I'd like your advice on a new guitar.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by CountStratula, Mar 30, 2020.

1. CountStratula

CountStratula Squier Talker

Feb 25, 2020
    So I am thinking of adding a new axe to the collection. I currently have a 1997 MIM Squier, a highly modded Yamaha 302s Nash Tele (needs some TLC to get playing again), a Fender Alternate Reality Powercaster and a Michael Kelly 53DB with GFS Classic II HB's.

A few months back I came across a Luthier on fleabay selling a Hardtail Strat with a swamp ash body, Guitar Madness 62z pickups, Gotoh locking tuners, maple neck and custom Tried and Tried oil finish that he built/setup and I was very interested in it. Well, it sold a few minutes after I put in an offer for it. I contacted him and he said he'd build one just like it for me for the same price, but need to wait until spring to paint the body. That was fine with me as I had plenty of instruments to play.

Well in the mean time I have been really interested in the Vintage V6 Icon HSS and Thomas Blug Signature Strats. They sound so good it easily allows me to get past the "relic"/distressed look of the paint job.

So my dilemma is, should I go with the custom made Hard Tail strat that has a nice thin finish but cheap good sounding pickups (GM 62z's) or a Vintage brand Icon or Signature strat that sounds great but has a less than ideal paint job?

I would really like to have a guitar withOUT a thick poly finish on it. I hear that without the thick polyurethane finish that the guitar feels more "alive" and it makes the playing experience more visceral. That sounds quite appealing to me.

I will post a pic of the one that sold along with the others I am interested in.

So which should I go with?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187146227@N05/49607355523/in/dateposted-public

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  2. lonestay

lonestay Squier Talker

Nov 8, 2019
    Bath
    just buy one thats my advice !!

3. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    It sounds to me personally that you have at least some commitment to the luthier.

I have no use for fake relicing for posers

In guitars, you have to decide what you are satisfied with. There will aways be another guitar that's interesting. That's why I mostly stick with NC's. They may not be the absolute best ever made by Squier, (although they are head and sholders above many contemporary and later Squier models ) but they are plenty for me.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I agree with @jeffam on the commitment. You can always upgrade the pickups on the custom-made Strat, if that's what's holding you back. Ask the builder if he will install pickups that you send to him.

I am also not a fan of the reliced look.

5. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I had a Thomas Blug signature guitar from them but it wasn't that crazy colored one. I liked it even though the original electronics had been removed.

drewcp, dbrian66 and CountStratula like this.
  6. CountStratula

Feb 25, 2020
    I talked with the guy two days ago and I can assure everyone that he hasn't started work on it at all, the body hasn't been painted or anything at this point. He told me he would need some lead time before he could start on it because he is pretty backed up with work at the moment. We have only talked about it, no commitments have been made, no money has changed hands no work has been started as of yet on the custom strat.

drewcp, Davis Sharp and dbrian66 like this.
  7. CountStratula

Feb 25, 2020
    While I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply, I asked for your guys advice on which of these three I should purchase.

I am more interested in the tone, feel and user experience of the guitar than on the looks of it's paint job.

The relic doesn't really bother me too much. Its not my favorite or anything or even my second choice BUT to me its thinner finish seems better than a piece of wood encased in thick plastic...I have tried to find nitro finished guitars but all I seem to find are either extremely expensive but beautiful (mjt/real life relics) or still pretty pricey and relic-ed (Eden) ...

The choices as it seems to me in this scenario are:

Two factory made guitars that sound really good and have garnered very good reviews both in online print and in many videos reviews but might not have the prettiest body
    OR
    A hard tail strat built by a Luthier which has a cool finish with the wood grain showing and very well set up, but I have no idea what it might sound like....

I am not trying to come off as a jerk here but I am just trying to be clear on what I am asking. There is a difference in giving an opinion and giving advice.

Again I would like to thank you for your replies thus far

Davis Sharp likes this.
  8. CountStratula

Feb 25, 2020
    I don't really think these are for posers only. Also, there seem to be a lot of businesses making relic-ed guitars so there would have to be more than just posers buying them right?
    Reverb, eBay, and GFS as well as other places are full of relic-ed guitars. I see them being bought alot as well. It's not like they are all just sitting there and no one is buying them.

9. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    Ohio
    I can’t point you one way or the other, as I’ve had no experience with any of these, and from where I sit they all seem to be fine instruments, but I do have a question since you said you spoke with the luthier recently and he mentioned being backed up: he first said he could have your guitar ready in spring, it’s now spring... did he give you any estimate on a lead time?

If you’re looking for something sooner rather than later, you may be better off walking on his deal. But since you’ve already waited 2-3 months on this guitar, are you willing to wait a few more for it?

May not be be the answer you were hoping for, but it may be something to consider as you’re making your decision about what you REALLY want.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Well, if someone built one for you and you back out of the deal - I'd say that's not kosher....

drewcp and Eddie like this.
  11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I also have no experience with any of these guitars, so I can’t give advice based on what they sound like. I can say that I refinish Squier bodies that have thick poly finishes. I strip them back to bare wood and put a much thinner coat of paint on them and they do seem to be “more alive”. Both of my Gibson’s with nitro finishes feel the same way. But this is a much debated topic on the internet, and I am far from a good player, so take that for what it is. :)

If you have never heard or played any of these guitars, than it will be a gamble no matter which one you buy. It may or may not be the guitar that your looking for. If the custom made guitar is in the same price range as the others, than it will be the biggest gamble. You will never get anywhere close to your money back if you try to sell it. But if it is considerably less, it might be worth rolling the dice!

12. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Was there just a verbal agreement on the new build? Did you leave a deposit?

If he sold the other one really quickly, he'll probably be able to sell this one real quickly. BUT, backing out of a verbal deal is bad karma.

13. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    He said that the guitar has not been started yet. I initially felt the same as you, but the way I understand it, the luthier is not at all invested in the project yet.

14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA

CountStratula and Eddie like this.
  15. CountStratula

Feb 25, 2020
    How did it compare with something like a Fender Mexican Standard?

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Well... I like stuff talented individuals make, especially when made personally for me. Quick and very easy decision for me - I'd go with one built by the luthier and not look back. Just how I roll. YMMV.

CountStratula and dbrian66 like this.
  17. CountStratula

Feb 25, 2020
    Thanks for your reply. Those are tough questions. I'll try to answer as best as I can.

The builder lives in Montana. When he and I first spoke he needed to wait until spring because it was too cold to paint, as it wouldn't cure properly.
    I don't know exactly how long he'll need to be ready I am assuming a couple of weeks. I'm not in any real need for it at the moment as I have instruments that I like and play regularly. Am I willing to wait? Hmmm that's tough because my GAS is strong but I could probably wait if it meant having a badass axe at the end of it.
    I think the guitar will be awesome but I don't know for sure. I have never played a string through hardtail strat before only Tele's. I love the idea of it, no worries about the trem, tuning is super stable, more resonance. I feel like maybe the body wood is doing more to create the tone of the guitar.

I'd like for whichever one I get to become the instrument I reach for regularly as I love the strat sound and feel but my current strat doesn't evoke excitement in me when I go to play it like some of my other rigs do.

I really appreciate your questions as they are very helpful.

GEECEE, Forum Guest and dbrian66 like this.
  18. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I was in your same dilemma a while back. I do believe thin finish nitro guitars are more resonant. To me they just feel better and more alive than poly guitars. Some will argue that it doesn’t matter because the pickups are where the tone is at, etc etc. I believe it’s not just one thing, you can’t look at just one aspect and say, oh that’s the reason. You have the look at the guitar as a whole and decide. For me I love nitro, I love relic. Doesn’t have to go hand in hand. I’m not a poser. Gee at least I don’t think I am. I play in a band, I haul my gear, I play onstage, I rehearse, I record music, release music, share my music. But if I play a relic guitar, I’m a poser? Hahah! Ok, whatever.

19. CountStratula

Feb 25, 2020
    Thanks for the advice. You make a great point. I appreciate that and will definitely take that into consideration.

20. CountStratula

Feb 25, 2020
    Thanks for replying. I am glad to hear that I'm not alone on this. Your confirmation about the thinner finish is awesome. Like I said before I am neither here nor there on relic as long as it isn't too over the top. Like you said and I totally agree, it's more about the overall tone of the guitar and the user experience in playing it that matters most.
    I think my ideal finish would be something like this MJT nitro sunburst only with an HSS so I could put a chrome covered HB in the bridge.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187146227@N05/49716983592/in/dateposted-public/

Attached Files:

GEECEE, dbrian66 and surfrodguitar like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice