How to identify a Squier standard

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Oldguitarguy, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier Talker

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Can anyone tell me how to identify a Squier standard and distinguish it from an affinity or other model? Also what is the difference in quality?

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    99.99% of the time, the Standard will stay Standard on the ball of the headstock.

Otherwise,
    - full thickness body
    - 2 point trem
    - 22 frets
    - alnico pups

rolie, wildelectric, Taurus and 4 others like this.
  3. wade-19

wade-19 Squier-Meister

Jan 26, 2015
    St.Louis
    Older Standards said standard on the ball of the headstock, but had the 6 screw trem.

4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I think the 1999 models had the 6 point trem. Then switched to 2 point from 2000 onwards.

5. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    2000 was s transitional year. My 2000 Standard had a 6 point trem. So they may have either.

6. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2016
    Also, the Standard will have the words Squier and Stratocaster on the headstock in addition to the word Standard on the ball of the headstock.

Affinities will have Squier and Strat on the headstock in addition to the Affinity on the ball of the headstock.

If you see Squier Strat on the headstock, nothing on the ball of the headstock, and the body is full width the guitar is probably a Squier SE.

Some time in early to mid 2000's Affinities ceased being produced with trap tuners (named for the trapezoidal shape of the tuner cover) and came fitted with the ping style tuners. I don't think any Standards ever came with trap tuners.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Taurus, dbrian66, SquierTap and 3 others like this.
  7. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Watch out when buying used, a lot of people, even Guitar Center advertise all kind of squiers as "Standard" when they are not. Using standard as a generic term for all squire models, maybe not realizing there is a standard model.

Taurus, dbrian66, SquierTap and 4 others like this.
  8. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    If you're talking about a Strat...

A large headstock, gold/black logo, with "Standard Series" on the ball end, and sealed tuners with no screws visible on the back of the headstock. Also a two-point trem (after around 2000) and heavy duty looking block saddles. Shown is a 2004 model.

20190307_084122.jpg 20190307_084139.jpg

If you're talking about a Tele...

Gold/black logo that barely fits with "Standard Series" on the ball end, sealed tuners with no visible screws, same style heavy duty looking block saddles as the Strat.
    Shown is a 2018 model.

20190307_084206.jpg 20190307_084254.jpg

This should help you identify whether it's a "Standard Series" or a just a standard Squier.

As far as difference in quality, it's minimal between the Standards and cheaper models. The Standards are nicer, that is to say it has features that make it more like a Fender, but not necessarily better. The added thickness, saddle styles, bridge styles, pickups, etc. that differentiate the Standards from the Affinity models is a matter of preference, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  9. VMamp

VMamp Squier Talker

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    CY2000, 22 frets, 41mm Nut but has the 43mm wider string spacing on mine, full thickness body, Solid Tuners with pegs to locate not screws, Rosewood fingerboard with genuine Pearloid dot markers, 6 point trem, and one of the nicest necks (except for that ugly large headstock, re-profiled mine to pre CBS size)

10. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier Talker

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    So what is a “Squier SE” and where does it fall on the hierarchy? I know that’s kinda subjective, but interested in learning from the experts. I really appreciate the info. I really like my Squiers.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. oneLOCOman

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    "SE" came in starter packs, not for sure the years, 2000-2012? Full size bodies, all the ones I have seen just have Squier Strat with "by Fender" underneath. The sn was on a sticker on the back.

12. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Nut

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
  13. oneLOCOman

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    The SE are cheapy. But gut 'em and you got a great mod platform. Just finished this one.
    newax.4.jpg

dbrian66, TEXINGA, SquierTap and 3 others like this.
  14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

2 types of "SE"

CAE - sticker SN#, skunk stripe, plain PG & trem cover
    CXS - Pearoid PG & trem cover, no skunk stripe, printed SN#

2000 - 2002 to 2014 ? not sure but close

dbrian66, Eddie and SquierTap like this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    That's a nice one. You're the king of the SE's. Looking great.

16. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    They are nice and play well. This is my 2008 bone stock but I would not change a thing about it. 2 point tremolo decked.

Attached Files:

dbrian66, SquierTap and Oldguitarguy like this.
  17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Wait a min... I've got a '13 CXS and it had a SN# sticker...

jjudas, dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

say what now - you have a CXS with a sticker serial num ? show us - not printed on the HS - a sticker ?

damn - another variation !

SquierTap, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I'll have to dig back through my pics from
    my last phone... That's that $59 Guitar Center Online Special that I completely stripped and built back... The old worn green one, but it started life as a '13 CXS Strat SE WITH a serial number sticker on the back of the neck... Of course, it's long gone now, lol... But it WAS on there for sure... Cause I remember hearing one of the ways to identify an SE was that sticker, along with the all black "Strat" logo, and the dots being close together...

20. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I have a '12 black CXS SE with sn# printed on the back of the headstock. I had a black '00 CAE with a sticker. I also have a sunburst SE with no sn# with skunk stripe. I didn't know they made a '13. Always finding something new with Squier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice