How/Where To Buy A Harley Benton Guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Hoss, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    Looks like some pretty impressive guitars for the coin. Who markets these and how do you order?

Anyone try a Harley Benton?

2. pfapin

pfapin Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    Through Thomann website. I have never played one myself though, but I hear they are hit or miss.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  3. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Where's the pictures?,, must we rely on our imaginations?.. Guess I'll do a google search but may get sidetracked on a Harley Davidson..

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Viking like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    maxresdefault.jpg I almost bought two from their website, a matching Tele and Strat with paper thin veneer Rosewood tops and backs. They really look nice. Shipping all the way from Germany is really reasonable.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Thomann in Germany is the distributor of Harley Benton. They do have some very nice looking guitars. @blackpudboy has several and has been pleased.

One fly in the ointment, is last time I looked, Thomann has stopped all shipment to the U.S. because of the idiotic CITES nonsense. Whether that is still true, I don't know.

6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I think they may have straightened it out, 'cause the two I was gonna buy were rosewood veneer tops/backs, and that was after the new CITES regulations (which are specifically about rosewood), and the only reason I cancelled the order was 'cause my Paypal payment didn't go through, 'cause my bank put a stop on it, since the charge was from Germany and I'm in Hawaii, and they found that suspicious.

7. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    Been itching to try several models they have. Most recently the hank marvin strat with a maple v shape neck. The te 90, and prince copy guitars are interesting to me too though. Hope someday I score one (or more, I've read it's pretty reasonable to ship two at a time from them ).

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Viking like this.
  8. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I considered buying a HB, did some research to find mostly pros to few cons. I contacted an ebay seller, who had a few teles in stock $136 -$168. A dealer from England, if I recall. He got back to me a recommended purchasing a hardshell case, as he wouldn't ship to the US without one. Thomann Co seems legit with positive feedback. Plenty of YouTube vids with some "un-boxing" of newly received HB's. Keep up posted if you pull the trigger.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My nephew has a really nice SG style that'll rival most Epiphones up to the G-400. (the Harley has a bolt on neck. is that really an issue though?) We're in Chicago but it was brought back from Germany by a serviceman. I don't know if the economies of scale would hold up with having one shipped to the US.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Is that the “cloud” guitar? I just looked at their site but didn’t see those. For some reason I really like those.

Kenneth Mountain and five teles like this.
  11. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    This TE-70 Black Paisley Tele is the one that's got my attention. I love the finish, and it sounds great and get very high marks on youtube videos.

12436652_800.jpg

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Squier Talker

Jun 27, 2010
    UK
    I have had two .My favorite ,the JA-60 jazz Master type with two P90;s was good but badly needed fret ends work don e,it was actually dangerous .No problem for me ..After that it rocked but was heavy for me .Same for a two humbucker Tele type.The frets were OK but it was super heavy and a bit odd .The main prob with all of them is cheap guitar fret work finish and weight .Light guitars cost money according to another German importer.You cant spec lightweight as the Asians just dodnt have the wood ,unless its paulowonia which I love but others hate as too light ..Thomman are always upping their quality and specs .They take it seriously .They are German.I do fancy their shortscale Mustang type.In a review a few years ago Guitar and Bass magazine gave the Harley Benton ES 335 type a top marks in the cheapy section .

Kenneth Mountain and surf green like this.
  13. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    Sadly no. It's more like his original telecaster style guitar. I can't link. But I can screenshot with the best of them. Lol.

Attached Files:

14. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Since there's no Lefty Squier Mustang or Jaguar available (I do not mention the costy Fender), the Harley-Benton was a cheap solution for me. I bought 2 HB MS60LH-VW Mustang knock-off and modded one in a "Cyclone"-like model :

[​IMG]

Note that they do need quite work and setup to be playable, but once done, they are fully playable.

I acquired them 2nd hand in unused condition for 80 and 90 Euros respectively. One is kept original, I modded the other with a set of Squier Std Strat AlNiCo PUs :

[​IMG]

It was my 1st test about that brand, and I must tell that it is completely successful... :cool:

The MS60 is sold circa 130-140 Euros brand new via thomann.de. There's also the JA60 in the same ballpark, and it's a Jaguar-Jazzmaster like. Oh, and in LH and RH... :D

For once we can have good and cheap (Lefty) guitars here in France, without paying high shipping and customs rates, it's all good ! ;)

A+!

15. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Wow! I just got sucked in to an internet-amazon-ebay wormhole looking at these!!! Loving the black paisley Tele especially! I was quite interested to see the Roswell Tron style pickups are reasonably priced....
    Has anyone heard these? I can't afford a TVJ for a Cabronita build I'm attempting and thought it might be a good (enough) substitute...

16. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    There’s a guy on the Yoo-hoo tuba that unboxes and reviews Harley Benton guitars. Yes, he does set them up and does indicate that they need be setup. I think that he is quite complete in his assessment of the guitars. And, that black paisley Tele looks amazing! Oh no, I feel a GAS attack coming on.......

17. GregNZ

GregNZ Squier Talker

Oct 28, 2010
    New Zealand
    This guy in the UK appears to like Harley Benton guitars...

Greg S.

Kenneth Mountain and Merv_j like this.
  18. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    There are a bunch of threads about these on A Guitar Forum, (used to be the Agile Forum). I peruse their website from time to time but for the most part stay away. No need to have a major gas attack.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    There's even an Harley-Benton forum, but I found it somewhat "desert", at least on the guitar subject...

But it's me, OK ? :D

20. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Here is the latest HB vid update (yesterday), all models in stock and info on new models. This vid is by an "insider" who seems to have all the answers. I gotta say the HB teles look pretty good.