How to determine guitar type for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by drabina, Mar 14, 2019.

1. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Moline, IL
    I'm totally on board with @Papa Joe 's suggestion. Part of learning guitar is learning to maintain it. A Telecaster or another guitar that's simple(er) to maintain is a wise start.

Squier Affinity Telecaster

I would add - don't go too cheap. Getting something that saves you money but has questionable intonation, machine heads that won't keep the guitar in tune, wonky electronics, etc., is just going to be discouraging and eventually wall decoration in a pawn store or the local Guitar Center.

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    A few accessories might be useful, such as a capo and either a gigbag or a guitar stand (to put away your guitar when you don't play it). A stand would make you want to pick it up and a bag would be handy to carry it around (for example to go to a guitar teacher's). A few private lessons with an instructor to help you start can make a huge difference imo.

dbrian66 and wildelectric like this.
  3. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Lucky you!

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. drabina

drabina Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2019
    NJ
    Wow. Tons of good info. Thanks again.

Good point about the tremolo. It was actually on my list of concerns. Musician Friend's has HT version of Bullet Strat for $150 which is only $30 more than the tremolo version. Would that be better or should I look for a Telecaster? I am still lost on all the pickup options/sounds and guitar versions.

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Whatever the guitar you end up with, you will need a tuner (you must always tune your guitar before playing). If you have a mobile phone, you can use a free app, for instance "Fender Tune".

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Don't let a Strat tremolo bridge concern you. You can have a guitar tech deck the bridge against the body when you have it setup, it will act just like a hardtail. Then later when you get more experience you can have it setup to floating.....

KG7IL, Davis Sharp, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  7. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Ya come to a squire strat forum and ask what guitar we would recommend. After pondering for a bit, I would strongly recommend a squire strat. I would get a standard or higher model, the CV's look cool. Now if ya want to spend mucho denro get ya a MIA (made in usa) Tele, what a sweet ax to play!!!

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Welcome! With the quality of the "entry level" guitars these days, pick a guitar that appeals to you and makes you want to pick it up and play it. There are certain colors of guitars I've had that played and sounded awesome but I didn't play them because of the color. We guitar nuts are a strange bunch. :D

Davis Sharp and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Welcome to Squier-Talk.

I started with a Strat (I still have it). I never gave any consideration to set-up, tremolo decking, whatever; because I didn't know what the hell any of that was. So, with an abundant amount of ignorance, I did not over-think it.

And you know what, it didn't matter. I played the hell out of that Strat and enjoyed it. I still do.

With all due respect to my fellow Squier-Talk members who don't recommend Strats as starter guitars, you should thank them for their time and opinions and buy the Strat anyway. Get the traditional model with three single coils and experiment with the switch selector.

You will never get close to Mark Knopfler's Strat sound with anything else.

Now let's talk about your second guitar. Either a Tele or a Les Paul would be a fine choice. For the latter, Epiphone is an excellent brand, but there are less expensive brands too.

brians, drabina, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  10. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Meister

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    And hey if you stick around this forum you’ll have three guitars by Halloween

11. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Ha, well... it gets a little messy with narrow nut widths, trying to finger just one string without muting the ones next to it.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

A lot of good advise here so far. You have a big decision ahead of you! LOL!

My two cents on the topic, the most important thing right now is getting a guitar that makes you want to play. Just being honest, it doesn’t matter what kind of guitar you get, your not going to sound like Mark Knopfler for a while. So go to a music store and just look around. You don’t even have to touch any of them. Find the one that you think is the coolest guitar there. Then pick it up and see how it feels sitting in your lap. If it’s all good then that’s the one you buy. Like others have said, pay the extra money to have someone set it up probably and then take it home and put it on a guitar stand somewhere that you will see it often. Hopefully you will pick it up and play a little every time you walk by!

And when you buy something, make sure you do a NGD thread here and show it off to all of us!

drabina, Eddie and Davis Sharp like this.
  13. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    hey - welcome to Squier-Talk!

I am going to echo what @Papa Joe and @wildelectric have said -- I usually recommend a Tele to a beginner as a first electric. No finicky Trem to set up, only 3 pickup combinations, wonderful iconic tone.

Telecaster = pure and simple

drabina, jjudas and dbrian66 like this.
  14. oneLOCOman

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Check out them Firefly guitars on Amazon. There around $135. Get a Bugera BC15 amp or a Monoprice 5W and ya got a sweet setup for around $250. Trust me I wouldn't steer ya wrong.:cool:

Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  15. drabina

drabina Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2019
    NJ
    This is my third attempt to learn guitar. First, I have tried an Yamaha acoustic but failed due to the time constrains and the high action. Couple of years later, I bought an electric Epiphone Les Paul Special II (used) in vintage sunburst. It was a lot easier to play than the acoustic but again, due to the limited space, I had to take the whole system out of the closet to practice then put it back. Failed again. Now, in my man-cave I can have a permanent setup. Third time's the charm, right?

So I know a bit about tuners, additional accessories, and the basics. I just don't know how to play and always wanted to learn.

Eddie, Davis Sharp, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  16. oneLOCOman

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    There are a lot of sites that teach guitar. Google top ten guitar teaching sites.

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. tortuga

tortuga Squier Talker

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
    It doesn’t really matter what kind it is, just that it is decent quality and setup well. My first guitar was a strat and I never had any issues with the tremolo. Just ask the store to set it up for you and then don’t get bored and start messing with it. Strats are much more tonally versatile than a tele and I agree they are the most comfortable with their contours. But again it doesn’t really matter. I would avoid amazon/ebay guitars because the quality can be random. Not a big deal later on but just potentially something to get in the way of learning now if you get one that has issues. Any Squier Bullet should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I would also recommend a Strat with a Humbucker at the bridge, so you can get Strat sounds from the front two pickups, and more Les Paul type tones from the bridge pickup. And I would stay away from tube amps at first, and instead I would opt for an affordable modeling amp, like the Vox VX1 or Fender Champion 20 (both of which are $100), which will give you a wide range of amp tones and effects to experiment with, so you can find out what types of amp sounds and effects that you prefer.
    You can get a Bullet Strat with a HB bridge pickup for $150, or for $50 more an Affinity Strat with a HB bridge pickup. The Bullet is a hardtail, and the Affinity has the Strat style trem which to me is one of the high points of the Strat sound. 0371005506_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg 0370700564_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg VX1_CP_VSR.jpg Fender_Champion20_2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Most important: find a good guitar tech ... they don't hang out at GC. A good tech can take any starter guitar and fretwork plus setup have it playing like a model that costs 10x the price.
    Find this guy and you can buy used guitars.

+1 get a 'hard tail' non-tremolo guitar.
    Acoustic guitars (saw a pick in someone's post above) have higher string tension and are harder to play than electric. They are also loud all the time where an electric can be played unplugged.

If you have medium to larger hands you may find a 'chunkier neck' is easier to play than a 'skinny fast neck'. I regretted getting a skinny neck guitar, all Squier Strats are skinny. Some Squier Teles are skinny some are bigger, but it's hit/miss even within models.

Epiphone Special II is a good starting platform. No trem, chunkier neck, inexpensive. I have a Junior (single pickup version) that gets played more than the top end guitars I have.

If you want to spend a little more, a used MIM Fender Tele is a great choice, used PRS SE models are too.

You can hard-tail or block the trem on any Strat so not all is lost if you want to start there.

drabina and dbrian66 like this.
  20. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'm going to recommend getting an electric guitar that doesn't have a tremolo. Epiphone Specials or Squier Bullet Telecasters is a good starting place to look. I learned on an acoustic and a SG. Whatever you choose, make sure you get it set up. If you do get a Strat, you can deck the tremolo and use it as a hardtail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice