HOW LONG HAVE YOU NOT PLAYED??

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Tconroy, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I injured my middle finger March 1st at work at it took till the 14th before they would send me to the doctor
    I have worn a splint for 7 days and just got it off but my finger is still a little sore and Im dying to play. So the longest I have gone is 7 days but I probably wont get to play for another seven days and I am worried I am going to forget ( muscle memory wise) things that I know. Anybody else experienced any long delays like this where you cant play for 2 weeks??

wonkenstein and SquierTap like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    I have gone over 6-8 months without playing....many times.....

SquierTap likes this.
  3. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
  4. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    15 months of no playing during a military deployment.

We took leave in Bahrain and there was a cheapo classical being used as wall decoration in the hotel we were put up in.

It was between convincing the staff to let me unscrew it from the wall and tune it or drinking and causing other trouble for 48 hours. The guitar lost that debate.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I have gone a week, or two occasionally, when I have had to travel. It is kind of funny, but it seems like after a week or so of not playing, things are actually easier/smoother (go figure)

I do have to say that I just don't feel "right" unless I get in at least 15 minutes each day. I even bought an acoustic guitar to keep at my parents place in FL for the few weeks a year I am visiting them, (next week, for example - looking forward to re-uniting w "Sandy")

6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I think most of you guys know about my "weird" finger, lol... I was putting up breakfast at the hotel I worked at and a pitcher of O.J. slipped outta my hand, fell in the sink, broke, bounced back up a little and JUST nicked my flexor tendon... Of course at the time, the hospital treated me for a "superficial" cut, stitches, bandage, and sent me home...
    After the bandages came off a week and a half later, my finger was SUPER stiff, but I thought, "Of course, it's stiff... It's been bandaged almost 2 weeks..."
    Another week went by... Still nothin... Won't bend... So I go back to the doctor and he looks at it and tells me that I cut my flexor tendon... I said, "Great... How do we fix it?" And he said, "We don't... If you cut a tendon, you've got about 24 hours to fix it, and if ya don't, it simply draws up and that's that..."

Now, everybody knows that was 9 years ago, and NOW I'm actually much better than before I cut it... But for a couple months I thought I would never play again, and that was a dark, dark, period of my life...

But the point is;
    Don't rush it... Rest it... Get it back right THEN start putting it through the ol proverbial paces... The LAST thing ya wanna do is rush it and maybe mess something up... Fully not worth it...
    I agree, a week SEEMS like forever... But trust me, that's not forever...

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Hmmm ... from 1982 to ... 6 years ago.

daan and duzie like this.
  8. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  9. bigal1000

bigal1000 Squier-Meister

May 20, 2018
    NH
    Jerry Garcia played without a finger !!

10. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I packed a disassembled Strat copy and little amp in a Tuff Box shipped to Iraq. :D

11. HOW LONG HAVE YOU NOT PLAYED??

The first 9 years of my life on this planet. :D
    Cheers, Barrie.

Loin Lover and brians like this.
  12. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

I've gone years at one point in my life …..it's like riding a bike, muscle memory hangs out a long time.

stratman420 likes this.
  13. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Had a bad car accident many years ago, never thought I would be able to play again, couldn't even walk for 6 months , didn't play for over a year, it came straight back, little rusty perhaps, but if it's in you, it doesn't go away. And I was " jonesing" as the saying goes to play. I think that's why I play 3/4 hours a day now when I can, every day. If I don't play I get in a bad mood, seriously. But don't stress , it stays with you. It's like riding a bike.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

14. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2016
    Years...

The most common work related injury involving the middle finger that I am aware of usually results in termination of employment! So, I guess that's NOT what happened to you... :)

surfrodguitar and brians like this.
  15. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    You won't forget anything. You'll still have muscle memory. But you'll have the hand strength and calluses of a small child ;-) Seriously, I took a month off last December and traveled. Didn't touch a guitar for almost a month. I sure did pay for that vacation away from playing on the first gig though!

16. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Like SquierTap and Brians say ..... and if you do have to go a while without playing you'll still be OK. It'll come back. It might come back differently because you're not going to stop listening and hearing things and you won't stop getting new ideas for things you want to play.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    About 5 years between when I graduated college until I got my computer career underway after I left the USMC. I've taken a couple of other hiatuses of about 2 years each, the most recent was around 2010. I was mainly concentrating on career and side contracting jobs during those times.

18. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Meister

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    From 88 TIL last October!

duzie likes this.
  19. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I don't know that we are uniform in such things, but my experience with motor memory is that it is amazingly lasting.

I've gone without playing guitar for up to a month during long traveling vacations, with no loss at all. But I went without playing the sitar for many, MANY years, and while my skills diminished the muscle memory that remained astounded me.

Back when Jan and I were a couple in 1968 I wrote a piece for her entitled "Raag fo Jan." Forty years later in 2013, upon getting a new instrument, I put not my mind, but my fingers, to it and recorded this. No, not equal in complexity or fluidity to what I was able to play then, but considering the years that had past, rather amazing.

-don

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  20. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    mid 2008-2010 I wasn't playing guitar, because I was playing drums full time for a few different bands. 2014-2018 I didn't play much at all, maybe once or twice a year, as I was busy focusing on music production with my midi controller. Been playing daily since November of 2018, and don't desire or plan on ever taking a break again.

As many have mentioned, muscle memory is a great thing, like riding a bike as someone said. After each of my breaks, my fingers don't move as fast for the first few days or first week, and my picking hand isn't as fast, but I quickily fix that by practicing tremelo picking, down picking at fast speeds, and going through scales. After about 7 days I'm usually back to normal. Building up the calluses again is kind of a pain though, but that doesn't take too long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice