I think I am officially "done" w/ Weezer!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Jan 25, 2019.

1. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    For me, the band that does excellent covers and interpretations and mash ups would be Umphrey's McGee. Which.. they did Aftrica long before Weezer…. Weezer is a cover cover band, lol

2. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Well after their Africa version which I am not super stoked on, the original is much more satisfying to listen to, their record label said, “u guys are hot again, let’s do a album of covers” and here we are talking about them, now some of us will go into their back catalog and jam to the oldies(sweater song, say it ain’t so, the whole record is gold!).

That’s what I’m gonna do!

Boom! instant uptick in Weezeer streams! And all they had to do was spend 8 hours in the studio recording covers! Genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth Mountain and IronSchef like this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I may or may not like a cover version. But I don't care for a note-for-note duplication in a recorded version. I'll make exceptions for bar bands, tribute bands, and wedding bands, where the expectation is that the audience recognizes and enjoys the songs. But established artists, who have lost of resources at their disposal, should bring some originality to a cover version. I get what @so1om is saying about the technical difficulty of cloning a song, but it seems like an awful lot of energy to expend to get a completely expected result. :)

I like a lot of Leo's covers. He doesn't take himself seriously. I saw him on an Anderton's, "The Captain meets..." video and he seemed pretty shy, unlike in his videos.

4. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I don't care for their style of music. Ive heard them on the car radio, which I listen to so i can hear what people are listening to now. To me Metallica is pop.

5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    That sure wouldn't work on me. I absolutely hate the sound of any bit of OD or distortion. Can't turn that type of music off quick enough.

6. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Weezer have had four platinum albums and multiple charted songs and albums, right up to as recently as last year.

Disappointment with their releases may be on their radar but I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

7. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    I know everything is subjective and people like what they like but I am so tired of drop tunings and growled vocals. "Lets get an 8 string guitar but only play the top three strings while growling unintelligibly". And this is coming from someone that grew up on rock and metal from the 70's and 80's so I'm far from a metal hater.

Plus did they have Weird Al in their video cover? I think NOT sir :D

8. mbroadus

mbroadus Squier-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    jax

Haven't listened to the new one yet, but we can all agree this old song kicks all kind of ass.

Just a group of nerds having fun!

9. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

It's about the 'tude, dude!

Uhmm... yeah...

tenor.png

10. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    If Jimi Hendrix wasn't a leap from the Monkees, I don't know what was.

11. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I’m in the camp of doing a cover that has your own spin on it. Otherwise, why not just listen to the original? So many great songs in history that were covers but the band doing the covering makes it basically a new song. A lot of famous covers are not even known to be a cover. I can’t imagine Jimi doing watchtower acoustically and note for note like Dylan.
    I saw a band in Eugene OR in 2010 called Quick and Easy Boys and they did a cover of Bowie’s Moonage Daydream. That song has always been a personal favorite but when they performed it, it was downright amazing. So I got to enjoy this song in 2 different ways.
    Another great cover while I’m on this....Foo Fighters Baker Street. Damn good!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  12. I don't do the Weezer … just the Geezer :D

Cheers, Barrie.

ElRey67, duzie and IronSchef like this.
  13. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    That's their best album...... IMHO.

...making friends
    with the Soil! :D

14. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    What's up w all the ''Africa" covers the past year or so? This is at least the 3rd or 4th cover to come out during that time. I think the first one I heard about WAS a black metal band. Which at the time I thought was a funny thing- but then, it was ON!

15. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

I'm of two minds regaurding covers, I generally loathe them and much prefer the originals but now and then a cover comes along that really gets my juices flowing:

While I liked the original I found that Bowies vocals in that version had a dry, kind of strained quality to them(I later found out that was due to a trick used in recording the song) and it left me wanting in a way with the original. The Wallflowers version was to me a simpler, distilled version of the same song and that simplicity gave it a kind cache that Bowies lacked.

IronSchef and Pat V. like this.
  16. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Who wants to listen to a cover that sounds like the original?! Might as well just listen to the original!

ElRey67, IronSchef and Afrika61 like this.
  17. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

18. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I wouldn't know a Weezer song if I heard one.

ElRey67 likes this.
  19. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    I found it amusing that SNL was poking fun at Weezer. The last time I saw that show was around the same time I last heard Weezer (90's). From the looks of it, I haven't missed much from either of them.

ElRey67 and IronSchef like this.
  20. Armada50

Armada50 Squier Talker

Jan 26, 2019
    Texas USA
    I don't play Weezer, their chords are a waste of time. Id'e rather strum full chords & miss one or two than play, that junk.

ElRey67 and IronSchef like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice