Ideas For A Black Strat?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by SquierTap, Oct 8, 2019.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, fellers... I need some good ideas...

As some of ya know, I just picked up an 88' MIK Squier II Strat... So far, I really like it, ESPECIALLY the neck! It's up there as one of the best I've ever played... But even though these are known for havin killer necks, that's about all that's really "special" about it... The bodies are usually plywood and routed for SSS, and it has the factory one ply white pickguard, with the smaller lettering on the volume and tone knobs... Someone did upgrade the trap/crap tuners with round closed backs at some point (left all the holes, too, lol)...

I've ordered a ton of parts... New bridge, new Alnico pickups, new pots and cap, new nut, etc... But I have NO idea where I'm goin with how it's gonna LOOK! Lol...

I've never owned a maple neck Strat... So I have no idea what'll look good, lol... It's easy to just "black out" a guitar with a rosewood or dark board, lol...

Of course, I keep seein the "Gilmore" look, all black with maple board, and that looks okay... It's just a lil too common for my taste... But I almost think a black pickguard with white pup covers and knobs would look cool...

Then I think all black hardware and a purple guard would look good, lol...

You see where this is goin, right? Lol...

So, if YOU had a plain black Strat, and just about everybody HAS had one at some point, lol... What would YOU do to dress it?

And secondly; Does ANYBODY know of any websites, or apps, or anything, really, that would show you what your guitar would look like with different color pickguards on it? There IS a site for a product called "Scratch-It" pickguards, and their site has a tool where you can select your kind of guitar, then the color, then you can browse different pickguards and see how they'd look... But that's the only site that I know of... There has to be some kind of template out there or something, right? Lol...

2. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I would paint it only because there is about 20 gazillion billion trillion black stats in this world

Guitfiddlist, Wizzer, drewcp and 4 others like this.
  3. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Halo Guitars website has a cusomization tool. You can pick a strat style body and play around with it, and also download a pic your finished piece. The only thing it lacks is a good selection of pickguard colors. But if you download your finished pic, you can photoshop different colored pick guards.
    https://www.haloguitars.com/store/custom-guitars.html
    upload_2019-10-7_21-25-56.png

five teles, drewcp, SquierTap and 2 others like this.
  4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think I would paint it to, you have to be a black strat guy to like black strats..sorry man, that's me being of little help.
    There isn't imho many colours which go with black, even pastels struggle to compliment a solid black..
    I'm interested to know more about these pick guard websites/apps as they sound like a handy tool.

SquierTap, dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    im a big fan of white pearl on black ... like this:

Image 10-7-19 at 11.54 PM.jpg

Anacharsis, drewcp, SquierTap and 2 others like this.
  6. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
  7. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Black pickguard, white or cream pup covers and knobs , just like bob the builder's

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

ElRey67, fattboyzz, SquierTap and 2 others like this.
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I think everyone needs at least one black Strat in the collection! After that, start painting them! LOL.

I would go black guard with cream, or white guard with black plastic. That’s what my two black Strats are anyways.

AD061330-C5E0-4194-96BB-777EA00A00A1.jpeg 1BB1EEAC-EA1B-430E-A4E4-EF3C65CE0163.jpeg

9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Black body, black pickguard, black pg screws, black knobs, black pickup covers, black switch tip. What did I miss? Oh yeah, black bridge, black output jack.
    :)

dbrian66 and SquierTap like this.
  10. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    So in general terms , black then?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Davis Sharp, dbrian66 and SquierTap like this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    My three black/maple instruments (only the Strat remains).
    4D28070C-AFCE-48F8-BE12-07EE563B7768.jpeg B6B2CBE0-C7F6-459B-B5E4-E08C2F8808F8.jpeg DECBC994-8828-4E5E-A70F-C0A8E9CDA6C2.jpeg

12. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
  13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    A couple of them are allowed to have non-black parts. But, in general, black. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SquierTap, brians and dbrian66 like this.
  14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Tort or pearloid will give it character to go with the maple.

I'd do a Jon Gilmour Srat if you don't have one :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    The new black jackplate goes on today, but here's my thoughts on the black strat idea...not a maple model unfortunately, but has the black headstock instead. And no..not a cowboys fan...my late mother's idea of an Xmas gag gift a few years before she passed... 20191002_122408.jpg

16. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I think the only pickguard choice for a black Strat with maple neck is a 50s style 8 hole 1 ply thin pickguard.

Here's an editor but it doesn't show 3 ply black pickguards well and it's kind of tedious....

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/virtual-guitars/

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I like that a lot!

SquierTap likes this.
  18. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    0403191658.jpg
    Black on black on black SSS & HH 20170425_105053.jpg
    White pearl on black, aged white covers

94 NC Bullet Series front.JPG

Black with gray p/g. Hand painted on it when I got the guitar. Decent in pics but not so much in person. Long gone but good look.

97 Squier Affiniyu Strat body front 007.JPG
    Black with red torty. Damaged p/g also long replaced but another good look.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice