How'd You Come to Play Guitar?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by jimbojo, Jan 24, 2017.

1. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    For me, I was around 9 or 10 years old and my dad (who had been playing for a couple of years) signed my sister up for group lessons. Now we were not a wealthy family by any means, so my dad probably wheeled and dealed to get a little 3/4 size acoustic for my sister. No again, we were a modest family but my sister never subscribed to that and the guitar my dad got was not good enough for her, so I talked him into giving it to me. He began teaching me some chords and basic timing, he played mostly Mexican folk music so I definitely learned that Ranchera beat. So, I guess I need to thank my sister for turning up her nose at that little acoustic guitar as it was how I came to play.

2. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I can't remember my age exactly, but I remember a time in my youth where I watched The Song Remains the Same and Woodstock in the same timeframe....that and watching Hee Haw (Roy Clark). Between Jimmy Page, Richie Havens, Carlos, and Roy, how could I not want to play guitar?
    That's how it started for me.

jamndad, mb doug, Davis Sharp and 6 others like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I started at 14. It was actually my dad's idea. I think it was because my brother wanted to play the drums, so dad set us up with lessons with me on guitar.

Dad brought me a pre-owned alpine white Gibson Les Paul Custom. I never really appreciated it and wound up selling it when I was 18 to buy an ESP. Biggest mistake of my life. I've never regretted anything more than selling that guitar.

I've been up and down with playing over the years. Family, career, and kids have taken most of my time this past decade. But as things settle down, I'm able to find some more time to play again.

I've GAS'd a bit lately ... but the Squier acoustic seems to get most of my attention right now. :)

4. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Eddie, I feel you, I started playing guitar over 40 years ago but there were large parts of my life where I did not play that much either. Probably explains why I am pretty much the most mediocre guitarist in this place. Hahahha

5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    For now, I just play for myself. To decompress after a long day. To get away from everything for a bit .... just me and the guitar. I'm a terrible player, but there are some nice youtube videos that can get me going right away. Tell me the chords and I'm off to the races.

I never really developed a good ear. But these days, the how-to videos are a great way for us to get back into it without tons of re-work. :)

6. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    My sister gave me a guitar, but I never did anything with it. They told me I had to have a hip replacement, and my sister died unexpectedly about the same time. I went and bought a Squier Affinity at a pawnshop for $44. That was three years ago this spring.

duceditor, jamndad, mb doug and 7 others like this.
  7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I thought it would make me a chick magnet. I didn't know that the polarity would be reversed and it would repel them. I kept playing anyway.

8. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Stairway to Heaven. When I was 8 or 9 I was at a family party, I heard my cousin ripping on it , blasting it on his electric from the family room. It didn't last long cause, the adults shut him down, but it was enough. I ran into that room but was too scared to stay. That sound was like pure evil but in a good way. My virgin ears had never heard anything like it! Later when the bigger kids had left, I snuck in and opened the case. It was like cracking Pandoras Box! The birds of heaven and light shown out through that case and I had fallen hard! So yeah...it sounds cliche but Stairway to Heaven hooked me.

9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I was about 13 or 14. An outwardly shy, rather arty, kid with one really close friend with whom I'd snorkel dive, shoot bb guns, and do all the other quintessential things American suburban kids did in pre-Beatles `60s.

One day this pal showed up at my house with a guitar. It belonged to his older brother but he had borrowed it and decided to learn to play it.

That seemed cool. I asked my folks if they'd buy me one. But they turned me down because I'd not followed through when they'd tried to get me to play piano and clarinet some years earlier.

No matter! I mowed lawns and saved up $12.88 and bought one myself that was on display in the record department of a local discount store. Now with each of us equipped my pal, Al Karp, and I got busy learning chords, then songs. "Wake Up Little Susie" was among the first. Then, as our skills started to grow, we started doing Ventures songs and the like.

Being kind of dynamic in nature, even then, the next step was forming a "band." Just the two of us at first -- billed as the Bi-Tones. We auditioned and got gigs.

The rest for us was 'history.' Still best friends at age 70. With more memories made with six strings than anything else.

Here, via the Wayback Machine, is the more official version as penned by pop music historian Mike Dugo: An Interview With Don Sucher

Great memories here! I love reading everyone's stories!

-don

10. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    My mother was one of 10 children. All my aunts were musical to some degree. My favorite aunt, Mildred (Pill), gave me a an old Strat and Rickenbacker amp when I was 14-15. I played around on it but never got serious even though guitar music was always my favorite. I traded the gear for an old acoustic (big mistake) and fiddled with it on and off. Jump 20 years and my youngest son wanted a guitar for Christmas. I bought him a Squier Bullet and me an Affinity. Jump 14 years and here I am still trying to play. I suck but I will never give up.

Cobra, mb doug, ElRey67 and 5 others like this.
  11. Bear

Bear Squier-holic

Oct 29, 2013
    Kentucky
    I was about nine years old and I heard Duane Eddy's "Movin' and Groovin" on the radio and I was hooked.

It's funny now that Duane and I are such close friends.

mb doug, Brever, ElRey67 and 5 others like this.
  12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Mother gave me a ukulele for Christmas when I was about 9 years old..Taught me to play some songs from the roaring 20s..
    I soon bought a 2nd uke with money that I had earned..(GAS started early).
    Both of them were destroyed in moving and I was without an instrument for about a year..:mad:
    Then my step dad brought a painted cowboy guitar home and hung it on the wall..One day when nobody was around I took it down and tuned the 1st four strings to what sounded like my uke tuning..:)
    The flood gates were open..
    And yeah it was a chick magnet..:cool:

jamndad, eaglesgift, mb doug and 7 others like this.
  13. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    My father had been playing guitar and fiddle for years before I was born so it was natural for me to try when I was about 6 or 7. First guitar was an old 40's era Kay flattop. Went from there to a Kay Vanguard II (that I wish I still had) and then a Matsumoku Orlando 335 copy with mother of toilet seat headstock overlay and pickguard, bought new when I was about 10. Still have it.

Later I was introduced to the bass guitar and because I could play it (self-taught), I was popular with the bands in high school. I think that's the reason I consider myself such a mediocre guitar player is that I've almost always played bass in a band.

Favorite music form is Country or Bluegrass Gospel. That was the style of music that was played in church when I was a kid. One of my uncles would play either banjo or mandolin in church. Those were the days.

jamndad, mb doug, Brever and 4 others like this.
  14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My brother started playing in 1963/64. When he left for college in 1970, he left behind an old Kingston bass and a busted acoustic. Naturally I wanted to play too. About 1977 or so I convinced my dad to part with $40 for a no name (possibly Cortez) SG copy. The “guitar that I wanted” was always “the cheapest guitar in the store”. He opted for the $40 SG over the $35 Kimberly with the fretboard that was peeling off… Why my Dad never coordinated with my brother who by this time was a professional musician, I don’t know. I think it was Christmas of 78 or 79 and my brother gave me a Fender Musicmaster bass amp with a 15” JBL concert shoehorned in there. I still have it.

Why did I want to? Not sure, really. Obv I liked music, maybe because my brother played and maybe it was something to do….

mb doug, Brever, Davis Sharp and 2 others like this.
  15. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

I suppose there were a few different factors.

Both my parents are amateur musicians. My dad sings, plays harmonica, and can also play the melodian as well as a bit of guitar, bass and mandolin.

My Mam used to play Guitar (but finds it difficult due to arthritis) and now plays Ukulele, and can play a smattering of Piano.

As a kid, we had a piano and also a couple of Casio and Yamaha keyboards, which I used to mess around on, but never learnt to play. I regret that now.

My Mam wanted me to learn the Recorder at school, and got me one, but I hated it. I found them horrible and plastic and hated how they sound.

It was only really when I was about 16. I'd got seriously interested in music a year or so earlier. It was at the time Oasis appeared, and if anyone inspired me, it was Noel Gallagher (by his own admission he's not the greatest guitarist - but hey, he's not bad! - but inspired lots of people with his music and the songs he wrote. You could apply a similar definition to Kurt Cobain).

I bought the two Oasis chord songbooks and some others from the same series for Blur, The Beatles, The Stone Roses, Nirvana etc. They laid out the chords with diagrams, so I borrowed my Mam's Yamaha acoustic and taught myself a few chords and songs. A couple of months later, I bought a second hand Squier Strat (still with me, albeit much modded and repainted) and acquired an amp, and went from there.

16. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm not genetically predisposed to be a good musician. A friend of mine started playing the guitar at the same time I did. I took lessons. He didn't. He had a mother who was a musician.

Within a year, he was playing in rock bands and cranking out Iron Maiden tunes by ear.

He had the genes. I didn't.

17. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I 1st tried guitar when i was about 14 or so, my elder brother played but as we didnt really get on then there wasn't anything to pass from him to me. I gave up after about a year, none of my friends played and as I wasnt getting anywhere I thought it was something too difficult to master..
    Step forward a few years and i am in my late 20's, the 1st wife and I are going through a messy divorce and I needed something to keep my head occupied. I bought my first electric guitar, a 1982 made in Japan Squier and Fender amp for I think £150, Anyway. too much turmoil going on in my life and another failure attempt at playing, At this point I probably thought that was me done with guitars and tbh I didnt give them another thought until just gone 2 years past .
    One of the guys in my local pub brought a guitar in one Sunday and started me off again, I couldn't remember any chords or whatever but I had this tremendous urge to buy a guitar and strangely enough it co-ensided with me giving up smoking..
    Anyway, I bought a Squier acoustic which i still have
    20151207_173726.jpg
    And i have played guitar at a poor level near every day since.
    My Guitars in the last 2 years have been trial and error, I bought an Epiphone Les Paul and a SG but sold those once I bought myself a Squier Telecaster
    14915314_1448904095138218_3186703604543544031_n.jpg
    the neck of the Telecaster just felt right and correct to me compared to the neck of the LP and SG
    A couple of other guitars I have are an Epiphone acoustic and a LAG acoustic
    20151207_173758.jpg
    20160613_220223.jpg
    I think that is about it from me, I still havent found which style i would like to play which is a bit of a draw back for my motivation..oh, near for got.. I have a partscaster i am putting together and a "Vintage" Strat shaped guitar..
    1532133_1231541886874441_2369690790964250947_n.jpg
    Seemingly I have reached my limit...I'll do a picture of my Squier partscaster in some other thread...

18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Ah, but do you enjoy it? That's as good or better than being "good."

True for life itself IMO, but hey, that's another entire thread. :)

-don

jamndad, Brever, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  19. fett

fett Squier-holic

Jun 10, 2015
    Lynnwood, WA
    What an interesting topic. I was a 1950's kid. The school attempted to get us interested in instruments. Horns and such. Strings were violins. The Guitar was never mentioned. My friend was lucky enough to have his dad buy him a Fender Strat. I handled it and somehow I knew.

20. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, God didn't make me a musician. But he gave me the gift of music so I can enjoy playing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice