How to determine guitar type for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by drabina, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm with Davis on this. Too much overkill. Way too much information for a newbie.

Get a guitar you like, and practice. Get a good teacher to get your started.

All this talk about setting up is just going to make your head explode. You're on a Squier forum. We're going to recommend Squiers. Just go to Guitar Center and snag one you like.

dbrian66, Davis Sharp and jjudas like this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I say don't pay any attention to those who are afraid of Strats with a trem. My first electric was a Fender Mustang, and my next was a Strat, in '65 and '72, and I never took either to a tech (most stores didn't have one then, we setup our own guitars), and I never had any tuning problems.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Trumpy

Trumpy Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Western WI
    Others have mentioned scale length. My thoughts would be to go to a store that sells leather gloves. If size small fits, 24" scale might be worth looking into. A google search of scale length should explain what it is all about.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. drabina

drabina Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2019
    NJ
    I spent some time this evening on YouTube watching videos that compare Tele and Strat. I do have to say that I prefer the sound of Strat. I have also decided to go with HT vs tremolo. Not that there is something wrong with tremolo but I do not see myself using it anytime soon when I start learning. That plus one less thing to maintain.

Two more options that I have to decide between is SSS or HSS. Leaning towards HSS for the versatility. The other one is color: red or brown sunburst. Wish they had HT in the seafoam green color as I like it the best.

Oh, and most likely will pickup a new guitar for about $150 from a local Guitar Center or Sam Ash music store so I have a warranty. Don't want to deal with a used one since I don't know how to check it.

5. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    That sounds like a perfectly reasonable place to start! I vote red...but sunburst is a classic!

dbrian66 and BlueSquirrel like this.
  6. newscaster

newscaster Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2018
    Nevada
    Some good advice here. If possible get your hands wrapped around three or four guitars in your price range, get them on your lap. Play that e minor or any other chord. The one that feels the best is going to be the one. Get the Guitar shop guys to play it for you. I get stuff online but I like doing the setup, tweaks and mods myself. Unfortunately I'm better at that than playing. For a beginner I'd say Tele before Strat, too. But the doggone thing I play the most is a cheap parlor sized acoustic with light strings.

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You could always get a Strat with a trem, and just leave the bar off, and screw the claw in far enough so that the bridge is not floating, but is flat against the body. I'm sure that there are YouTube videos or instructions on the Fender website forums on how to do that. It's really simple. You just take the back plate off, and tighten the screws holding the claw to the body until the bridge is laying flat against the body and isn't floating (some Strats come setup like that anyway, and if you want the trem floating, you have to loosen the claw screws). Then, later on, if you want to start trying to use the trem, you don't have to get a new guitar. And MF has the Bullet Strat SSS and HSS in Foam Green for $129, which is a MF/GC exclusive, so you won't find it on Fender's website. And all dealers have the Affinity Strat s-l1000.jpg J20363000003001-00-1000x1000.jpg 0370600557_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg
    in Surf Green.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 3:29 AM
  8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    That sounds like a sound idea..Go for it..

Davis Sharp and dbrian66 like this.
  9. mudshark60

mudshark60 Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2019
    California
    My first electric guitar was a Telecaster-1 switch, volume, tone. Simple. Of course, six months later I bought a cheap Squier Bullet Strat. So much for simple.

Davis Sharp, brians and dbrian66 like this.
  10. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Just buy the Strat !! Anything else is going to seem like a compromise the way you are writing. Don't stress the tremelo either, it's not some secret witchcraft for the select few. Nothing to it, a couple of you tube videos and you will understand it. Leave the bar off till you ready , tune it up and play it. My Strats are set up for trem, because I believe a trem is part of what a Strat fundamentally is, but in honesty I never use it in the music I play. But I know it's there, some weird thing about this. The look and feel of a Strat is special , it will make you want to pick it up and play it all the time. It's a Stratocaster, that's the thing!
    Oh one other thing, if you are buying at entry level, I would suggest the Bullet rather than the Affinity as a first guitar, because the nut is ever so slightly wider on the Bullet and as you are learning the chords, the wider nut can be easier for finger placement in my opinion.
    Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:19 AM
    dbrian66, DougMen and Davis Sharp like this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    drabina, welcome to squier talk. You'll love it here, enjoy !

