How to determine guitar type for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by drabina, Mar 14, 2019.

1. tortuga

tortuga Squier Talker

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
    Do not underestimate the importance of these subjective factors. To me, the differences in tone and “complexity” are small in comparison, especially when starting out. The most complex electric guitar is not rocket science and any proper functioning squier will stay in tune. So buy what appeals to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  2. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    If ya get an electric I say again get ya an amp like a Bugera BC15. I tried them modeling amps and they sound artificial, IMO. Plus ya spend time messing with the settings, etc. Just plug and play, nice clean tones.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  4. drabina

drabina Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2019
    NJ
    It is funny because I was just looking at the Bugera BC15 amplifier on Sweetwater website. Kinda like the vintage look and the fact that it is not black. May go for that plus two DIY amps. One tube out of the RTR deck and one small headphone that I have built in the past.

As to the acoustic guitar, I have tried that before and didn't like the high action. Electric was a lot easier for me.

BlueSquirrel and dbrian66 like this.
  5. How to determine guitar type for a beginner?

It should say Bullet or Affinity on the headstock.
    Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66, DougMen and brians like this.
  6. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    What ever gets the job done! :) by a few of everything is the obvious answer as many here will attest :D

High action is not predicated to guitars of a particular type. I have several acoustics and the action rivals my electrics as to string height.

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
  8. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    dbrian66 likes this.
  11. drabina

drabina Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2019
    NJ
    $20 guitar amp next town over. Worth checking out. Thanks for the link. I know it is an entry level one but it may be fine for starting and while I work on a tube amp.

12. Kaffeine_oo7

Kaffeine_oo7 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    The best guitar for a beginner is one he/she can afford and, more importantly, will inspire them to play. As long as it is in good shape and can be intonated properly the rest is up to you I suppose. As far as Strats are concerned, yes, in my opinion they are excellent for beginners. They’re comfortable because of the contouring, they’re much lighter than a Les Paul type of guitar, the dual cutouts allow for easier access to the higher registers, and the scale length makes them easier to play. Just make sure that it is set up well to factory specs and then over time you’ll decide if you like the action (string height above the frets) higher or lower than stock. But regardless, if a Strat will inspire you to pick it up and play it, go for it. If a Les Paul will be that inspiration, then grab that one - or any other type of guitar out there. Go to a music store and play on as many as you can and don’t worry about the other people in the store that will know you’re a beginner. Just ignore them and check out the guitars to see if one catches your attention. Then you’ll have a better idea of what to look for. The biggest concerns for a first guitar should be budget and then attraction. Grab one you are attracted to that is in your budget and you’ll likely play it more. Also, regardless of what guitar you choose, keep it forever. I know so many people who wish they had their first guitar back.

dbrian66 and AllThumbs76 like this.
  13. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Keep it simple for now. Ask him to plug is in so you can hear it work. The entry Squier amps are as they are ... entry. Use it as a door stop in a year ... but for $20, that's less than lunch. :)

dbrian66 and brians like this.
  15. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Hey, unless your broke and I doubt that due to your interest in tube amps...... buy a good quality guitar upfront so you don't have to repeat the process.
    The better the guitar is the more you are going to want to play, pure and simple. And yes, a better guitar will make you a better player, no brainer.
    I would stay away from entry level instruments unless you want to learn to work on them more than want to play them.

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Just remember one thing ,EVERYONE started as a beginner at some point ,the first time they picked up a guitar, even Jimi Hendrix , or Eric Clapton, once upon a time , they knew as much , or a lot less ( cause there was no internet ) then you already know right now. Go get your guitar.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

17. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Wow, what a great intro thread!

Welcome, @drabina - tons of really good advice, so I'll try to keep my contribution simple.

Start with an electric guitar. It is so much easier to play than an acoustic. I think it's hard to find a good-playing, low-priced, good sounding acoustic guitar.

I don't see the trem as an obstacle with an Affinity or Bullet Strat. It's pretty easy to deck the trim - and most shops - even the big ones - should be able to tighten the trem screws for you before buying. Trem can be decked and not blocked, right?

That said, the bullet and Affinity Teles are nice. Especially that Green Bullet Tele that is special to Guitar Center. So are the Bullet Mustangs.

For an amp, I'd recommend a Fender Champion 20 or 40 (if you don't have noise/cost constraints). Great sound options - just do a little experimenting with the different amp models - most of the first 5 or 6 should give you the ability to get that quacky Knopffler sound if you have a Strat or Tele.

Also, depending on where you are in NJ, I know a very good tech with extremely reasonable prices. Setups in the $40 range, plus strings. My instructor uses him, and her guitars play like magic.

dbrian66, waynes world, Eddie and 2 others like this.
  18. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    It's usually possible to alter the action on an acoustic. If you still have your acoustic guitar, you could bring it to a luthier for a setup and a change of strings (for ex. extra lights or light silk and steel would give you the same feel as an electric guitar imo).

My first electric guitar is a strat and so far I haven't found it too complicated (it's a Squier but lots of other brands are good too. For ex. Yamaha Pacifica...).
    The action came well set up from the factory/shop. The trem screws were tightened so that the trem wouldn't move which is fine for a beginner. It had a set of really good strings on....

If you've seen a nice sea foam green or a beautiful red or a lovely burst electric guitar - be it a tele or a strat or any shape or brand, really - , you should try it out in a shop or order it from a place which has a return policy. The fact that you like the looks of your guitar in the first place may make you pick it up more often and playing regularly is the key to success.

Doesn't Mark Knopfler play a red strat btw?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    dbrian66 likes this.
  19. seua

seua Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2014
    France
    I started with a strat (Squier bullet) , pleased with it, and at the same time got a classical guitar just for a low price, a real basic one...
    reason is simple, when you progress a bit on a classical one, your progress would be remarquable on an electric one with a narrower neck...
    just my 2cts ... ;)

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. Bkenny

Bkenny Squier Talker

Nov 28, 2018
    Martinez,ca
    I started last year right around this time (time flies) . Lots of good advise here my first guitar was a Mim Fender strat that i got from my little brother. I tried a few times and gave up before. One of my frustrations was not even being able to tune or keep it in tune. So i went to Guitar Center and bought a Super Snark tunner and started watching Marty Schwartz videos on you tube (lots of good lessons) . What ever you start with will be fine as long as you keep it in tune and just keep practicing . They are right about Guitars i have 5 now 2 are strats one Mim Fender and a Squire Affinity witch i have block both termelos with wood blocks . I figure once i get to the point i can use them simple unblock them . The red one in my Avitar is a 2002 Squier Affinity ($70.00 Craigs list) its fun to play.

dbrian66 and BlueSquirrel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice