMPLIFY QUALITY LEVELS
    There should be 2 quality levels: good (for Affinity/Contemporary) and very good (Classic Vibe/FSR)

USE "BRAND" PICKUPS
    On the pickup front, I'd go for the no-brand ceramic pickups on the Affinity, budget brand on the CV/FSR series (like Duncan Designed, or Cheaper "Fender" branded pickups), and decent Alnico pickups on the "Contemporary" models.

Why?
    • The Affinity should be a reason for beginners to buy a Squier over cheap copies. This is only possible by lowering the prices closer to the copies prices. They could add a voucher for reduction on ANY Fender amp.
    • I love the current FSR Bullet tele, but we should focus on the "contemporary tele" (the current standard should be renamed to this) it needs to be a good basic guitar. This production should be Indonesian too... If the Bullet were slightly thicker, they could market it as "contemporary".
    • The Classic Vibe is actually a great concept, leave it as is.
    • The Squier range should NOT go into direct competition with Fender models. That's why the prices between the "Contemporary Squier" should be low enough compared to the "Fender Player", and the "Squier Classic Vibe" should be cheap compared to the "Fender Classic Player".
    • I think multiple FSR "experimental" guitars could be used to test out new ideas (like the original Squier Vintage Modified and Fender Modern Player ideas)
    Remarks
    • A similar simplification exercise should be done for the Fender models as well (do we need a "Classic Player" and a "Classic Series". What's the purpose of a "Deluxe"?)
    • These three levels are easily doable for Stratocasters and Telecasters, but perhaps other models should be made in one of these levels as an FSR (like an FSR Affinity Jaguar or an FSR Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, ...)
    • But of course, these are just my musings and who am I?

4. If you gave Squier advice

Open a chain of Squier stores … North America wide. ;) Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 and so1om like this.
  5. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    The least popular suggestion: just stop it.

A Fender is a Fender. If MiMs are Fenders, then why not MIC/MII?

Just because it’s what they’ve been doing doesn’t make it good.

There already is a Chinese made Fender Telecaster. Fender acoustics are mostly made in Asia.

I bet they’d sell a ton more Classic Vibes and VMs if they had a Fender badge.

In short, make them all Fenders and do a little simplifying in the CV-Deluxe/Classic range.

dbrian66 and Taurus like this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    My opinion is the bullet is bottom of the line and the Affinity is a step up in quality. But the Bullet has a full width nut and the Affinity is small. I would expect it to the the other way around.
    I will say Bullets are awesome. The necks are awesome too.. Affinity is awesome too but I just can't use a narrow neck at the nut.

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    More of a color choice as well as pickup choices.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Stop discontinuing the coolest basses! It may take a few years for people to take a chance on new designs and styles and realize how great they are, but they don’t get the opportunity to if you only make it for 1-2 years! And experiment with more actually new ideas.
    Squier is a little better than Fender in this regard, but it’s still mostly only P, J, and PJ configurations on whatever body.

9. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2019
    Germany
    Now that's easy....

more black Squiers please

fender-big-block.jpg

or the Aerodyne Series...

aerodyne-tele--1.jpg

10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I used to have a Big Block Precision Bass like in your first pic. It was nice.

dbrian66 and Paruwi like this.
  11. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    And might I add STOP MAKING THE COOL BASSES SHORTSCALE!!!! I would love a jag bass but want it long scale. The bronco was a cool bass too but again... Short scale. Seems any new body style released besides a P or a J gets a short neck... CUT IT OUT!!

12. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I want MORE short scale basses, but I want them active, and with a native EQ/tone stack that makes them sound like the real deal.

dbrian66, DrBeGood and RoyalWe like this.
  13. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Full depth, hardtail, string through Strat with a fat neck. Please.

14. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Noooooo!!!!! Why does every bass have to be short scale!?!? All the cool new or unique ones released the last decade or more has that stupid toy neck on it. I want a real freakin bass with a long scale that is varied from the standard 2 body shapes please. You guitarist have plenty of options... Leave us bass players toys alone

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    They really should mess around with 32” scale basses, they were on to something with the Telecaster bass neck.

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I wish Squier made a Nashville Tele model. Would be really cool in the contemporary series

dbrian66, nicod98 and fattboyzz like this.
  17. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Re -edition Strats with 'NC specs.
    1000% more hard tail Strats, with a corresponding reduction in tremolo ones.
    Many many more 12" radius.
    Nuts 43mm or wider regularly.
    More HH Teles and full body HH Strats.
    More painted headstocks.
    1000% more rear routed, no pickguard models.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    While the short scale Jaguar basses with painted headstocks made a big splash, Squier also has a Jaguar bass in full or long scale. Some different finishes and regular blond wood headstocks, but they are full scale.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Squier/Jaguar-Bass-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

dbrian66, drewcp and Davey like this.
  19. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Too bad that model was discontinued. Especially the one with the tort pickguard, block inlays and stacked knobs. They could bring that back any day now please and thank you

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    I would agree with the hard tail idea.

jackdragbean and dbrian66 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice