I Found One Of Those Guitars

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Ahnlaashock, May 13, 2017.

1. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Nice step, and it really did look like nice work.
    The full Stratocaster with the SE added so there is no confusion is a very nice touch.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. skypeace

skypeace Squier-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    Connecticut
    Congrats on your find. I thought I would be doing a whole lot of upgrades to mine quite immediately, but I am taking it slow as the SE has peculiarities that make upgrades closer to working on a MIM standard. I appreciate the hefty body and neck, mine as an excellently low action, and with Fender Original Bullets 3150xl .009-.040 Extra light pure nickel strings she plays like butter. I have just installed the low roller string trees and I am waiting on a Black Tusq XL nut to come tomorrow.

I am enjoying playing her and learning about her idiosyncrasies. Fender has some smart marketers because after the SE I really have my eyes on a MIM Deluxe which is on my wish list. Never thought I would covet a Fender but the SE takes you there. Enjoy yours, take your time and smell the roses. I heard they smell like Boo, Boo, Boo! :cool:

Kenneth Mountain and Ahnlaashock like this.
  3. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
  4. That is a FINE looking neck and in over all very good condition. A great mod platform. Are you thinking of buying this piece ?

Cheers, Barrie.

5. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Guitar fund is empty.
    However, I have a couple of little tube amps, and have started the discussion. If it wasn't a mate for the one i just bought, I would not go that high.
    The two of them would look very nice together I think, and if it plays as nice as the one I have, his ad is even understandable.
    Still, I paid $40 for the other one, and i hate to pay full price for anything
    I am still trying to find something that explains a full sized six screw traditional bridge strat in 2000. The Affinity is the closest in the catalog.
    Did the early Affinity have a lined truss access?

6. wade-19

wade-19 Squier-Meister

Jan 26, 2015
    St.Louis
    I'd sell you the burst in my avatar for $100. Not a mark on it . I plastic was still on the pickguard and pickups when I received it .

Ahnlaashock and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    There seems to be a rash of 2000 CAE's lately - the necks I been seeing are off the chain and worth 100.00 near Birddog quality ! stunning ! I'm in the middle of a double black upgrade on my 00 CAE - The guitar was incredible stock - hard to make better !

Ahnlaashock and nobucks like this.
  8. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Well, the conversation has stalled.
    The person thought I was offering to trade a Blues Jr., not a Valve Junior. They were "thinking" about the Blues Jr!
    I told them the truth about what they have, why I want it, and what I was willing to trade for it.
    I have not heard back since.
    It isn't just the CAE 00's that sometimes have those necks on them. I have seen several SE's that had very nice necks from a wide spread of time. My first was an 2011 I think, and the entire neck is made of tiny tight Birdseye maple. It almost begs that you strip it and do something to make the grain stand out before throwing something clear with a gold tint over that.
    I have a perfect quartersawn neck that came off a $129 every day price strat. They are out there if you are looking. If you price a 90 degree quartersawn neck, the rest of the guitar was free basically.

I thought that one was pretty, but if you come looking to trade for a Blues Junior, you are going to have to bring a stack of SE's with you, pretty or not.
    Still, The one I have is just flat out a nice guitar.

2011 Squier SE headstock.

[​IMG]

Cheap quartersawn neck.

[​IMG]

They are out there, but you have to buy them when you find them. They don't hang on the wall long.

9. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I have one from a 51 - incredible !

Ahnlaashock likes this.
  10. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Well, it appears that if I don't want to trade a Blues Junior for it, and i know it is a strat pack guitar, they don't want to talk to me anymore!
    Sorry to hear that. That neck looked pretty nice, but I am sitting here with the E9 that has the Mariposas, the CAE00, and a VM 70's in the stands this morning. First time the strats have been in control in a while. Three Squiers, and you could pick up any of the three and walk out on stage with it.
    It was pretty, but it isn't like I actually need another strat!

11. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    As much as I love SE's - there isn't one worth a Blue's Jr. - unrealistic !

Jaymo and Ahnlaashock like this.
  12. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Like i said, we would have to be discussing a stack of SE's!
    I offered choice of five watt tube heads that sell regularly for $100 or so. That wasn't good enough.
    Oh well.
    I will be looking at the CAE 00 guitars closely from now on, or until I find the one I have to be a fluke. Figure in the neck doesn't make one play better.

13. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I read the the grain we all love in maple - indicates a genetic problem in the wood ? It looks beautiful though - I wonder what this person thinks he has ?

Ahnlaashock likes this.
  14. Jaymo

Jaymo Squier-Meister

Mar 11, 2017
    GA
    Apparently, he thinks he has an opportunity to screw someone else out of a Blues Junior.

15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    It was pretty, and I was already seeing a set of pickups with black covers to match the E-9.

16. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    It might be innocent - maybe someone told him he has a VM or CV ? What am I saying ? Even that is a total stretch ?

17. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I suspect they have one that plays like the one I have, and an amp that agrees with the pickups, like I have.
    I have an E-9 with aftermarket pickups, a VM 70's, and the CAE SE in the stands right now, and because of how well it gets along with the Studio Pro, the SE is seeing more time than the other two combined.
    I have to peek when I change strings to see if those are the stock pickups!

They may think the guitar could not have come in a pack. I know mine did, because I have everything but the thin plastic cover, which I was offered if I wanted it.
    I still find it hard to believe I am gassing over an SE!