I think I am officially "done" w/ Weezer!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Jan 25, 2019.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I don't think I can do it anymore - the first couple of albums by this band were so cool -- and the last few have been pretty disappointing. This week they released the "Teal" album, ALL covers.

This cover of "Sweet Dreams" is the proverbial "straw" for me - such a waste of disk space. No imagination at all, exactly note for note like the original -- yuk!!

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Not a fan.

Leo does a much better version of Africa. :)

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    That's how a cover should be done! Faithful to the original! Not this weird experimental make it your own crap, that's a disservice and disrespectful to the original artist.

IronSchef likes this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Agreed and disagreed. I don't mind a new artist's rendition of an old classic. Nothing wrong with making it your own. Just don't change the original concept too far to the outfield.

Steve Lukather would have been proud of Leo's version of Africa. Weazer's? Maybe not.

5. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I disagree, to me that heavy of a level of hard rock or metal is not even music.....it's just soulless noise.....never been a fan.....

6. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I'll be the voice of dissent. I think the whole album is great.

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    interesting take on this - my opinion is the polar opposite tho ... I think Covers like Jimi's "Watchtower", or Derek and the Dominoes "Little Wing", or even Marylin Manson's "Sweet Dreams" are the essence of great covers. Why do it exactly like the original? :)

8. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Never been big into Weezer, too pop for my taste...this only confirms my feelings. Scrubs....I mean really....Somebody must have bills to pay.

9. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    SEE I love pop! Maybe that's the difference. I still listen to 80s Madonna etc every day.....

10. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Definitely a difference!

Kenneth Mountain and IronSchef like this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Come on GM. We gotta hang out. We'll blast some old school Metallica and you'll be an instant fan.

I had a buddy who absolutely hated Black/Death Metal. Then I had him listen to this and he was instantly hooked:

12. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Yep... Awesome musician.. I liked his guests on that track too...

13. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I hate all S&G covers except this one:

14. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I just can't do it, it makes me feel lots of anxiety and uncomfortable feelings.....I prefer peaceful soft rock.....and pop....can't stand cookie monster vocals either.....tried listening and had to stop after less than 90 seconds .

15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    No, no. The purpose is to release the anger, stress, and frustration. That's why 80's metalhead kids grew up to be such well adjusted adults. They had a way to release their teenage angst.

16. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I don't have any anger or frustration in my life .....maybe that's it? lol

17. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I'm with you GM, for me its all about the melody. Be it classic Metallica or Megadeth, KISS or Def Leppard, Eric Clapton, Journey or Debbie Gibson...the melody is key. This buzzsaw droning chord/screaming combo does nothing for me. To each their own, but I can't stand it.

18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I will say this, being from Chicago where there seems to be a huge contingent of Weezer fans for some reason. They DO NOT live up to the hype that people have about them. They are almost OK at best -and that's with their own music.

Covers.. This is interesting for me. I've played in cover bands for many many years but the last 10-12 have been dedicated to original bands. It takes MORE work to get a cover done right than to create your own. In fact the last 3 bands i have been in (which span 15 years) I don't think we could have had a set of covers. Mutually we didn't know any songs we could cover that we all knew. The band I'm in now, we have 3 songs that would be covers, we pull them out once in a while, usually for a line check, maybe for a fun second to last song of our set. Wishing Well, Blackfoot version. Sail Away, Deep Purple and Goddo's Sweet Thing.

Tribute bands are huge in Chicago. Thanks, I'll pass on playing and seeing them. Cover bands, I like them for a July 4th fest, sitting in the park kinda thing. Or maybe a Saturday night and we happen in a bar in the suburbs.. That's fun.

Would I play in one again? Maybe an Allman Bros/style band. Which.. If you are going to do a cover, I've always liked how The ABB, Santana, and many others -they take the song to a whole other place and world. It's not a note for note. That's creativity.

Short version: I'm not done with Weezer because I never started... Thankfully. :D

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Blue and Pinkerton are all that matter to me (very much so). I know I'm not alone in this (see SNL skit). I took my kids to their first concert, it was Weezer, mainly because that was what they knew about and liked, for some reason :D. That's about it, stopped caring what they do a very long time ago, apart from the occasional dip in.

20. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    They are having a blast doing it too !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice