How to play in key...

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Roccobagadonuts, Apr 3, 2020.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    That's exactly what I was saying too, but you said it so much simpler and succintly

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  2. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    When I was trying to figure it out I was like 15 or something back in the late 80s. At that time I seemed to see 2 different ways of playing an A Dorian pop up a lot...

1 is where u have 5 7 9 on the the D string and then 5 7 on the G string... That is the one I listed. The other is where you go 5-7 on the D string... And then 4-5-7 on the G string... When I was trying to learn it that movement up the neck on the G string to hit the 4th fret of the 4-5-7 just seemed not natural. As all the other scales and modes seemed to be going down the neck... Then in the Dorian there is that 1 note(B) that just seemed to be a lot easier to do if I went with the other version I kept seeing. Where it starts off with 5-7-8... Then 5-7-9 and then 5-7-9 on the D string... So ur never going up the neck to pick up any of the notes. Its always like downhill in 1 direction... Im not sure which one is the right one tho. Or if both are considered "right"... To me it just seemed easier to do one version then the other...

In the version I listed u pick up the C and D on the G string at the 5th and 7th fret. The 7th and 9th fret on the G string would be D and E...

ToneChaser77 and Footsore like this.
  3. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Yea, that kinda stuff is beyond confusing... Like when he starts the video off he plays 1-3-5 on the low E string... Then he goes into 3-5-6 on the E string... Then he goes into 5-6-8 on the low E string... But then he's talking about half steps and whole steps and tri-tones and etc and etc... At that point my brain becomes mush and im lost and confused...

To me what he is doing is playing the 1st 3 notes of the 1st 3 scales/modes... In order...

1-3-5 on the low E string would be the 1st 3 notes of the F Major scale...The 1st scale/mode...

Then 3-5-6 that he does next as he moves down the neck would be the 1st 3 notes of G Dorian mode... The 2nd mode...

Then 5-6-8 on the low E string would be the 1st 3 notes of A Phyrgian… The 3rd mode...

He is doing exactly what I was discussing above. As far as playing the scales/modes in a key in order 1 after the other... But once u bring in half steps and whole steps and tri-tones and all this other stuff. The easy comprehension of it all goes down the drain and ur quite often left saying WTF is this guy talking about heh... When we were kids and trying to learn this stuff our little group of hooligans labled it stoner theory... Leave out all other confusing stuff. And zero in on the meat and potatoes... The stuff that let us know what the other guy was doing and how to join in and do the same...

4. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Paul McArtney couldnt read a single note of music and didn't know the difference between a mode and George Harrison's moustache.

...jus sayin is all

ScoobySnacker, drewcp and GEECEE like this.
  5. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Cool! I'm that good already!!! LOL!

6. brashboy

brashboy Squier Talker

Apr 6, 2017
    Florida
    I really don't do scales anymore, b/c every solo sounded like I was running scales. So I just stick to chord tones, like Larry Carlton, who claims in a Beato interview that he never learned scales. Yeah, the chord tones come from the scale, but I'm not playing scales anymore. I think the modes are helpful -- like, to know which note of the mixolydian gives you the mixolydian flavor, and such. But I've gone in a different direction altogether.

Learning chord tones is a certain amount of work, but no worse than scales and modes. Learning diatonic chord sequences and chord tones teaches a LOT about scales, but scales never taught me much about chord construction. Could just be me, of course.

No more trying to figure out which scale to play over, say, the IV. Chord tones are working for me. Gotta know chord construction and be able to use it on the fly, but it gets easier, fast.

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you only play scales, then it doesn't sound musical, it sounds like exercises. Scales are the tool to know what notes are available for inventing intersting riffs, licks, and melodies. If you only use chord tones, you're robbing yourself of half of the note choices available to you, thereby limiting your creativity. Carlton may not have formally studied scales, but he instinctively still knows what notes work beyond just chord tones, as do many great players who don't know much theory, but have great instincts and ears.

ScoobySnacker and drewcp like this.
  8. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    You got to mix up the notes in the scale when you play them and alter your beats, let some notes sustain longer, others choke off and still others bend some. other wise it will sound too mechanical/predictable

9. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    The Reverend Billy Gibbons is known to keep it in G Demolished.

GEECEE and ScoobySnacker like this.
  10. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
  11. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

I took lessons for several years from a jazz guitarist, he had great hopes for me, and I learned a LOT!!! I've forgotten theory over the years and now pretty much play by ear/feel ….it usually works well enough that folks think I'm really good, although deep down inside, I don't necessarily know what I'm doing atm but it usually works...heh let X = X

wonkenstein and GEECEE like this.
  12. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    LOL!! Love it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice