How'd You Come to Play Guitar?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by jimbojo, Jan 24, 2017.

1. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Reminds me of some Robbie Robertson lyrics, "Why do you all ways end up down at Nick's cafe? I said I don't know, the wind just kinda pushed me that way".

BlueSquirrel and Big tuna like this.
  2. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    My grandpa's favorite sayin' when someone said why do you do this!

jimbojo likes this.
  3. Stophy

Stophy Squier Talker

Jan 18, 2016
    Darlington, England
    I started at junior school when I was about 10 or 11 using my dad's old classical guitar. Then when I went into senior school and I played for a bit but then gave up quickly, as they were teaching what I had learnt over the previous years (this is what I remember). I was a quiet, shy kid so never asked to learn other things so just left the class. Oh, just think what I would know now if I did ask for the next level.

I then picked it up again around the age of 17 and have had one ever since. My interest in music also grew around this age so I was discovering more "guitar" bands and genres that I liked; grunge/Britpop/indie & 60's/70's through my parent’s record collection. I've never really bothered to learn it properly just playing chords and a few riffs through books and tab sites. Its' only in the last few years, since joining a band, that I've tried to learn more about playing it (scales, theory etc) to help create songs.

Also, I've also wanted to build a guitar and have a better understanding of how it all works. I finally achieved this, with a lot of help and info from this forum, and built a jazzmaster style guitar (https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/my-jazzmaster-partsmaster.103171/#post-500889).

:)

BlueSquirrel, ElRey67, Kylo and 3 others like this.
  4. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    Well I only began seriously learning about a few months ago (I'm 40).. Midlife crisis hitting hard.. Unfulfilled desire ever since I was a teenager, I took piano and music theory lessons for about 8-10 years as a kid, at a very strict and practice-oriented conservatory, which killed my love for playing, as I could read complex sheet music and studied notation, solfege, tonality, harmony, counterpoint, but I couldn't play a simple song at a party.. and guitar was out of the question.. Then, after school, you know, life happened and I never got round to it, although I'm a massive music fan of most kinds, more than 1500 CDs and 200-300 LPs and growing, plus about 150-200 gigs and festivals thoughout my life... Diverse styles although alternative and indie were my big loves.

So, coming back to my midlife crisis, about a few months ago I quit the job and decided to take some time off, sort of like a gap year, to get excited about life again (I was working 10-12 hour days or longer, since I was 21) and so, I buy an Affinity Tele and a Marshall solid state practice amp..

I own 7 guitars now and (only two) amps, and I must say that it's been only a few months but my love only grows bigger, although it has been a challenge for me to understand the guitar's logic coming from the very "linear" so to say piano, and already suffering from lateral epicondylitis from spending 2-3 maybe 4 hours practicing on my own..I had forgotten that learning an instrument is a physically challenging affair, plus I'm not a kid anymore, but the finger agility and ear are there, slowly waking up again. I don't have many expectations, I'm happy to just be able to play a few songs (working on, what else, Gimme Shelter right now - the rhythm guitar obviously) and debunk some of my childhood guitar heroes in the process.. So there... sorry for the long text, not expecting many to read it (I wouldn't..)

5. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    Well, I read it :)

Just as an addendum to my story, writing about my old Fernandes Strat (FST-65) prompted me to take another look on eBay, as I do every now and then. I found a dark-grey one, with a large dent by the rear strap button but otherwise in reasonable condition. It's the first one I've seen since I started looking that hadn't been mangled beyond recognition so I messaged the seller to see if he still had it (I'd noticed a few negative feedbacks saying he advertised guitars that were already sold). Unfortunately, it had already been sold so out of frustration I just entered the name and model number in local google search and in the second page I found this:

[​IMG]

It's half the price of the damaged one I missed on eBay, is the right colour, and looks in great conditions from what I can see in the photos. I'm just sorting out payment details with the seller and arranging for him to mail it to me as he lives about 400 miles away. A bit of a risk but at the price, I think it's well worth it. I'm finally going to be reunited with my baby! Anyway, just wanted to share that with you all as I'm really happy to have found it and it's all thanks to jimbojo for starting this thread.

6. Kylo

Kylo Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2017
    Glasgow
    @eaglesgift thats awesome dude, hopefully it plays just how you remember, don't forget to give us updates when you get it :)

7. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    Thanks man. I'm hoping it will be more like getting back together with a wild ex-gf for a night of unbridled passion than trying to rekindle a relationship with an ex-wife who you'd forgotten why you hated so much. Maybe I do take guitars too seriously o_O

scifilullaby and surfrodguitar like this.
  8. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    A guitar came to me in 2005. My first Squier; a 2000 Affinity Strat, via a dearly departed, uncle-in-law (R.I.P., Ronnie) It took me 8 years to finally pull it out of the closet and start the process. I haven't yet "come to play." I'm still quite the hack, but I DO love that Affinity and I DO love learning.

9. Armada50

Armada50 Squier Talker

Jan 26, 2019
    Texas USA
    As a kid, my brother got a guitar for Christmas & I would tinker, with it. I learned Wild Thing & Wooly Bully.

so1om likes this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My dad encouraged me to play when I was 14. I didn't ask.

My brother wanted to play the drums.

Dad felt like it was a good way to focus teenage kids. :)

11. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    It all began with a girl...................

Gloveberg likes this.
  12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I think I was about 6 when I first heard the Ventures, and that was my first love of guitar groups. And then four years later came the Beatles, Beach Boys, and the rest of the British Invasion. That was when I pestered my parents into getting me a Fender Mustang and Vibro Champ. I took some lessons, but then after about a year I lost interest, 'cause I didn't know how to take it beyond just learning the chords to popular songs. And then in about '68 or '69 I heard Cream, Jeff Beck, Zeppelin, Jimi, Fleetwood Mac, and the other great British and American bands, including all the San Francisco bands like the Airplane, Quicksilver, CJ and the Fish, Santana, the Dead, Steve Miller, and then The James Gang, Chicago, CSN, Duane and Dickey, (and many others), and I wanted to learn how to make those sounds on guitar. I had a friend who was a keyboard player and was in a band with Mike Shrieve's younger brother, and he showed me how to play a blues scale on piano. I then just taught myself how to play it in every key on the guitar, and that was the beginning of my journey to learn how to play lead guitar like all my favorite Rock and Blues players.

13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

About three years ago...

A band brother, guitarist in a band (several) I was in and a songwriting partner, tried to teach me but it just didn't take. We started to lose touch after 20-some years, living on opposite sides of the country, only emailing and FB at one point. At that point we talked about and made a plan for a proper face to face reunion. A month before our planned reunion he drowned. He committed suicide. No one wants to come out and say it but that's what happened.

I decided to buck the **** up and not give up on learning guitar as a way to keep him with me. He was my brother.

BlueSquirrel and Cobra like this.
  14. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I have a nice cheap strat copy, a Mustang 1, a Fender tuner, and a cable for a 13 year old grandson. We have not connected since Christmas, but maybe one day he will write, My grandfather gave me a guitar when I was 13......
    Give a kid a setup that sounds good enough to make them want to learn!

15. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Girls and Black Sabbath.

16. Cobra

Cobra Squier-Meister

Mar 8, 2018
    Florida
    In my early teens as young boys do a few of us started hanging out together and chasing girls. One of the guys sisters had a crush on me and invited me over and that’s when I met his older brother that could play the strings off of a guitar. Led Zep, Yes, Rolling Stones ect. and he was dam good at it. He offered to show me some chords and I bought my first guitar. A metal neck Ovation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice