I now have a chance to put something right...

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by sooper8, Apr 14, 2018.

1. sooper8

sooper8 Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2012
    UK
    I play the guitar and have done for a long time, but got into a bad habit of never playing/practising with a metronome or beat. The result is that I am very sloppy and struggle a bit when I do play along with others or when I record.

I have just taken up playing the piano, and surprisingly , after the first couple of weeks am really progressing and think that my sparse guitar theory must have sunk in deeper than I knew.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to say that I am practising with a beat/click/tracks most of the time to prevent me being sloppy on the timing. It's a tricky and I lapse back to freestyle noodling now and again as it is so relaxing. But I am aiming not to make the mistake I made on guitar of being lazy instead of structured practise.

If you could go back and learn an instrument, what thing would you do different second time around?

ElRey67, dbrian66 and Undone like this.
  2. Undone

Undone Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    Virginia
    I would have spent more time studying chord structure than scales and modes. Just my experience. So many two and three note vamps out there!

squierplayer, ElRey67 and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    It's interesting that you mentioned piano. I studied classical piano for ten years when I was in 2nd through 12th grades. Later when learning Guitar, and even Morse Code, timing was second nature to me. I was talking to another ham via Morse Code once, at a fairly high speed, and he asked if I was a musician. He said he was, and that I was playing the rests perfectly, going on to say that when he hears good timing, the guy sending it is usually a musician.

ElRey67, dbrian66 and Undone like this.
  4. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Chord inversions and notes on a fretboard. Was in all-state choir in school and can sight read and sing it all day long. Finding the notes on a fretboard, that’s a different animal.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    squierplayer, ElRey67 and dbrian66 like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Music theory and how to read music.

squierplayer and ElRey67 like this.
  6. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    All of the above. I wish my parents would have steered me to piano or guitar or something musical. But I was a true artist as a kid. So I know they nurtured that with me. I drew and painted everywhere. Inside of closets, were 3 blank canvases for me. If you opened a closet in my house, you'd likely find a mural done in crayon and paint....like a huge BatMan or a football player or a Kiss member.
    But I digress.
    I would have liked to learn piano or guitar as a kid.

Triple Jim likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    My ancient RP100 has 30 drum loops. I sometimes put one on just for timing.

ElRey67 likes this.
  8. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Meister

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    I struggle with timing as well my weakest point. I try and learn songs now with the backing track or along with the orignal.

ElRey67 likes this.