I'm going to shuffle the cards here.

I'm not in the camp of a Strat being a good starter guitar. Neither a Tele. Both have long scales, making them hard to play at the end of the neck (first frets), where you'l be 99% of the time at the beginning. So, a short scale is way better for that.

A Strat has a slippery body. You will probably be playing sitting at the beginning, to better concentrate and see the neck. A Strat is not at it's best laying on a thigh, it wants to slip away.
    A Tele is boxy. Played sitting, like a thick Les Paul, it pokes you in the ribs.

Both can be heavy. Weight is another thing you don't need to fight. You want to learn the easy way.

To get a decent tone out of a thin single coil like these have, you need a good amp. If not it will sound thin and it will not entice you to play.

What am I suggesting then ?

This.
    [​IMG]

This guy is a Stratocaster type and listen to what he has to say bout the Special 1.

These are real cheap and almost anywhere you look, people rave about them. They like the tone that comes out of it, regardless of the amp it's plugged into. They like the neck on it. They like how light it is. Not much bad reviews.

Amongst many other, I have two of those and love them. They let you play the way you want to. They're so easy to deal with that the usual negative comment they get, is that they feel like a toy. I find that one of their greatest asset. What's a toy ? Something to have fun with and this guitar is all fun, from A to Z.

You tell the salesman at the store you buy it (don't be shy) that you are starting and everybody tells you that if your first guitar is not properly set up, you will not want to learn. So would you please set it up at its best.

Good luck and welcome in the guitar world. It's a terminal desease (a good one) and you might just have caugh it.

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    On a different note, my first guitar back in 1984 was a pre-owned alpine white Gibson Les Paul Custom. Dad paid $600 with hard shell case. I was 14. He wanted to get me an instrument that wouldn't hold me back. One that wouldn't cause frustration or impede the learning curve.

I loved that guitar, but didn't really appreciate it. I sold it in 1988 for an ESP Mirage. Argh !!! Dumb teenager.

I was never a good player ... and am still a terrible player. But at least I can play. That's a gift. I never developed a good ear, so I could never pick out a song and just start playing along. Then again, thinking back, I practiced when I could ... but I had other things, such as school, HW, studies, SAT, etc, etc.

My rocker friends would practice 3-4 hours a day because schoolwork wasn't important to them. They were on stage and I was still dinkering with Mary Had a Little Lamb. I'm exaggerating, but you guys get the idea.

So the moral of the story ... get out and play !!! :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. drabina

drabina Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2019
    NJ
    I had Epiphone Les Paul Special II few years back and while I liked the look of the guitar, it was heavy and big. I would definitely want to get something smaller (body-size) and lighter. I am a tall guy so shouldn't have any trouble reaching for the upper frets of the Strat.

Also, after reviewing some sound samples and YouTube videos, I have to say that I like the SSS version of the Strat better than the HSS. Though I am not sure how much switching between the pickups I will do in the beginning so that may be a moot point.

It is great with all the info here and internet resources. Person can do research before going to the store and be little more knowledgeable when making a purchase. Thanks again guys.

Down to the color choice... :)

brians, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Yes, decking the trem is easy, and removes any trem problems for a beginner.

DougMen and dbrian66 like this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, SSS is classic.

Heck, if you wanna meet me in the Carle Place (LI) GC, I'd be happy to help you pick out a guitar. I'll be around that area tomorrow for lunch. :)

dbrian66 and snivlem like this.
  16. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Maybe if you help him out he can buy you a Larabar!

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  17. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I have a carton of Larabars. I used to bring them to school but man, they taste awful.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. drabina

drabina Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2019
    NJ
    Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, the drive to Carle Place is long for me and I do have a busy schedule tomorrow with kid's games. I may stop by at the Guitar Center in Paramus to check the guitars out. I am being drawn to the seafoam green Bullet Strat in SSS configuration. It has the tremolo but I really like the color. Already thinking of an amp that I can build and cover in matching tolex. Talking like a girl now.

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  19. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Hollah. The Seafoam green is a nice color.

Don't be surprised if you have a dozen guitars by Christmas. :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    If you are actually just beginning I recommend a nylon string classical acoustic. Get the basics down, style and tone is down the road a ways yet.

Keep it simple

dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice