How did you pick your screen name? What does it mean?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Jun 17, 2019.

1. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    But hey .... the venues and online platforms may change, but DJ Granite remains. Solid as a rock.... makes sense, right?

Flying Z and ElRey67 like this.
  2. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Have to agree - the Alvin brothers were definitely ahead of the pack with this one and their live shows made real believers. Some years ago (early 90s?) Dave Alvin released a solo album called "Public Domain" - a project he put together which was basically folk songs handed down over several generations where no specific writer is credited - all in the public domain - so this maybe this project was one of the reasons we have Americana.

3. LittleGiant

LittleGiant Squier-Meister

Apr 4, 2019
    Norway
    Picked the name of my amp (Blackheart Little Giant), easy to remember. Thougt Blackheart was a little "over the top".

Flying Z, ElRey67 and drewcp like this.
  4. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Conghaille is one of many historical Gaelic spellings of my last name: Connolly (pronounced roughly the same). My family has tended to like this for some reason, even though we are pretty distantly Irish, and quite a mix by now.

I used it for years online, since it tends to remain unused, and over time most people have reduced it phonetically to “Kong”, which also works.

Flying Z, Eddie, ElRey67 and 3 others like this.
  5. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

It all started back in the '90's, I guess, became hooked on mountainbiking, had (still have, actually) a Trek Fuel 90 …..a mtb forum was the first internet forum I joined, so went with "Fuelish," combining the Fuel name and a play on "foolish," which I'm known to be on occasion(s). It stuck, and have used it for most every forum I've joined....although at this point in my life, cycling has fallen by the wayside for now....a-fib and arthritis/tendonitis/gout put a damper on one of my favorite things. The bike is refurbished, tuned, and ready to ride, but....after a week of work, I'm ready to just sit with a guitar in my lap... Carry on, folks

6. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Do I REALLY need to explain mine?

Flying Z, Eddie, ElRey67 and 4 others like this.
  7. Paul1985

Paul1985 Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2019
    England
    My name plus a really great year for me and music and pop culture in particular good albums by w.a.s.p. Ratt, dokken ,Bon jovi . Films like Rambo, commando ,back to the future, view to a kill, live aid, plus loads of cool stuff happening for me

Flying Z and Eddie like this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    We were 15 in 1985. There were some great releases that year.

My favorites were:

Fates Warning - the Spectre Within
    Helloween - Walls of Jericho (though I didn't get to know about Helloween until the Keeper I in 1987)
    Dokken - Under Lock and Key
    Magnum - On a Storyteller's Night
    Scorpions - World Wide Live

That's about it. When you're 15, there isn't much money to buy albums ... but trading tapes was great !!!

Flying Z and Paul1985 like this.
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Hmmm ....

A windsurfing friend used to call me Johnny (my first name is Jean French for John) and it somehow evolved to Johnny B Good. So, BGood was my nick on the first forum I was on, a windsurfing one of course. Since I am of the early windsurfing generation (early 80's) and I worked in the business for a while, the founder of the web site asked me if I could lead a new section that would be like a question-answer thing. I said why not and we called it the Dr BGood clinic. I'd answer ANYTHING remotely related to windsurfing. Could be as goofy as: what is the fastest color for a windsurfing board, to a fluid dynamics related question. Did that for 5 or 6 years and it was fun. I think the 200 or so question-answers are still loating out there somewhere.

On most forums I'm on it's BGood (not that many actually ...) but here it was already taken, so I became a doctor again.

Flying Z, Eddie and Davis Sharp like this.
  10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I was a member of an old west re-enactment group, and cowboys are always broke,, so Owen I’d a good old fashioned name and Money was so,etching cowboys never had much of so I figured cowboys were always owenmoney to someone !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flying Z, corn, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Paul1985

Paul1985 Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2019
    England
    Tapes ruled

Eddie likes this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I almost forgot ...

Zeno Roth - Zeno
    Phenomena - Phenomena

Two great but unheralded releases from 1985. Great year for music. :)

Flying Z and Paul1985 like this.
  13. Paul1985

Paul1985 Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2019
    England
    I remember watching battle star galactica , airwolf knight rider etc on tv too

14. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    ha ha. Battlestar Galactica was one of my favorite shows. :)

The guy who played Apollo went to write the Battlestar Galactica novel series. I should look into them. :)

15. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier-Meister

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    For the sake of full disclosure and with the assurance of total anonymity, my first name is John . With the exception of my wife, almost everyone has called me "Biddlin" for the last 40 years. If you Googled my full name, you would find a long list of musicians and choirmasters, many of us cousins . One such cousin is now an Austin studio musician of considerable fame . After a couple of years out on the road, I realised that people sometimes confused us (at that time our 8X10 headshots could have been the same guy) and when I ended up in a band with two other guys named John, my agent/manager suggested I choose a stagename . Across the way from my favourite local was a plumbing supplies store owned, according to the large wooden sign out front, by Messrs. Biddle & Foster . I have been Biddlin Foster, ever since, except for 45,000 hours during which, under duress, I played this square named "John", who never screwed up and respected authority.
    I often wonder if our given names or our chosen ones, for that matter, predispose us to certain interests or skills ?

16. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Yes I used my birth name too, my last name is Husk. Why my parents did this to me I’ll never know

No not really the band is called cornfed and I have my name cornfed on another forum so I just went by my first name: Corn :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice