I really want to like the little mustang amp

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by brodg68, Jun 14, 2019.

1. brodg68

brodg68 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    So I picked up a used Mustang 1 v.2 off the local marketplace for $4o. Great shape nice little amp.

- With all the strats from bullet with ceramics, bullet with alnico 2 guitar madness, american 94 with god know what - it sounds great!

- with a humbucker equiped - 2011 epiphone dot, 84 les paul, 2017 gretsch streamline - it is way overdriven on the input. Yup turn down the volume on the guitar, mess with pedals, .... just never get the good clean tone I like. Even on the "British 60s' that looks like a VOX.

Here is the real rub - Hot Rod Deluxe - humbuckers on input 2 sound great. My go to little amp has been a champion 20, those same humbuckers, with no change on volume or tone setting on the guitar, sound great. Update the software, fiddle with fuse, adjust knobs...try again...sigh.

I really want to like the little mustang, nice sounding effects, sounds great with single coils....but I think it is going to find a new home.

Worth $40? Absolutely. Better than the Champion 20 for me? I don't think so. Could I add an input two with the appropriate resistance and buffer amp? Probably have those skills and parts. I know there are people that love the mustang amps and I probably would too if I hadn't gone with the champ 2 years ago.

But then again - I am one of those people who isn't really sure the last time they used the channel select on ye old hot rod deluxe.

take care and thanks for listening squier talkers
    scottr

2. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    $40 is a great deal!

I love the Champion 20. Underated imo. I think people dismiss them because they are small and inexpensive.

Mustang 1 is great with Fuse.

Don’t forget your mid adjustment by using the treble and holding down tap. ( I think... don’t quote me but there is a method)

Can you run both amps together with an A/B?

If given the choice of either one , I’d take the Champion.

Kenneth Mountain and BeepBoop like this.
  3. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I hated my mustang till I (a) downloaded the fuse software (fuse.fender.com) and (b) learned to sit and tinker. You can download all kinds of presets for it, from Buddy Holly clean to Metallica crunch, and modify those to your taste using the fuse software.

I still have a hard time getting a good distorted sound that doesnt sound muffled. Also, be sure to check the "fx settings" box when you import a new preset, otherwise you miss out on a lot of the sound setting. I have my Marshall for those hard rock sounds.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I agree.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I'm in the Champion camp. So I sold my Mustang and eventually upgraded the Champion's speaker. The person who bought the Mustang really enjoyed it. So win-win.

The nice thing is that each is a really good, affordable home amp for each of the amp camps.

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and BeepBoop like this.
  6. brodg68

brodg68 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2017
    NC

Curious which speaker you put in the Champion 20? I have been debating that for a while then I talk myself into building a box that holds a 12"....then I think why not just add an extension cab and put a 1/4 on the exiting wirining......

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and BeepBoop like this.
  7. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    I LOVE the Champion 20. Its what I use 90% of the time. I play my valve jr occasionally, but not nearly as much. I ran the champion 20 to a 1 x 12 with a greenback clone once. It did indeed sound better, but I dont mind the stock 8". Its the perfect lil package imo.

The stock speaker looks remarkably similar to the Celestion 8-15.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    It is rather remarkable these amps, new, cost $99 and $119. Wow.

Here's a video review posted previously ... This guy loves the Fender Campion 20 and articulates his reasoning too... And all the amp's he's owned previously ...
    And how he upgraded the speaker.
    Interesting video.
    And my use of ellipses...

--

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  9. brodg68

brodg68 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    Thanks for all the replies - I think I am going to give it another week of fiddling ...including adding a voltage divider to see if a second jack would be worth the effort. The presets in fuse is one of the things that makes me want to hang on to it.
    I have always thought the stock speaker look a LOT like the "eitht 15". What is comforting is to know other people are in the same boat. I think I paid close to the same price for my first guitar amp in the early eighties - one of those terrible little gorilla amps.

10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I think all the Champion series are underrated.

11. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Actually it is hold down the exit button and use the treble pot to adjust mids.

12. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    Ah! You quoted me!
    ;)

13. JVjunky

JVjunky Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Never tried my Mustang I v2 with HB's, but it makes my Strats sound awesome when using Fuse and some of the presets available from the forum community.

Gip111, SoleilSF and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Jensen C8R8. I bought it because it's cheaper than a Celestion or Eminence. An external cab would sound good too.

SoleilSF and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. brodg68

brodg68 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    Thanks - the guy in the videos that solielSF posted uses a PA speaker that is about that same price but has a huge magnet.

SoleilSF, Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  16. brodg68

brodg68 Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    So I have given the mustang a few weeks and think it just isn't for me. I have yet to find the clean sound that makes me go - 'wow' . A lot of neat effects in there, a lot of folks had great suggestions. I spent over 20 years with one setup - american tele, a hot rod deluxe, and one cable that were with me my whole time in the army. That is obviously not something I look for anyone to feel bad for me - just likely shaped what I like in clean tone. We're all different, it was a fun experiment, but time for someone else to get a great deal.

SoleilSF and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I just can’t stand the I/II INTERFACE (old man going color confused/blind. The III is the ticket, especially, because you don’t need a computer to deep edit the presets. I’ve made some great presets for HH Guitars with my III, and even with the Mustang GT. Volume does jump on many presets, but you need to remove the effects/pedals for HH, especially the noise gate, and tweak the pre-amp, or overdrive controls if the preset has one.
    I love my MIII, and even though I have a GT 40, I did try the GT100, returned it... and then went out and promptly bought a used III w/switches as a backup.

Kenneth Mountain and SoleilSF like this.
  18. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I did this upgrade - it was worth it ! but I had a used Champ 20 ( 60 ) and the new speaker 50 - it's a little darker than stock but handles louder volumes better. I snagged a Eminence alpha 8 off CL for 30 - I put it in a line 6 cab and I'm running it from my VCXD next to the champ 20 . I think I'm going to mount it in the VCXD unless I find something better or 4 ohm's.

I love these little amps ! lol

SoleilSF and brodg68 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice