I wanna try flatwounds on the Mustang. Which brands, what gauges, and material do you suggest & why?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by optofonik, Mar 14, 2019.

1. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Nut

May 18, 2016
    Somewhere, Wonderful
    I have flats on my Dana Longhorn bass and they're a perfect fit but I don't have flats on any of my guitars. It's high time I tried them out and the Mustang is a perfect candidate (for no particular reason, actually).

Any suggestions about brand, gauge, material and why you like what you like would be greatly appreciated.

What I know from the Dano bass is that they feel completely different and roll off the highs a bit.

Big tuna likes this.
  2. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Diadario have been my favorite so far. I use 11-50's you might want heavier though. I think i used 13's on my mustang.

Caddy and optofonik like this.
  3. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I have used the D'Adarrio half round 11's on my Jag. More flats than half rounds, IMHO. EHR370. Liked them pretty well. Just a bit brighter and more flexible than true flats.

optofonik and Big tuna like this.
  4. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I use D’Addario Chromes (11-50) on mine, but I might try the 10-48s next string change. They just feel great to me and last much longer than any other non coated string I’ve tried.
    The sound is not a drastic mellowing to my ears, but it’s there. More so on the bass side.

optofonik likes this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Curt Mangan has flatwounds in sizes that other companies don't offer, like 9-42 and 10-46 with unwound G strings. They ain't cheap though.

optofonik and wickedtools like this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    I hate it when my G-string comes unwound.

optofonik likes this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Better unwound than wound!

optofonik likes this.
  8. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Nut

May 18, 2016
    Somewhere, Wonderful
    Well the GC near me had D'Adarrio XL Jazz Lights 11-50 so I'll start with these. GC really didn't have a lot of flatwound strings; disappointing.

Big tuna likes this.
  9. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Flatwound strings are not popular with most who like bending strings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice