I hate PT Cruisers!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Aug 27, 2019.

1. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    They have transmission problems as well.

2. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Best advice I could give you...trade it in on a something more reliable. Nothing more frustrating than a lemon. Dealing with that with a Hyundai sonata for the last six years...not worth the headache. Its finally paid off so it's time in my driveway is limited. I bought a 97 Chevy 2500 rolling chassis for $600 and am dropping a 68 350 in it. No computer bullcrud to deal with, less to go wrong and anything that does I can fix it, it will be paid off from the get go, and I'm not putting a friggin dime in the pocket of a corrupt auto manufacturer. Screw them all, I'll pave my own way.

3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    My Mom has always hated those, lol... She says, "They look just like an old panel truck! If that ain't what 'PT' stands for, it should be!"

But I've heard a ton of people say they're plagued with a lotta problems...

4. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Good luck, hope it gets working soon

5. MinorKey

MinorKey Squier-Nut

Jun 14, 2012
    Darlington UK
    Ugly darn things, thankfully no longer made

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    When these very first came out I rented one and drove it fro Washington DC to western Maryland for a week of training. EVERY time I stopped for gas or anything else I got asked "what is THAT?" People went nuts for them.

7. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    Intermittent draws can be a pain to track down. Get your hands on a clamp-on DC current probe. Clip it over the battery cable then pull fuses one-by-one until the draw stops. If the draw is not present when you start, then get in the car and flip every switch you can find until the draw shows up.

Helped a friend recently, battery would always die when the wife drove it, but never when the husband drove it. Took three days with the DC current probe and switch-flip-method to find that it was the door lock switch. The switch was not releasing after locking the doors and the draw from the relay was killing the battery. The husband always locked the door manually rather than using the switch which is why it never died on him. Simple fix. Certainly no reason to trade the car in.

8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Something in my PT is draining my battery also - I have to carry a jump pack - I'm getting a new battery for Christmas - something hearty - lol

9. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I liked mine. Had no more problems than any other car I owned. My oldest daughter called it an old mans car.Guilty as charged.

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and Davey like this.
  10. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Heh, my PT cruiser GT Turbo has 220 HP and a slapstick auto tranny, nothing under powered about it. I could complain about a few things but power is certainly NOT one of them.
    I stopped having problems with mine when I stopped using the dealership's shop.
    A peanut of a battery.

11. Kenneth Mountain

I like station wagons with stick shifts if you can find them ! my kids give me crap !

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Love 'em or hate 'em, I give the then Chrysler company kudos for giving "different" a try.

Now that I'm an 'old man' I drive a Nissan Altima. 7 years old and apart from changing the oil, adding gas and 6 years in replacing the battery it has needed absolutely nothing.

Fact is its a good car and a nice one. But I miss my old Saabs and 'Zukes, Same old, same old is just, well,
    the same old thing.

Oh, love my `77 Fiat too!

-don

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and Davey like this.
  13. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    My Toyota Camry is safe and reliable.I just have trouble finding it in a parking lot.

14. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I've always thought PT Cruisers were cool looking. I guess I'm glad I've never owned one.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    "Love 'em or hate 'em, I give the then Chrysler company kudos for giving "different" a try."

Actually, Chrysler failed miserably with the demographic they were aiming at. They were designed for young people, but twenty-somethings HATED them. Fortunately the 50+ crowd LOVED them and bought tons of them. I quite liked them myself. I remember taking my friend for a ride and her 6'2" son sat in the back comfortably. The rentals I had (black one and white one) also had the optional fold out picnic table.

[​IMG]

I also like the Dream model they had in burnt orange.

[​IMG]

16. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    So, I don't actually know you, think I might have seen a pic of you around here somewhere once. But, you mentioning that you have a PT Cruiser made me think of the old Odd Rods bubblegum cards!
    0268ce07ab0649ca1bc7d62b94913536.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  17. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I think he just called you old Ken!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  18. Rat cam 68

Rat cam 68 Squier-Meister

Mar 12, 2018
    Mooresville,In
    I definitely would check the ground cable and all ground wires

19. Kenneth Mountain

The guy at the interstate shop told me all the Chryslers corrode the ground pole on the battery ? it could use new battery cables - auto labor is so high - I use to do all my maintenance - not in the winter lol.

20. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Come on Ken, you Western NY folks are supposed to be pros at dealing with snow and cold. Besides it is not officially winter yet.

drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice