HST. Highly Specialized Telecaster??

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by sconniesquier, Apr 2, 2018.

1. sconniesquier

sconniesquier Squier-Meister

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    While back home for Easter, the guy who had the music store way back, said the HST stands for Highly Specialized Telecaster, is this true??? I had just picked up a St-331, saw him at the gas station, he remembered me, got to talking, said I had HST as well, he spit that right out.

wonkenstein and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Where I hail from it's "Harmonized Sales Tax".

3. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Can we see a picture of it?

4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Apparently it stands for Hunter S Thompson ?

5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

6. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  7. sconniesquier

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I don’t know how to copy the link but there’s a pic in the post about the St-331.
    So Michael7....would the HST be the first original Squier body style???

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Do you mean the first body they did that was different from the conventional Strat shape? Bear in mind that the Bullet models by both Fender and Squier in those days were smaller bodied guitars than the Strat, so the early Bullets were variations from the Strat design. Later Bullets came to be full size, although often with thinner bodies.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  9. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Sorry, I didn't remember which guitar you had. I went back and found your thread. The ST-331 is not a HST guitar. I don't know why the guitar store owner told you that. The photos I show above are the only ones designated HST. See the Squier Wiki that I linked to above. It has all the Squier models listed.

Always a good idea to provide a link when referring to guitars in a previous thread, so the readers can be clear. Just right click on the address bar at the very top of your screen, and copy the address. Paste it into the new posting.

10. sconniesquier

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    The former store owner asked what other guitars I had from that era, the HST, was on the list. He sold em back in the day, my cousins Bullet 1 came from his store. It was 78 miles to the next music store back then.
    And though the Bullet did stray from the standard sizes, they still represented existing designs. Was the HST the first “original design”???
    The first Jagstang or Venus?? Does anyone know who designed it???

11. sconniesquier

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Mine is E5 says made in Japan on the headstock

Attached Files:

12. sconniesquier

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Sorry. I meant should it say MIJ on headstock?

13. sconniesquier

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Haha. Michael7, I’m pretty sure you told it was a 85 MIJ HST when I bought it. Lots of guitars on here.

14. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I went back through all your previous threads, and it looks like the first guitar you posted here many months ago was the black Squier Contemporary HST, same as my white one above.

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/please-help.125681/

I don't know of other Squiers from this period (about 1985-on) before this model that had a unique body design that was not closely related to the look of the original Stratocaster or Telecaster. However, the Fender (not Squier) Bullets of this period are a different body shape.

You can look at these Fender Bullets here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-bullet-owners-club.166850/

15. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

For some reason, these 85-86 HSTs don't have the country of origin mentioned anywhere on the guitar. The general consensus is they are MIJ, but I've read a few people speculating they were MIK. The tuners are Japanese (Gotoh), but I don't recall any other markings. I think maybe the tremolo block is the same casting as an earlier MIJ guitar that I have.

16. sconniesquier

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Nice. All great info. Should it have a neck date?? I can pull that off next string change.

17. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Mine (E6 1986) doesn't have a neck date. I don't seem to see many with dates after about 1984-5, but would be curious to see what others with MIJ guitars have to add to this.

18. sconniesquier

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    So if Korean production didn’t start until 87, E5&E6 would have to be Japanese. From what I’ve read (taken with a grain of salt) Guitars were only produced in Japan, with very little or no US production those years.
    I’ll pull that neck and see if there’s a date.
    Did you find any markings in the pocket???

19. sconniesquier

Aug 16, 2017
    Wisconsin
    And on those neck dates Michael7......is that the date the neck was made? Or the date the Guitar was assembled???
    Thanks for your info Michael, soon you will a student who can answer some of these easy questions for you. LOL

20. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

No markings in the pocket on the HST.

Nobody really knows if the date on the neck was when the neck was first completed and put in the stock bin, or when it was later attached to the guitar. Perhaps others will have comments about this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice