How often do you switch to a new pick?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by stratman420, Jun 16, 2019.

1. VMamp

VMamp Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I gave up on 'picks' a long time ago and use my fingers 95% of the time, there are odd occasions where I use one, usually not too thick and prefer them small - Gibson do a nice range. The nice thing about Strats is I can slip one under the scratch plate so it is there if I need it.

Flying Z and stratman420 like this.
  2. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I replace my pic with a new one when I lose my current one.
    I use the Dunlop Purple, I think they are 1.14 mm.
    They way I pick, they never wear out... the Stamp on them wears away after awhile though.

Flying Z and stratman420 like this.
  3. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Ha ha, I still have the dozen picks I got at a guitar store that popped up for a short time in the mall my parents took us to “Brookfield Square” near Milwaukee) in ... oh, 1984? They’re just normal picks, but they have a hole drilled in them, for better grip, or something. I had one hanging on the pup selector switch of whatever guitar I was playing from then until recently... I put them away so my kids wouldn’t lose them, and now I don’t remember where they are :p

4. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    I use Dunlop max grip .88, haven't needed to throw any away yet.

stratman420 and Jim Belaye like this.
  5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    I use big stuby's 3mm
    I need to get a 2-3. 6 packs a year.

Matt Shevell and stratman420 like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I play 97% of the time with my fingers .

I like to hit the pic with a nail file to get it back right.

Robb and stratman420 like this.
  7. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I play guitar with a pick about 90% of the time and bass about 10%. I have a small cup full of them by my computer in my studio. I also have a bunch in a drawer in the living room. There are usually a few on any end table/dresser/counter top, as well as in my pocket and sometimes in my van. (I never play guitar in my van)
    I’ll bet there are 5-10 on the floor around the house and another 5-500 in the couch.
    I don’t have a go-to brand, color or texture, but I always use thin picks for guitar and thick picks for bass.
    I might break one pick a year.

Matt Shevell and stratman420 like this.
  8. Someone here a year or more ago, had a case to hold and display their picks. If you're into pics and selecting the one you want, it seemed very forward thinking.
    Cheers, Barrie.

stratman420 likes this.
  9. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Like, were they special picks for display, like, from concerts or something, or did he just have a plastic case or something to store them in by brand, thickness, etc...? I could see a small tackle box being good used to keep picks, strings, and other tools that might come in handy such as screw drivers and allen wrenches. But, to have on display, I usually have at least two picks on my desk at all times, and the others are in a round plastic container.

EDIT: Even though my pick of preference are the regular orange Dunlop Tortex .60mm I recently got some Dunlop Tortex "THE WEDGE" picks in .88mm and I think I will try their .60mm and switch to those. I didn't know what the difference was, so when I got back I looked it up and it said: "These picks feature the same feel and tone as Tortex Standard Picks with larger gripping surface for added control and a sharper tip increased precision." They feel amazing, I love the sharper tip and the wider gripping surface, even though it's not by much, it still feels much better. Here is a picture of two brand new .88 new ones side by side, the standard tortex and the wedge. .88mm are great for my guitar in Drop B with heavier gauge strings, but I mainly play my Strats which have 10-46s and I love .60mm for that.

20190617_030624.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    When my chair consumes yet another...:mad:

11. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    when they crack/break..

If I do use a pick, it's usually a thin fender celluloid. sometimes a medium. Over the years I've seem to have tried them all in various sizes shapes and materials.

Most often tortoise, but I found a couple packs of Fender California picks in a translucent pink and yellow. for whatever reason, those are pretty good for me.. when I use a pick. I split them with my daughter and I misplaced what I had so I've been using a free thin pick I picked out of the bin last time I was at Chicago Music Exchange.

12. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I used the same Clayton USA 2.0mm pick for over 10 years, although I didn't play nearly as much with it in the latter five as in the first five. When I was getting back into playing a lot last year I figured I'd try to track down more of them because I love them so much, and remembering the eagle logo led me to Clayton USA- just to find they'd been discontinued!

But the lady who was working their customer service email found an unsold bag of them in the stock room and sold it to me for $30 USD (50 picks, I think). They had changed the logo from an eagle to a raven, which is perfectly fine with me. If each one gives me 5 years of playing that bag should last me another 200 years or so, even with the ones I gave away.

13. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    I generally lose them before I wear them out lol

I was using the Jazz III xl for years that seemed to last forever but I recently switched to the Dunlop Flow Andy James model (jumbo 2.0mm flow) So I have no idea on the wear with these yet. They are Ultex so they will probably will last awhile....until I drop it and it runs off to hide with all the jazz 3s hahaha

so1om likes this.
  14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    did you check the clothes dryer?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice